Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

aux. light bulb, walley-world replacement ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 09:48 PM
de fender
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aux. light bulb, walley-world replacement ???

Looking for Aux. light. the bulb has H7649-1 HD# is 68351-05. DUCK, he goes a shot in the dark, anyone know of a "wal-mart" replacement. AutoZone laughed, when i said it was for my HD and said good luck finding it other than the dealer.

Old 09-27-2005, 10:41 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,272 Likes on 476 Posts
Default RE: aux. light bulb, walley-world replacement ???

Sorry I ain't up on the new bikes, but is this a sealed beam lamp, or a plug-in halogen type? If it's a plug-in, look for a lamp that is an H3. H3 is a single filament for things like running lights, while an H4 is a dual filament for headlights.

Old 09-27-2005, 10:44 PM
breaknbad
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck,

Im on my third turn signal bulb cant find them anywhere but the dealer.

harley has a way of trying to keep the money with them.

David

Old 09-27-2005, 11:15 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,272 Likes on 476 Posts

OK guys, time for Economics 101. While it might be difficult to cross the HD lamps, there is an alternative. Check out one of the aftermarket suppliers, whether online or at an indy shop. If the prices are better, buy 'em. Then look for an industry number on the replacement.

Disclaimer: While I often quote J&P part numbers and prices, I do so knowing thay are often higher priced than other sources. But their catalog has tons of goodies, good pics, and is easy to find stuff in. They'll send you a free one for the asking, and you can buy from 'em, or use it as a resource, or both. Other parts joints that often have better prices are Jireh, Direct Parts, Dennis Kirk.

Having said that: J&P has replacement turn signal lamps and tail lamps for late 2003 - '05 bikes. They have lamps to replace the old 1156 & 1157 bulbs, too. Check 'em out and see if the prices are better than the MoCo.

Old 09-27-2005, 11:21 PM
de fender
Intermediate

they are sealed beam lamps. i thought they had me by the bulbs once again.
thanks for the quick responce.[:@][:-][:@]
guess i'll go for a ride, that always seems to make it better. it's not her fault!!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/4222/A69B6067D6AE42118264A9EB1A541E7F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-28-2005, 12:28 AM
cowboy Harry
Road Warrior

Ifn that aux light is those 2 what harley calls passing light s on the front. They are the same size as any tractor light. You can buy them at many auto parts store. Tractor Supply has them for about 8 bucks.

Old 09-28-2005, 01:21 AM
de fender
Intermediate

Tractor Supply, got one just down the street. I'll stop in after work an c what they got. bet I can buy juist one.

I looked at some of the suggested sites. My question is just how many watts is toooo many watts.
Hi-Intensity Halogen Sealed Beams (50 watts x2) plus
High Intensity H4 Upgrade Bulbs 100watts/130watts
to much??

Old 09-28-2005, 08:48 AM
cowboy Harry
Road Warrior

I cant remember the part # but they have 2 diferent ones. some where around 35 watts, I think.Brand is Waggner. 1 is the clear lens and the other is like the old light bulbs used to be. The clear matches the one on my deluxe good. It is not halogen , but is regular fillliment. I installed both to try and my wife said the clear one was better because it did not seem so bright in eyes. Probaly because the old type(the lens has all those long squares in it) scatters the light more).

I see to many of the aux ( I call them aircraft landing lights) that are aimed up to high and are to dang bright. Sure it good to see and be seen but not to the point that you are blinding oncoming traffic.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:20 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow, this is old

Old 04-28-2011, 07:25 PM
MadMaxKilledNightRider
Stage I

Originally Posted by de fender
Looking for Aux. light. the bulb has H7649-1 HD# is 68351-05. DUCK, he goes a shot in the dark, anyone know of a "wal-mart" replacement. AutoZone laughed, when i said it was for my HD and said good luck finding it other than the dealer.
I too had trouble with the H7649-1 halogen part number. Researched it and found a great replacement and thought I'd share. BTW - I found plenty of incandescent replacements. They are not nearly as bright (and they're yellowish). The incandescent bulb's glass front also do not look physically like the clear halogen.

The GE H7649-1 appears to be obsolete. It was a 27 watt sealed beam halogen lamp with a PAR36 base and operated on 12 VDC.

I found a similar 12 VDC 20 watt PAR36 base halogen/xeon gas sealed beam spot lamp that looks nearly identical for $8 or $9. It has a 5 degree spot beam like the GE H7649-1. It is very bright (as bright as the 27 watt).

The only difference is the H7649-1 uses spade terminals and the replacement I found uses screw terminals. Not hard to change. Looks/works great on the bike!

http://www.1000bulbs.com/product/3020/PAR36-112005.html

Quick Reply: aux. light bulb, walley-world replacement ???