Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Handlebar for Breakout?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2016, 07:53 AM
2015 Harley Davidson Street Bob Guy's Avatar
2015 Harley Davidson Street Bob Guy
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Best Handlebar for Breakout?

Hey guys as we all know the Breakout Handle bar sucks - so which is the best one to use for a guy that's only 5'11" ???

I dont want to be leaning forward trying to reach my handle bar seating position I would like something a lot more like the Street Bob easy to reach handle bar but i dont want the mini ape.

I would like to stick to drag bar but something that pulls back a few inches.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:23 AM
Prot
Club Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 15,779 Likes on 6,696 Posts

One popular set up is the riser and handlebar from the first generation cvo breakout. I don't know why they didn't use the same riser and handlebar on the regular breakouts, especially since the cvo breakout preceded the regular one, which was kind of unusual.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:39 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

I like the drag bar look but I wish they weren't 3' wide.

IF I had the money...and I don't...I'd get some taller risers, say 6" tall and narrow the bars down 6" on each end.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:14 AM
matte
Stellar HDF Member
Received 824 Likes on 451 Posts

Check out the carlini bag drag bars. They will give you good pullback and if you add the thunderbike short risers (or a CVO clamp/riser setup), then you will have a little bit of a drag lean but not as aggressive. I'm still on the stock risers...so I sit fairly straight up with those bars.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:35 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
I like the drag bar look but I wish they weren't 3' wide.

IF I had the money...and I don't...I'd get some taller risers, say 6" tall and narrow the bars down 6" on each end.
+1 on that- I like the drag bars but they need to be 3" to 6" narrower in width.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:40 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by 2015 Harley Davidson Street Bob Guy
Hey guys as we all know the Breakout Handle bar sucks - so which is the best one to use for a guy that's only 5'11" ???

I dont want to be leaning forward trying to reach my handle bar seating position I would like something a lot more like the Street Bob easy to reach handle bar but i dont want the mini ape.

I would like to stick to drag bar but something that pulls back a few inches.
I'm 5'10" and don't have any reach problems with the stock setup- but if I did I would make up the reach difference by customizing the stock seat. you can add 1"-2" of forward seating adjustment without it being overly noticeable in the seat design. As it is, the seat sucks the most- it's too flat, too high, and you tend to slide off the back punching it if riding without the passenger pillion. just wanted to mention it in case you were thinking about also getting a new seat or customizing the stock seat, which many BO owners end up doing. I'll be doing my seat in the next couple of weeks.

Old 03-16-2016, 09:44 AM
matte
Stellar HDF Member
Received 824 Likes on 451 Posts

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
I'm 5'10" and don't have any reach problems with the stock setup- but if I did I would make up the reach difference by customizing the stock seat. you can add 1"-2" of forward seating adjustment without it being overly noticeable in the seat design. As it is, the seat sucks the most- it's too flat, too high, and you tend to slide off the back punching it if riding without the passenger pillion. just wanted to mention it in case you were thinking about also getting a new seat or customizing the stock seat, which many BO owners end up doing. I'll be doing my seat in the next couple of weeks.
I'm the same ht and "reach" was never my problem and I always liked the feel of a forward lean on the bars. Unfortunately the stock seat is a problem because it doesn't have back support to help out with the angle and caused too much stress on my lower back. You easily slide back on the stock seat (as many have noted sitting ontop of the rear bolts.

Old 03-16-2016, 10:43 AM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by 2015 Harley Davidson Street Bob Guy

Sorry to say that but I don't know . I'm fine with the stock setup...but I'm 6'4....

Old 03-16-2016, 12:58 PM
Nostradamus74
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I like dragbars and find it perfect for BO in terms of style.
That said a couple of inches per side shorter would have been better.
Willing to maintain stock dragbar, the reach problem can be solved working on the risers. Additional spacers are the fastest and cheaper route or having a custom set of risers CNC machined...
I'm having a custom set of risers machined on my specs, about 1" longer, slotted and chromed. Prototype should be ready within a few days...

Old 03-16-2016, 02:48 PM
Da-Rza 21
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

really like the drag bar style but it wasnt working for me...went with trask bar with 4.5 rise and they made me a custom width that was narrower..between the bars and revised seat its perfect for me now..using stock riser set up..

Attached Thumbnails Best Handlebar for Breakout?-hdforumbuild-003.jpg   Best Handlebar for Breakout?-hdforumbuild-005.jpg  

Quick Reply: Best Handlebar for Breakout?