Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil light and first start up of the year.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 07:37 AM
galaxyfe
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Oh no, no worries there. I get the mechanics behind it and what's occurring. Also not concerned about damage. But clearly the design is to retain the oil in the tank. Seems to me there must be a component (I'm thinking check valve) allowing this to occur. Potential problem I see with this is overfilling with oil depending on how fast your leak is and when you check your oil.

Old 03-25-2016, 07:59 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,467 Likes on 5,048 Posts

Originally Posted by galaxyfe
So why didn't mine drain in 4+ months if so common?
Common does not mean they all do it...

Old 03-25-2016, 12:07 PM
racerkvn
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

I think it depends on how the oil pump vanes are lined up when it's shut down as to how quick or how slow the oil will weep past the pump and into the case.

Old 03-25-2016, 09:06 PM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by racerkvn
I think it depends on how the oil pump vanes are lined up when it's shut down as to how quick or how slow the oil will weep past the pump and into the case.
Also there are no one way check valves to keep this from happening. One less thing to break. Basically, it is an open system.

Last edited by Gommee; 03-25-2016 at 09:09 PM.
Old 03-26-2016, 02:46 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,280 Likes on 4,445 Posts

I'm no expert, but I had it happen to my Heritage and I did some research on it. Here's some of what I read that causes sumping;

1. Out of tolerance scavenge side of oil pump (wear or minor scoring damage from debris).... This seems to be the most common cause I found, discussed about engines that ran well and started sumping as miles/age ad up.

2. Seal of oil pump miss aligned with the scavenge port hole of the engine case. This is caused during installation of cam plate during cam chest work.

I've read that twin cams are not designed to sump, with components in good condition they shouldn't sump, but if it does, it's usually not a major issue.... Don't check the oil cold (unless you want to overfill and have the dipstick pop out) and drive slowly at first start to allow oil to be pumped back into the oil tank...

However... if it starts sumping so badly, that more than about 10oz of oil stay in the cam chest, the bike will lose power and run poorly. This condition is usually cause by pinched/damaged/missing cam plate o-rings during installation or damage to the oil pump gerotors....

FWIW.......

Old 03-26-2016, 09:14 PM
galaxyfe
Tourer

Yes...sumping...IMO, not good. The tank typically "should not" drain. That should not be common for a dry sump oil system. Too much oil in the case and the crank will splash in the oil. This is what causes the power loss. Worse yet, a crank splashing in oil will cause the oil to foam and an oil pump will not pump air. Insert your own conclusions as to what results if that starts to happen. I know the day my tank starts to completely drain into the crank over any amount of time, I'll be investigating why. To each his own, but I'm with hattitude that this is not normal.

Old 03-27-2016, 08:17 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

I'm with you and hattitude also. 2014 Slim w/ over 12k mi. so far and although bike never sits for more than two weeks with that occasional but rare three week period because I'm a ahemm; 1%'r all year long rider (that's what 1% really means b: ), well, my tank level stays where where it should.
Should probably add that after the initial 500mi. break in I quickly switched to Mobil sinth 20/50 to which after 1,000 miles has been AMSoil product in all three holes.
I ride it like I stole it too. Can't help it LOL

Old 03-27-2016, 09:03 AM
galaxyfe
Tourer

Originally Posted by splattttttt
I'm with you and hattitude also. 2014 Slim w/ over 12k mi. so far and although bike never sits for more than two weeks with that occasional but rare three week period because I'm a ahemm; 1%'r all year long rider (that's what 1% really means b: ), well, my tank level stays where where it should.
Should probably add that after the initial 500mi. break in I quickly switched to Mobil sinth 20/50 to which after 1,000 miles has been AMSoil product in all three holes.
I ride it like I stole it too. Can't help it LOL
Hey...I'm with you! The ONLY reason my bike gets stored is due to salt/chemicals on the road. I do NOT stop riding due to temp or weather. I don't put mine away until after the first salting and I take it out after I stop seeing signs of the salt dust on the vehicles. 2015 I got in April and put 5,000 on it by October, and I travel A LOT for work (meaning I'm gone a lot and still put that many miles on it) My bike has Amsoil in everything that will hold a fluid!! Although, I'm sure Amsoil is not the reason our bikes don't sump, lol...or maybe it is!!!

Last edited by galaxyfe; 03-27-2016 at 12:44 PM.
Old 03-27-2016, 12:05 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by galaxyfe
Hey...I'm with you! The ONLY reason my bike gets stored is due to salt/chemicals on the road. I do NOT stop riding due to temp or weather. I don't put mine away until after the first salting and I take it out after I stop seeing signs of the salt dust on the vehicles. 2015 I got in April and put 5,000 on it by October, and I travel A LOT for work (meaning I'm gone a lot and still put that many miles on it) My bike has Amsoil in everything that will hold a fluid!! Although, I'm sure Amsoil is not the reason our bikes don't dump, lol...or maybe it is!!!
it is

Old 03-27-2016, 08:14 PM
swifty
Road Captain
Received 125 Likes on 58 Posts

Well its been interesting to say the least, And thanks for all the responses. I was not to worried about it losing the oil into the crank. I was just very curious as to why the oil light took so much longer than normal to go out????? If the moment I start the motor the oil pump pull from the crank as well as from the oil tank shouldn't the light go out in the usual 2 seconds.

Quick Reply: oil light and first start up of the year.