Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my girlfriend wants to ride my Harley!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007 | 10:25 PM
HeatherC
Extreme HDF Member
Default RE: my girlfriend wants to ride my Harley!!

ORIGINAL: boone432

well i dont know if shes THAT serious about riding. i think she just wants to do it to say she did it...ya know????
Ut oh. That's how it started with me. I was just going to make it go and stop. There was no looking back. I hadmy own Harley threemonths later.

Old 05-15-2007 | 10:30 PM
boone432
|
Road Captain

alright i think im just gonna let her do it!!! i would love it if she was interested enough to have her own.... im just worried that she cant handle it at 110 pds. ill let you know how she does!!!

Old 05-15-2007 | 10:34 PM
OldFenderGuy
Ultimate HDF Member

I don't care who the person is, if I don't feel that they have enough experience and skill, they don't ride any of my bikes.

I don't beat around the bush, I just tell them straight up that it's nothing personal, but for their safety (and the bikes) I don't feel comfortable allowing them to ride.

They might not like or respect your decision, but you have to do what you feel is best.

Old 05-15-2007 | 10:38 PM
rickb
Road Captain

Dont do it. Long time ago (1982) I let this girl I was living with take my old sporty out. I was at work when I got home she was on the couch hurting. I went out back my ole' bike was bent, the rim was in the frame. She was at a stop sign reved it up and let the clucth fly, she ran straight into an electric pole. the frame was bent, the forks toast, rim gone, triple trees wasted and the tank bent. Never again did my little head take over when it came to any of my bikes. At least it was an old AMF sporty. No way on a $16,000 night train. But that's just me.

Old 05-15-2007 | 10:52 PM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member

ORIGINAL: boone432

she says shell just drive it in the yard but if she drops it in the yard, there will still be damage.
You ever try riding your own Harley in "the yard?" Best way I can think of for a newbie to dump a bike. If you do it, send her down the street.

Old 05-15-2007 | 10:59 PM
BoneCrusher
Road Master

Tell he to take the MSF course to show you she's serious and explain to her that you don't want her hurting herself. Then she can use a small bike at the class and learn how to ride at the same time.

Old 05-16-2007 | 12:57 AM
Nasty350LT1
Cruiser

Never going to happen.

If she wants to a Harley, take her to a dealer and have her go for a "Test Ride"
on one of their bikes, similar to yours...

Case closed.

Love is cheap, Harleys are expensive.

Old 05-16-2007 | 01:56 AM
baustaedter
Advanced

The question that is still open is: Has she ridden a motorcycle before? And even if - what I always found adds to the difficulty is handling a big V2 at low speeds - they need a lot of clutch slipping not to stall. If she doesn't know how to do that to some extent, the engine might die and whooops ... new parts to order

Old 05-16-2007 | 02:05 AM
ga4boats
Road Warrior

No win situation for you! 110 lbs.?To me that means limited strength to ride a big twin sized bike. Heck, she may have trouble riding a sporty. Find someone with a 2-stroke dirt bike - nice and light and dropable in the yard without damage. After a couple of twists of the throttle, her desire for riding will be cured.

Old 05-16-2007 | 02:07 AM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member

Uhm.....no. If she was your wife, maybe. But she's not. And you are posting the question here so its likely not serious enough for you to consider marriage. My point being the relationship is not serious enough for you to risk her, yourself, or your bike.

Too many risks. Sure the bike might get hurt. More importantly, she could too.

Consider this....You give in because she won't let up about it. She dumps it and gets hurt. Imagine it playing out like this...

Bike is toast. Insurance rates go up. You are out a ride until its either fixed or totaled and you get a check. That check will likely not cover your loss in full. She's hurt. Turned a foot around the wrong way or something. Turns out she'll have scars and problems walking for the rest of her life. Suddenly you are facing a lawsuit. She says you need to pay her. Its your fault she fell. It was your bike. You told her to ride it. But you only gave in to her non-stop asking. But the judge sees it differently because girls make better sympathetic witnesses in court.

You are sad. You have no girlfriend anymore. No house cause you had to sell it to pay the lawyer. No money. And most important, no bike. Oh yeah, and your dog ditches you too 'cause he can't believe you let her ride.

Tell her no. If she really cares about you, she'll understand.

Quick Reply: my girlfriend wants to ride my Harley!!