Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cyco tensioner shoes

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016 | 10:08 AM
Kburgad
|
Tourer

For those who are reading and wondering how to replace these. Its very easy, factory manual helps a ton with torque specs and sequence, as far as the tensioner tool, go to sears or harbor freight or whatever has 2 or 3 dollar sockets and get a 21mm 12 point socket, I had a cracked 1/2 inch drive craftsman short laying around, cut a slot in it 4 the tensioner arm with a cut off wheel on a die grinder, had to grind off a tiny bit on the outside to clear the rear chain but it works like a dream. I would not pay 4 the "correct" tool due to the fact you need a socket over it. Just make sure it drops all the way over both arms. Will post a pic of my tool when I get home.

Old 02-23-2016 | 10:20 AM
thor05deluxe
Cruiser

I get the concept of what you're saying kburgad. In to see the pics. About to tear into mine this weekend.

Old 02-23-2016 | 11:10 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by thor05deluxe
I get the concept of what you're saying kburgad. In to see the pics. About to tear into mine this weekend.
Echo that! I would love to see that tool as well. I've seen tools made from bed frames on YouTube but I don't have a spare one of those laying around!

Old 02-23-2016 | 11:13 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Old 02-23-2016 | 11:35 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

^^^ That's the bed frame tool I was speaking about.

Old 02-23-2016 | 06:55 PM
vinnib
Intermediate
Default Red Shift Cam Chain Tensioners

I went with these on my 09 EG:

https://www.zippersperformance.com/red-shift-dual-piston-tensioners.html

And this for the Oil Bypass Valve:

http://www.zippersperformance.com/axtell-oil-bypass-valve.html

Old 02-24-2016 | 08:42 AM
Kburgad
|
Tourer

My homemade tool,

I used a 1/2 in drive socket with an adapter to 3/8 and a 6 inch breaker bar, it would be fine without a breaker bar, a 22mm might work better but def has to be a 12 point, when releasing tension the spring binds in the socket but not til 3/4 released so I just hold it with my finger and take the socket off, way better than the screw driver, no risk of breakage and completely contolled release, no risk of bending the arms, I used a small Allen key to hold them back.

Old 02-24-2016 | 08:59 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Kburgad, thanks for posting your solution! Much appreciated. This is much better for me since I don't have any spare bed frames nor a welder in my garage. I do have the tools to do it this way.

Old 02-24-2016 | 03:44 PM
SprungDave
Road Warrior

Joe,

I think the tool Kburgad made will only open the tensioners away from the cam chain, but is insufficient to remove the tensioners from the cam plate like bed-frame tool. The bed frame tool is pretty cool and would be a real godsend if it were available to the public. It makes swapping tensioners easy and cheap. No need to press out the cams.

Ride safe!

Old 02-24-2016 | 04:45 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Originally Posted by SprungDave
Joe,

I think the tool Kburgad made will only open the tensioners away from the cam chain, but is insufficient to remove the tensioners from the cam plate like bed-frame tool. The bed frame tool is pretty cool and would be a real godsend if it were available to the public. It makes swapping tensioners easy and cheap. No need to press out the cams.

Ride safe!
I never thought I'd say this on the internet but "that ain't no tool; THIS is a tool".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoAI...ature=youtu.be

My best friend made it for me a month ago. When I get home mid/late March from the trip I'm on in FL he will start to make others. I'll warn you though, it's not gonna be a 20 dollar tool. He has some time in it. That said, the first one takes the longest.

I used it to change my shoes on my 02 FXD-X. Works pretty slick.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 04-12-2016 at 07:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Cyco tensioner shoes