Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clean your Ignition Switch - Prevent Stalling While Riding

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017 | 10:05 PM
Joe_G
|
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by roundi
Thanks Joe ! The issue happened many times and each time I turned the **** off then on and the bike just restarted ... This weekend I was in middle of no where and after a short brake the bike wouldn't start, no power what so ever. After 30 min and after many tries, the bike turned on ! Went back home and found your detailed post... here is a picture of my switch
Wow roundi that was the worst I've seen! Glad the post helped you out, that's exactly what I was hoping to do after I got burned twice on this issue.

Mr. Whittaker, how did you find out it was a bank angle sensor? What year is your bike? I don't think my old bike has that.

Old 04-17-2017 | 10:23 PM
MrWhitaker
Novice
Default A lot of Internet searching.

My bike is a 2000 softail standard. I have done a lot of research and have tried many things that are free of charge. Cleaned connections checked wires. I started to notice that when I was driving normal I didn't have a problem. And when I was taking of fast or quick on the throttle it kicked off. When I turned off the bike it reset whatever was wrong. So it pretty much three out fuel or coil. It did not hesitate and just shut off like a breaker and realized that sensor kills the bike when the bike is laid over and doesn't throw an engine code so I figured I'd unhook it and see what happened. When unhooked the bike has never shut down again no matter what i try and before I could shut it down pretty much just by opening the throttle quickly.

Old 04-18-2017 | 02:09 AM
Lonely Drifter on a Harley Breakout's Avatar
Lonely Drifter on a Harley Breakout
Intermediate

I have 2017 Harley Breakout it doesn't have ignition switch

Old 04-18-2017 | 01:19 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Lonely Drifter on a Harley Breakout
I have 2017 Harley Breakout it doesn't have ignition switch
nice feature.

Old 04-18-2017 | 02:45 PM
DieselDoc103
Tourer

About how long are we talking about before this becomes an issue that needs to be addressed? I have a 2014 with 5400 miles. I assume I wont need to worry about this for a while but I also don't wanna get stuck either !

Old 04-18-2017 | 03:54 PM
racerkvn
Tourer

Originally Posted by MrWhitaker
Found out it was my bank angle sensor. Problem is fixed doesn't die anymore.
Glad you got it figured out

Old 06-13-2017 | 10:24 AM
Joe_G
|
Stellar HDF Member

Bumping this up, got some friends from Facebook referring to this, I hope it helps prevent stalling on the highway as happened to me, that's not a good situation.

Old 06-08-2019 | 07:43 AM
tracerprix
Advanced

This has happened to me yesterday several times. On the side of the road I took it apart found the harness half off. Plugged it in. Worked well for 45 miles then went out again. Pulled it apart. Everything looked good. Continued and went out again. Tapped the ignition switch again and didn’t have a problem all the way home. I thought it’s the switch. Read your post and will definitely pull it apart and clean it. Thanks!!

Old 06-08-2019 | 08:23 AM
Joe_G
|
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by tracerprix
This has happened to me yesterday several times. On the side of the road I took it apart found the harness half off. Plugged it in. Worked well for 45 miles then went out again. Pulled it apart. Everything looked good. Continued and went out again. Tapped the ignition switch again and didn’t have a problem all the way home. I thought it’s the switch. Read your post and will definitely pull it apart and clean it. Thanks!!
Glad you made it, let us know what you find when you take it apart.

Old 06-08-2019 | 11:59 AM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master

When it gets to the point of causing trouble, just replace it. At one time mine was acting up and if I'd wiggle it, things would work fine. I replaced it with a new one. I took the old one apart and found that one of the contacts had sunk into the plastic. No fixing that..

Quick Reply: Clean your Ignition Switch - Prevent Stalling While Riding