Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reliability Upgrades 2004 FXST

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2016 | 09:12 PM
panhead_pete
|
Cruiser
Default Reliability Upgrades 2004 FXST

Apologies in advance for what may be a simple question but looking at buying my 1st TC since '99 and if I did what upgrades would be needed for a 2004 FXST with 35K miles to improve its reliability - I understand there is a potential issue with cam tensioners but know no more than that although have been doing some reading up on it

Looking at buying something that will be super reliable as I already have some shovels and a pan

Anything besides the usual I should check for when looking at it?

Thanks
Pete

Last edited by panhead_pete; 03-29-2016 at 11:59 PM.
Old 04-02-2016 | 03:41 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

The main issue with that year was the spring tensioners.....

There are two ways to fix it:
1) the SE hybrid cam plate; It allows the use of any pre-'07 cam with hydraulic tensioners and an o-ring cam chain on the front of the cam plate only!You reuse the older style chain on the cam sprockets on the rear of the cam plate. A lot of people believe that the spring tension is only one factor for the fast wear on the early tensioners. The type of chain is another big factor...

2) Get conversion cams and use the '07+ cam plate. The conversion cams will allow you to convert to the hydraulic tensioners AND have the o-ring cam chains on both front and back of cam plate.

The only downside to #2, is that you can't use your current cam. You will have to get a special cam, called a conversion cam. The selection is not as great as just buying a pre '07 or post '07 cam. Plus, you will need to retune for the new cams.... (NOTE: tuning the delphi ECM is a lot easier than tuning the MM ECM like on your '99 TC)

I am getting ready to do the cam tensioners on my '03 Heritage. It has a big bore kit with SE203 cams and runs real well. Although I don't feel I need new cams performance wise, I really want to go to both o-ring chains on the cams.... and I can't resist the desire to try a new cam..

I am going the new style cam plate/conversion cam route. I found that the Woods TW6-6R cams are almost identical to the SE203 cams. I'll get a new tune from Fuelmoto and flash it to my bike with my PV...

Enjoy the new bike....!!

Last edited by hattitude; 04-02-2016 at 06:57 PM.
Old 04-02-2016 | 06:00 PM
the blob
Road Warrior

If it were me I'd upgrade the tension shoes with cyco shoes
And avoid doing all the above. They are cheap and made of a
Different harder wearing material..

Old 04-02-2016 | 06:56 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by the blob
If it were me I'd upgrade the tension shoes with cyco shoes
And avoid doing all the above. They are cheap and made of a
Different harder wearing material..
Oops, I forgot about Cyco shoes.......

#3) Just replace the spring tensioner shoes with Cyco shoes..... Certainly the cheapest and easiest of the fixes...

I just don't think I could remove the cam plate without wanting to try a new cam.... yes, it's a sickness...

Old 04-02-2016 | 06:56 PM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member

Those were some of the Good Motor years , beside the Cam chain tensioner

Old 04-02-2016 | 07:27 PM
the blob
Road Warrior

Yeah, ther early twin cams are my favorite. I really think the best for h-d was 2000-2006.

Old 04-07-2016 | 11:35 AM
panhead_pete
|
Cruiser

Thanks fellas - replacing the shoes sounds like the way to go forward

Appreciate the help!

Old 04-07-2016 | 07:33 PM
imboden
Stellar HDF Member

I have a 2005.

I'm super mechanical but still paid the 1,000 bucks to have an indy do my cam stuff. I figured while the shoes got changed I may as well pay for a lil bigger cam. Not huge, but I can tell in the seat of my pants.

The only other problem I've had is my speed sensor going out 2 different times. I'm not sure why. The bike would idle bad and die at a stop, self cancel signals wouldn't work ect. Anyways, other than that my scoot has been pretty bombproof.

Changed to a harley springer fork on the front so I can't speak to the wide glide forks.

Built two shovels, one pan. This TC88 is the best I've had.

Old 04-07-2016 | 07:47 PM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member

You don't Hear people say that much , but the TwinCam is a Good Motor

Old 04-08-2016 | 03:52 AM
panhead_pete
|
Cruiser

Imboden and any one else that has a few moments to chime in what cams did you go to with the upgrade? Im happy to do simple mechanical work but will be getting a shop to do this work with a view of going to 95" some time later when a top end would need to be done

Last edited by panhead_pete; 04-08-2016 at 07:20 AM.

Quick Reply: Reliability Upgrades 2004 FXST