Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fatboy Starting Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2016 | 01:06 AM
Freak Show
Seasoned HDF Member

yeah, hell no. i always go by the odometer. force of habbitt from a couple of metric bikes. i just wanted to do away with the big chrome caps ans blacken them out. i got a deal on the digital ones so i took it, also put some blue plug wires on and found another guy to make me a linkage like the other one i had a mishap with. looks exactly like it. i'll post pictures tomorow.. i'm pretty much done with the mods

Old 03-13-2016 | 01:13 AM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate

Originally Posted by Freak Show
yeah, hell no. i always go by the odometer. force of habbitt from a couple of metric bikes. i just wanted to do away with the big chrome caps ans blacken them out. i got a deal on the digital ones so i took it, also put some blue plug wires on and found another guy to make me a linkage like the other one i had a mishap with. looks exactly like it. i'll post pictures tomorow.. i'm pretty much done with the mods

The caps look great! I still want the old school look, for now...

Ha, Ha, Ha, quit lying to yourself! You will never be done with mods! We all say that and then we stand back and order more parts! Next Fall, you will be contemplating your winter mods! Mark my words! You will never be done. My Bob was 7 years old and I was still doing winter mods!

Which reminds me, it was the Bob that I first had the FOB issue on. Sucks when you are out in the middle of no-where and your bike won't start. What pointed me to the FOB was the security light on, no fuel pump priming and the siren going off. Most people get the security system, but not many add the siren.

Last edited by Gommee; 03-13-2016 at 01:23 AM.
Old 03-13-2016 | 01:17 AM
Freak Show
Seasoned HDF Member

if i could find a black oil dip stick or something close, then i'll be done, lol.. yeah it's always something else. just trying to convince myself, but with your help it's not working out very well

Old 03-13-2016 | 01:29 AM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate

Originally Posted by Freak Show
if i could find a black oil dip stick or something close, then i'll be done, lol.. yeah it's always something else. just trying to convince myself, but with your help it's not working out very well
I don't blame myself, I blame the damn Forum, so many nice bikes, so many great ideas, so many great people!

Your addiction will grow, it starts to eat at you, you start squirreling more $ away. Trust me I know, My bike is worth more $ than my F150 and they are the same year...

Old 03-13-2016 | 01:53 AM
welder1027
|
6th Gear

Thanks guys, all have been a big help and on my return home, a new fob battery will be installed. Hope that sorts it and it does sound about right. I hadn't ridden the bike for a few months but i was confused as the bike actually turned over???

Old 03-13-2016 | 03:19 AM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate

Originally Posted by welder1027
Thanks guys, all have been a big help and on my return home, a new fob battery will be installed. Hope that sorts it and it does sound about right. I hadn't ridden the bike for a few months but i was confused as the bike actually turned over???
Please post after you replace the FOB battery.

What you are saying about the bike turning over does not make sense, as the FOB is an Enabler.

Old 03-16-2016 | 04:34 AM
welder1027
|
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Gommee

What you are saying about the bike turning over does not make sense, as the FOB is an Enabler.

Yeah, that confused me as well. It turns over but the fuel pump isn't priming when i turn the ignition on. Checked the fuses and all or ok.

It'll be a couple of weeks before i can check it again as I'm currently overseas but will report back when i get the chance.

Old 04-04-2016 | 05:32 AM
welder1027
|
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Gommee

OK gents, just got back from working overseas, immediately changed the fob battery, re-checked all fuses and relays. Bike still won't start and the fuel pump isn't priming. The bike turns over, just not getting any fuel to the plugs.
I Pulled the dash off and checked all connections and all are fine, no sign of corrosion on any terminals etc.

Any suggestions please?