Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil level question

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2016, 05:35 PM
1004ron
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by martin10
If you don't vent the crank to atmosphere and leave it in the air cleaner you will get oil mist pulled into the air cleaner. It makes a mess and hurts performance. Some people leave their oil level below full to prevent this. That is why some people posted about leaving the oil level half a quart low. Not a good solution in my opinion. Thats all.
Originally Posted by texno57
Really? Don't think i have ever heard that before, do they come from factory that way from some EPA standard?
Yes, really.

If you haven't heard of it before shows that you haven't been around much.

Of course they come from the factory with the crankcase vents into the engine air intake to meet EPA requirements, but that does not mean that it's best for the engine.
It causes carbon fouling in the combustion chamber, and often wets the air cleaner element with oil.

The following users liked this post:
martin10 (03-27-2016)
Old 03-26-2016, 05:43 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,394 Likes on 5,002 Posts

Originally Posted by joe10softail
I changed my engine oil an it says 4 quarts it only took 3 an showing on the stick its full? Is that right?
If you read 4 quarts you must be looking at the capacity for some other model...

The capacity for a Softail tank is about 2-1/2 quarts, Evo or TC.

Old 03-26-2016, 06:36 PM
texno57
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1004ron
Yes, really.

If you haven't heard of it before shows that you haven't been around much.

Of course they come from the factory with the crankcase vents into the engine air intake to meet EPA requirements, but that does not mean that it's best for the engine.
It causes carbon fouling in the combustion chamber, and often wets the air cleaner element with oil.

I'm sorry i haven't "been around." I was just asking a question, no need to get defensive or whatever that was.

I new they vented back in, just didn't know for sure why if it was bad for the engine. Although if you look at a lot if not most automobiles do this, and there are a lot of vehicles with a high amount of miles on them, it makes me wonder how bad could it be unless you were to overfill your oil.

Just my two cents, i don't know a lot, that's why i'm on the forum.

Old 03-26-2016, 06:46 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by texno57
I'm sorry i haven't "been around." I was just asking a question, no need to get defensive or whatever that was.

I new they vented back in, just didn't know for sure why if it was bad for the engine. Although if you look at a lot if not most automobiles do this, and there are a lot of vehicles with a high amount of miles on them, it makes me wonder how bad could it be unless you were to overfill your oil.

Just my two cents, i don't know a lot, that's why i'm on the forum.
best to ignore members full of them selfs and respond only to members who want to help, rather then put you down. Those we call trolls. Don't feed them and they'll go away.
Not callin you a troll Ron. Just tryin to make a point.

Last edited by splattttttt; 03-26-2016 at 06:49 PM.
Old 03-26-2016, 06:50 PM
texno57
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by splattttttt
best to ignore members full of them selfs and respond only to members who want to help, rather then put you down. Those we call trolls. Don't feed them and they'll go away.
Good call, been on the forum for a while just don't comment too much. Thanks for the advice

Old 03-26-2016, 06:58 PM
1004ron
Road Warrior

Not callin you a troll Ron. Just tryin to make a point.
Look back at the manner in which the query was presented - it was suggestive that the other member didn't know what he was talking about.

Just to add, yes cars have used the Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) for some time, and it does cause fouling, and this has become even more problematic with the latest Gas Direct Injection (GDI) with Turbo engines.
Many folks add catch cans to the PCV system to minimise the fouling.

Another EPA device that causes fouling of throttle bodies is the Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR), which your engine could do without.

Last edited by 1004ron; 03-26-2016 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-26-2016, 07:08 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

I don't know anything about an EGR Ron. Would be nice if cyou would elaborate here since it relates well with all that is anti EPA. And I hope you didn't take my comment oersonal please. The OP felt like you may have come on harsh. Since he/she is knew here, I thought that commenting that trolling does not need to be tolerated. But always its best to ignore.
Lets just drop that part since there has not yet been any finger pointing, Cool? Thanks!

Old 03-26-2016, 07:14 PM
1004ron
Road Warrior

I don't know anything about an EGR Ron. Would be nice if cyou would elaborate here since it relates well with all that is anti EPA. And I hope you didn't take my comment oersonal please. The OP felt like you may have come on harsh. Since he/she is knew here, I thought that commenting that trolling does not need to be tolerated. But always its best to ignore.
Lets just drop that part since there has not yet been any finger pointing, Cool? Thanks!
Here's a fairly good write-up on the EGR - a few manufacturers used it to reduce the NOx emissions.

http://www.cambustion.com/products/egr

Not heard of it on motorcycles.

Old 03-26-2016, 07:42 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by 1004ron
Here's a fairly good write-up on the EGR - a few manufacturers used it to reduce the NOx emissions.

http://www.cambustion.com/products/egr

Not heard of it on motorcycles.
got it! Looks to be more of an issue related to diesel fuel. But not limited to regular gas. I'm guessing that O2 sensors work in a similar fashion. Hence the reason why an EGR is not required on bikes. Not yet anyway LOL

Old 03-26-2016, 07:50 PM
1004ron
Road Warrior

got it! Looks to be more of an issue related to diesel fuel. But not limited to regular gas. I'm guessing that O2 sensors work in a similar fashion. Hence the reason why an EGR is not required on bikes. Not yet anyway LOL
The gas engines use EGR extensively, with O2 sensors.

It all depends on the manufacturer what technology they use to achieve EPA compliance.