Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running her hard

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 07:24 PM
kmallein
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running her hard

Question to everyone

Does anyone run thier bikes hard? Once and awhile I get on her and sometimes I hit the rev limiter in first gear and I always shift right away. Wanted to know if this will cause damage after awhile? I dont do this all the time but every now and then I get on her and run her around 90mph or 100mph for a few seconds on the highway. I dont want to ruin the motor or trash my train but it always feels like she wants more so I have to give it to her. Thanks

Kirk

Old 09-27-2005, 08:31 PM
Wolf
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Running her hard

If anything I own can't be run hard, it goes quick. That said, I've never hit the rev limiter but it has seen 90 a 100 more times than I can count.

Just another free opinion....

ORIGINAL: kmallein

Question to everyone

Does anyone run thier bikes hard? Once and awhile I get on her and sometimes I hit the rev limiter in first gear and I always shift right away. Wanted to know if this will cause damage after awhile? I dont do this all the time but every now and then I get on her and run her around 90mph or 100mph for a few seconds on the highway. I dont want to ruin the motor or trash my train but it always feels like she wants more so I have to give it to her. Thanks

Kirk

Old 09-27-2005, 08:43 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

I run my bike hard alot. I've got a 95 cu in Screamin Eagle that idles at 70. I love to get on it and run it up to 100-120 every now and then just to burn out the carbon. You will do less damage getting on it now and then than you would by sitting in your garage and revving it up like the kids like to do on their crotch rockets.

Terry

Old 09-27-2005, 09:03 PM
1200c
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think going 90-100 mph is hard riding at all. That's how I ride/drive everything that I own if conditions allow. Besides, aren't these bikes geared to go close to 140 mph? (not sure bout that comment). I would be concerned with redlining it unless the redline is set at a conservative rpm (meaning redline set at 6000 when the bike could easily go 6500-7000rpm). Of course, my experience is based on nothing except unfounded opinion so take it lightly.

You will do less damage getting on it now and then than you would by sitting in your garage and revving it up like the kids like to do on their crotch rockets.
Just curious, exactly why is revving up your bike without load bad? (This is something I've always just wondered).

Old 09-27-2005, 09:09 PM
Taildraggerdave
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've hit the rev limiter myself a few times now. Still runs good, though.

Old 09-27-2005, 09:16 PM
kmallein
Advanced

I have been told that when you red line it and it seems to cut off that it actually cuts the fuel so you dont do damage, I just dont know if thats true. I only ever did 120 one time and that was the other night. But I average 70 or 80 in the highway all the time. I never sit and rev it like a kid with a rocket, my big concern is hitting the red line allot. I seem to do it more and more and was wondering if I should stop running it that hard. I also put the Sreaming Eagle spark plugs in and I cant tell if that makes a diff or not or If I wasted my money.

Old 09-27-2005, 09:25 PM
Taildraggerdave
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, when you hit redline, the ECM steps in and either cuts the spark or the fuel. Not sure which but it doesn't really matter. The ECM is trying to protect the engine. As I said earlier, I've bumped the rev limiter a few times, but most of my time is spent running down the freeway at 3000rpm which is 70mph on my bike. That averages between 2600-3400rpm.

I've got a set of the SE plugs but they are bouncing around in my toolkit. Still have the stock plugs in. I bought the others as replacements/spares to have on hand in case of a road emergency. I guess I could put them in and keep the others for a spare...

Old 09-27-2005, 10:05 PM
billvaughn
Tourer

The way I look at it, blowing the carbon out of any engine now and then is good for it......Plus it sounds great!!!!

Old 09-27-2005, 10:40 PM
breaknbad
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to a easy rider rodeo sometime and you will see people around the campsite start there hogs up and hold throttle wide open against rev limiter in neutral.

Never heard one blow, but i would not recommend.

I hit my rev limiter some in second or third gear. Your stock rev limiter will protect your motor from damage.Dont worry.

If you ever change over to the screaming eagle ignition it raises the rev limit higher. That is when you could run into damage.

We spend too much on our bikes to abuse them. I run mine hard but feel that running the bike over 5 grand isnt really needed.

David

Old 09-28-2005, 05:27 AM
B Line
Cruiser

I don't like to call it a "rev limiter"..

I think the term "fun limiter" is more appropiate

Quick Reply: Running her hard