Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clean your Ignition Switch - Prevent Stalling While Riding

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2016 | 01:30 PM
Kayakeur
Tourer
From: Eastern foothills of Shenandoah Mountains, Virginia

[If you can't fix it with a hammer, then you have an electrical problem.]

Yeh. And if it ain't broke, fix it until it is broke.

To test the switch, is this right?:
With switch out of bike, attach both of these at same time: jumper wire with alligator clips from battery positive to center tab on switch, and probe test light from battery negative to probe end on IGN tab, turn switch on, then same probe test Accessory tab. Correct?
Should either of the test wires have fuse?
Thx.

Last edited by Kayakeur; 08-20-2016 at 01:35 PM. Reason: add question
Old 08-20-2016 | 02:04 PM
Kayakeur
Tourer
From: Eastern foothills of Shenandoah Mountains, Virginia

[If you can't fix it with a hammer, then you have an electrical problem.]

Yeh. And if it ain't broke, fix it til it is.

To test the switch, is this right?: With switch out of bike, attach both these at same time: jumper wire with alligator clips from battery positive to center tab on switch, switch off, and probe test light from battery negative to probe end on IGN tab, then turn switch on. Same with Accessory tab. Correct?

Old 08-20-2016 | 02:59 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Dang, Joe, 6K views? You the man! Have to remember I'm down that way stop in and BS with ya

Old 08-20-2016 | 04:38 PM
gtmalone
Tourer

Originally Posted by Kayakeur
... To test the switch, is this right?:
With switch out of bike, ....
Or use an ohm meter. Readings should be close to zero if the connections are good. In the IGN position all three terminals are connected together. In ACC position only the center and the acc terminal.

If you have removed the switch, go ahead and service it and reinstall.

The most common problem is the connector on the switch. The spade lugs get loose causing intermittent contact and arcing. The connector housing can melt. Mine melted. I cut it away, put heat shrink tubing on the lugs and put them on with out the housing. Make a note inside the console for which wire is on which terminal. If you mix them up the worst case is the power may not come on like you expect. You won't burn anything up.

Old 08-22-2016 | 08:35 AM
Joe_G
|
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tampa Fatboy
Dang, Joe, 6K views? You the man! Have to remember I'm down that way stop in and BS with ya
TFB I've moved back to my hometown of St. Louis... so it'll be a bit longer ride! I hope to get back to FL from time to time however hope we can get together again, that FL Crew ride was great.

I'm glad this thread has 6k views.. if it helps one guy or gal avoid the headaches I had with gunked up ignition switches it'll be worth it!

Old 08-22-2016 | 09:18 AM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Joe_G
TFB I've moved back to my hometown of St. Louis... so it'll be a bit longer ride! I hope to get back to FL from time to time however hope we can get together again, that FL Crew ride was great.

I'm glad this thread has 6k views.. if it helps one guy or gal avoid the headaches I had with gunked up ignition switches it'll be worth it!
St Louie? Dang it, man. I guess that would be a heck of a ride, never know though We did get to meet, that was a good day. You take care of yourself, brother. Cheers

Old 03-11-2017 | 05:08 PM
Joe_G
|
Stellar HDF Member

Popping this up for a buddy who may not have taken my advice and had a cut out riding down the highway, like I did before I figured this out.

Hope I can save someone a big hassle with this thread - its a common problem folks as the bikes get older and it's free and easy to do, no reason not to do it every so often as regular maintenance.

Old 03-11-2017 | 05:15 PM
QC
Club Member
Riders Club Member

I know it helped me and I have passed it along many times, Joe.

Old 03-11-2017 | 05:50 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator

Thanks Joe but I don't think that was my issue today. I had the switch cleaned out a couple years ago. The bike just cut out as I came off the freeway to an exit and as I got to the red signal. It wouldn't restart and then it started and cut back out. Well it's now at the Indy shop so they can look at it next week. A few weeks ago it cut out on the freeway with a cough/splutter and restarted itself and I thought maybe some bad gas. I forgot about that until today.

Old 03-11-2017 | 06:44 PM
Joe_G
|
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by uklauren
Thanks Joe but I don't think that was my issue today. I had the switch cleaned out a couple years ago. The bike just cut out as I came off the freeway to an exit and as I got to the red signal. It wouldn't restart and then it started and cut back out. Well it's now at the Indy shop so they can look at it next week. A few weeks ago it cut out on the freeway with a cough/splutter and restarted itself and I thought maybe some bad gas. I forgot about that until today.
Lauren that is EXACTLY my symptoms both times.

On my friends bike I had borrowed, similar symptoms but it was the ignition wire to the coil had come loose.

I'm sure the shop will find it and glad you were able to get over to the side of the road safe. Please let me know what it turns out to be!

PS missed you guys at bike week, here is my bike week view from my porch. :-(

Name:  C4E13CDC-5FE9-4D19-A0BA-519FFA497005_zpsvqvvrics.jpg
Views: 1733
Size:  314.4 KB

Last edited by Joe_G; 03-11-2017 at 06:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Clean your Ignition Switch - Prevent Stalling While Riding