Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CVO Breakout

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016 | 12:51 PM
burnsy87
Tourer

Originally Posted by fake
Saw one last week. IMO, the CVO kills what I like about the breakout. No rake and no big front wheel.

Other than that, I like the headlight cowl and chin spoiler.
Agreed. I'd love a chin spoiler on my Breakout. I very much dislike the front end of the CVO.

Old 03-28-2016 | 04:17 PM
SSTuner
Supporter

I test rode a "big wheel" Breakout and I can tell you that my 2016 CVO Pro Street Breakout is more crisp in turns and the front suspension absorbs the road bumps much better.

Old 03-28-2016 | 07:35 PM
FatKen
Tourer

I would love to have the 240 on my Fat Boy Lo!

Old 03-29-2016 | 10:07 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by SSTuner
I test rode a "big wheel" Breakout and I can tell you that my 2016 CVO Pro Street Breakout is more crisp in turns and the front suspension absorbs the road bumps much better.
Yeh the smaller front wheel will have faster steering response just by nature of less rotational inertia, and the vrod forks are obviously a better design. it's all fixable to a very good degree on the 21" wheel bikes for about $500 though (120/70 tire, better springs and dampers).

But really funny you're knocking the "big wheel" Breakouts because that disproportionately larger wheel is one of the main stylings of a Pro Street type of bike, and has been a key element to the BO's specific model line since introduced. that's why so many of us were doing the "WTF" with the small wheel as it changes the overall look of the bike. the rest of the bike is very nicely done.

Here's some info on the Pro Street heritage and typical styling associated with this type of bike.
http://www.custom-choppers-guide.com...-choppers.html
http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/05/20...om-motorcycle/
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/chopper-profiles6.htm

The following users liked this post:
FXSE (03-29-2016)
Old 03-29-2016 | 01:10 PM
matte
Stellar HDF Member

So I swung through the HD site to see if they had the new CVO seat as an option for other models. Didn't see it...but I saw a solo bobber seat listed as a CVO option...but not for any other models. Would they have seriously made a CVO that different so you can't have compatibility with other breakout models?

Old 03-29-2016 | 02:42 PM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by LA_Dog

Here's some info on the Pro Street heritage and typical styling associated with this type of bike....

... http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/05/20/paul-jr-designs-pro-street-
I think that one's a darned nice looking bike. Can't see any reason why it couldn't be built around a suspension frame (rather than being built on a rigid frame) to make it a "rider", as opposed to a show bike.

One cosmetic change I'd make is going with true clip-on handlebars, versus the "clubman" bars. Another practical change I'd make is mid controls, to fit better with the forward-lean riding position.

Last edited by Warp Factor; 03-29-2016 at 02:54 PM.
Old 03-29-2016 | 07:38 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Warp Factor
I think that one's a darned nice looking bike. Can't see any reason why it couldn't be built around a suspension frame (rather than being built on a rigid frame) to make it a "rider", as opposed to a show bike.

One cosmetic change I'd make is going with true clip-on handlebars, versus the "clubman" bars. Another practical change I'd make is mid controls, to fit better with the forward-lean riding position.
yeh you totally nailed that- would be pretty dang uncomfortable with those bars plus the forward controls. but what a looker eh? real work of art. I could see how this can be translated to a softail frame, especially the Breakout or Rocker. Next project Warp?

Old 05-06-2016 | 10:49 AM
mseymour3
Tourer

What would it take to get the inverted forks from the prostreet breakout added to a earlier standard breakout? Then you keep the 21 in front but have inverted and more blacked out front forks. Obviously the forks would not be cheap but what else would be involved in that kind of a swap?

Michael

Old 05-06-2016 | 12:21 PM
Berick
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Doc4545
Stopped in the dealer to look at the Low Rider S but the Breakout really knocked my socks off. I would have to be in the "stupid rich" category to consider ever buying one, not something I think I'll need to deal with

Yup, I saw that the other day too.... it's a beauty!

Old 05-06-2016 | 12:31 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

just a real basic guess- the forks should fit the frame ok, you'd need to revise the fender mount so it clears a 21" wheel, need to make sure a dual disc setup can go onto your 21" wheel- or do away with the fork right side caliper. not sure what effect that may have on the ABS or overall braking up front though. maybe re-use your stock caliper and master.

Might be better to get a set of inverted forks from Ohlins special order like they did for the SSR Breakout (google it if you have not seen it), or a set of Ceriani's, or a set of Mean Street forks. Any of these three would be superior in performance and sleeker looking than the HD setup. Here's a related thread: http://www.clubchopper.com/forums/al...ront-ends.html

Quick Reply: CVO Breakout