Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to look for in a used Rocker C and avoid

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 07:10 PM
J101
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What to look for in a used Rocker C and avoid

I'm considering purchasing a used Rocker C, and I'd like to know if there are certain years that tend to be problematic. I've read various post concerning a paint issue, but could never find solid info if this was a certain year model. I have also read post about chrome issues, but again could not identify if these were fluke situations or a known problem.

What are the opinions considering parts in the future for this bike, with a limited production run, and now being out of production for a while? Could there become an issue getting factory replacement parts, for that matter can factory replacement parts still be ordered as of 2016?

Lastly is anyone aware of any statistics on which color option was the rarest.

Thanks

Old 03-08-2016, 07:45 PM
Sarah93003
Club Member
Received 30,073 Likes on 6,791 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

I'd be happy to share my opinion and experience if you can answer a couple of questions.

1. What is your riding experience?

2. Is this your first Harley?

3. Do you have another bike?

4. How do you intend to ride it? As in, cross country treks, bar hopping, etc.

5. Have you ridden the bike you are thinking of?

The answers to the above will steer me in various directions. Others will chime in I'm sure.

The following users liked this post:
johnnyhumble (11-30-2021)
Old 03-08-2016, 08:03 PM
J101
Novice

I've had various bikes before, couple sports bikes and one sportster. Just looking for something to take out a couple hours a week. All my previous bikes have been in that category of fun for a few hours, no so much cross country.

I'm pretty set on the model, now I just need help getting the best one I can find.

Any known year models with issues, any recalls, or key things that could make one more desirable long term such as rare colors.

Old 03-08-2016, 08:43 PM
Sarah93003
Club Member
Received 30,073 Likes on 6,791 Posts

Mine is a 2008 and I've had it 2 years. It is my 14th street bike. I really like Low Riders and VRod Muscles, but when I saw this bike I was smitten. I love everything about it. It's pretty torquey off of the line and that is a blast. The coolness factor is off the hook.

My bike came with about $10,000 in upgrades. That was a big factor for me. In my opinion, getting one that has as many mods as possible, as long as you like what they did, it will save you money in the long run. If you want one that is bone stock, then of course that is a different consideration. These bikes beg to be modded and I've seen hundreds of examples of how unique they can look.

Recently I helped a friend buy a bone stock crimson red 2008 Rocker for $9,000. That is a great deal. Most I see go for $10,000 to $12,500. You will see some at $14-17K as well. I paid $14,000 for mine.

I am 5' 8" tall and ride quite comfortably on mine. The reach is as far as I'd care and actually would like the handlebars a little closer. I ride a lot and so far my longest day has been 360 miles on my Rocker. It was fine and I think I could do a 500 mile day without any issues.

I'm not aware of any particular short comings to the Rocker. Everyone I know that has one have had no serious issues. As for rarest paint, maybe HD can answer that.

Decide if you want stock or modded and what color suits you best and I'm sure you will find one you'll be happy with.

Old 03-08-2016, 09:05 PM
J101
Novice

Since you mentioned previously added accessories, I have located what appear to be two decent candidates an hour away.
1 is a 2009 with 10k miles with the upgraded 103 kit done at purchase by harley. For 13.5

2 is a 2008 with 5500 miles with lots small mods but the stock 96. For 11

Ive wondered what it cost to take the stock 96 to the 103?

Old 03-08-2016, 09:57 PM
Rocker B
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by J101
I'm considering purchasing a used Rocker C, and I'd like to know if there are certain years that tend to be problematic. I've read various post concerning a paint issue, but could never find solid info if this was a certain year model. I have also read post about chrome issues, but again could not identify if these were fluke situations or a known problem.

What are the opinions considering parts in the future for this bike, with a limited production run, and now being out of production for a while? Could there become an issue getting factory replacement parts, for that matter can factory replacement parts still be ordered as of 2016?

Lastly is anyone aware of any statistics on which color option was the rarest.

Thanks
I love my Rocker C, haven't had any issues with it at all (getting ready to start some more mods soon!!) I don't think any year is any more problematic than another, other then color they're basically the same bike. I've found that many parts (except front end) with the Breakout and Rocker are inter-changable, so that shouldn't be a problem. Here's a link to a page with production numbers/colors for 09/10, only 5,448 (couldn't find 08 or 11) I know there were not too many produced in total, so Rocker C's in any color are fairly rare!!
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...ockers-37.html

Originally Posted by J101
Since you mentioned previously added accessories, I have located what appear to be two decent candidates an hour away.
1 is a 2009 with 10k miles with the upgraded 103 kit done at purchase by harley. For 13.5

2 is a 2008 with 5500 miles with lots small mods but the stock 96. For 11

Ive wondered what it cost to take the stock 96 to the 103?
Both sound like ok deals (if they're clean)... That 103 would be nice, makes a big difference in my Breakout!!

Last edited by Rocker B; 03-09-2016 at 02:20 AM.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:01 PM
Rocker B
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

EDIT..double post..

Last edited by Rocker B; 03-08-2016 at 10:05 PM.
Old 03-08-2016, 10:59 PM
stal94gt
Road Master
Received 95 Likes on 88 Posts

The best part about owning a softail is the ability to make it look and ride how you want. There are tons of parts on the market for them. One of the big dollar mods to a softail is a wide tire kit. So far only a breakout, rocker and some cvo models come factory with it. From there fenders are cheap so if it is a wide tire you want then I would recommend the rocker

Old 03-09-2016, 12:48 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

Welcome to the forum- Sarah gave some really good info. I don't think there are issues specific to this bike per say one year vs another year, more like issues with how it was ridden and maintained, and quality of work done to it if it has aftermarket upgrades (103 kit etc).
Upgrades are not cheap- I'd agree with Sarah to find one that already had some good mods done to it along the styling that suits you, and has some clear evidence of ownership care (service receipts, shop records, spare original parts stored, etc). the 103 kit is a nice upgrade if done right. that would be around $3k range plus or minus to do it on your own.

Back in late 2013 when I was shopping for a second bike, I was looking at Rockers and Breakouts as they both appealed to me. Rockers were leading my choice since the Breakout was still new, scarce and rather pricey. I came across a 'screaming deal' Breakout spanky new with 600 miles on it, stage1 already done and PM front wheel already purchased, owner needed cash fast- so how could I say no? I would have been happy with a nice Rocker as well - Very cool bike and infinite ways to style it.

Anyway good luck with the hunt- Lots of good knowledgeable members here to help you with it once you find "the one".

Old 03-09-2016, 12:56 AM
Valdemar
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

The only difference in the rocker c in the years 08/09/10/11, the last bikes of 2011 have other system of wires/ecm. But mechanical and look, all years identically.
If you can buy a rocker with 103, go for 103.

Quick Reply: What to look for in a used Rocker C and avoid