Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need help with steering head clunking

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2016 | 06:15 PM
Iron lHorse
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Ok I did go get a new lock washer and had a friend come over and look at what we are talking about . And he was just as baffled about the space around the fork stem and said it looks like there should be a bushing in that space . And said that on older bikes there is a large flanged bushing then the lock washer and nut.
So we made no adjustments and just put the new washer on and tightened / torqued the stem nut down to 50 lbs which is 5 lbs over spec. I went for a test ride and the bikes front end feel very good again.

When I get some time I'm going to send Harley the pitures and ask them if I can put a bushing in there .

Last edited by Iron lHorse; 03-13-2016 at 06:43 PM.
Old 03-13-2016 | 07:42 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Finally figured out the space you are referring to. What actually centers is the slotted lock ring nut below. It has a washer face turned on it. It fits in the bore on the bottom face of the bracket. That centers bracket and is also what locks the adjuster face. If you remove the nut and lock washer and hold the bars down square, you will not be able to shake the bracket to and fro since the fine threads do not shake. You do need to make sure the bracket is down and centered on it before snugging up the top nut. Now that you are back together, it's a little late to see it but take a small bright light at night and look in from the side. You will see the slots in the lock nut. Not sure but you may be able to see the washer face on the lock nut up in the bracket. It's very shallow. The face were the slots are is about .03 away. I think there is about that much up in that large bore of the bracket.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 03-13-2016 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-13-2016 | 08:21 PM
WFA
Tourer

Originally Posted by iron lhorse
ok i did go get a new lock washer and had a friend come over and look at what we are talking about . And he was just as baffled about the space around the fork stem and said it looks like there should be a bushing in that space . And said that on older bikes there is a large flanged bushing then the lock washer and nut.
So we made no adjustments and just put the new washer on and tightened / torqued the stem nut down to 50 lbs which is 5 lbs over spec. I went for a test ride and the bikes front end feel very good again.

When i get some time i'm going to send harley the pitures and ask them if i can put a bushing in there .

as this subject has been discussed a bunch of times on here i will not elaborate now but offer : Your problem was addressed in service bulletin m-1215b, dated 2008-02-11.

It calls for "1 hardened washer...pn #45727-08". The washer comes in kit #45740-07, that includes only instructions plus washer. The instructions are simple in stating to install new washer to replace original "thin" washer. With specific "direction" to torque steering stem nut to 70-80 ft-lbs. All before measuring fall away.

Worked for me several years ago.

Good luck !!!

The following users liked this post:
Iron lHorse (03-13-2016)
Old 03-13-2016 | 08:57 PM
Iron lHorse
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by WFA
as this subject has been discussed a bunch of times on here i will not elaborate now but offer : Your problem was addressed in service bulletin m-1215b, dated 2008-02-11.

It calls for "1 hardened washer...pn #45727-08". The washer comes in kit #45740-07, that includes only instructions plus washer. The instructions are simple in stating to install new washer to replace original "thin" washer. With specific "direction" to torque steering stem nut to 70-80 ft-lbs. All before measuring fall away.

Worked for me several years ago.

Good luck !!!
Thank for the old info but this is all new to me . I will definitely look into those pn #s becuase the lock washer I got today was a thin piece of crap . $7.50

Old 03-14-2016 | 10:43 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Would have assumed that is what they would give you. What they gave me.. Least what they said. However, I could not tell any difference and as I approached 35 lb torque, it started bending just like original when I tried to reuse it.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 09-14-2018 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03-14-2016 | 03:42 PM
Iron lHorse
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Would have assumed that is what they would give you. What they gave me.. Least what they said. However, I could not tell any difference and as I approached 35 lb torque, it started bending just like original when I tried to reuse it.
I put a very small trace of grease on the bottom of the nut to keep that from happening. And the next time if there is one I will make my own washer. Or go to JP for it.

Old 03-14-2016 | 03:48 PM
Iron lHorse
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
I put a very small trace of grease on the bottom of the nut to keep that from happening. And the next time if there is one I will make my own washer.

Last edited by Iron lHorse; 03-14-2016 at 03:51 PM.
Old 03-14-2016 | 04:53 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

It appears that after a little searching, that harden washer is just that and not a lock washer. Guess it just lets the new 80 ft torque to keep it there. I took a hack saw and cut another tab on mine long while back on the week in. Last time I checked mine, I dropped the head down to drop bearings out and looked at them. The looked fine at 40k or so. That's when I put the supposedly new designed lock washer that looked just like the old one. Doubt I ever check them again. Still clunks a little.

Old 03-14-2016 | 08:39 PM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior

Just throwing this out there do you have solid riser bushings?

Old 03-15-2016 | 06:02 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

The standard Deuce has solid mounted pull back risers. The riser sits in a counter-bore in the top bracket. No bushing, just bolts. Interesting fact that my 1100 Yamaha Custom has rubber bushings and the mirrors are a blur at speed. The Deuce mirrors are not.

Quick Reply: I need help with steering head clunking