Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a loud horn.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 01:59 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,913 Likes on 4,135 Posts

The horn is two Wolo compressors, one for each trumpet, hidden behind a custom cover. The trumpets and trumpet covers are Wolo as well. So, the only thing custom about the horn is the large cover and the bracket to hold the compressors and trumpets. The large cover is chrome plated steel. The entire horn assembly mounts to the chrome plated OEM horn mounting bracket. The horn's bracket which holds the compressors and trumpets is steel and attaches to the horn's cover and mounts to the chrome OEM bracket. I painted that bracket black to make it less obvious.

The volume of the horn comes from the dual compressors firing simultaneously. Since the trumpets are different lengths it produces two tones.

The steel cover is ribbed and looks similar, in style, to the teardrop toolbox. This is why I liked it so much (besides it's volume) since it tied in with the style of the bike. I've attached another picture from a different angle below. I hope this helps.

Wolo compressor

Wolo trumpets

Wolo trumpet covers

Last edited by Bone Doc; 02-09-2019 at 02:03 AM.
Old 02-09-2019, 08:01 AM
Burbur2
Grand HDF Member
Received 871 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by Bone Doc
The horn is two Wolo compressors, one for each trumpet, hidden behind a custom cover. The trumpets and trumpet covers are Wolo as well. So, the only thing custom about the horn is the large cover and the bracket to hold the compressors and trumpets. The large cover is chrome plated steel. The entire horn assembly mounts to the chrome plated OEM horn mounting bracket. The horn's bracket which holds the compressors and trumpets is steel and attaches to the horn's cover and mounts to the chrome OEM bracket. I painted that bracket black to make it less obvious.

The volume of the horn comes from the dual compressors firing simultaneously. Since the trumpets are different lengths it produces two tones.

The steel cover is ribbed and looks similar, in style, to the teardrop toolbox. This is why I liked it so much (besides it's volume) since it tied in with the style of the bike. I've attached another picture from a different angle below. I hope this helps.

Wolo compressor

Wolo trumpets

Wolo trumpet covers

i understand compressor cover is ine that was discontinued right?

Old 02-09-2019, 11:01 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member

Yes.

The person who made the cover sold the entire horn as a unit; the compressors, trumpets, trumpet covers and horn bracket. I haven't seen one in years.

Old 02-09-2019, 01:59 PM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,365 Likes on 988 Posts

Yes.
The person who made the cover sold the entire horn as a unit; the compressors, trumpets, trumpet covers and horn bracket. I haven't seen one in years

Les Brown, MetalArts Inc

As you mentioned, I didn't see anything recent, around 2010 was the last...

T.

Old 02-09-2019, 02:19 PM
Burbur2
Grand HDF Member
Received 871 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by WKNDS
Les Brown, MetalArts Inc

As you mentioned, I didn't see anything recent, around 2010 was the last...

T.
I will really like to buy this thing but I gues ms this wont happen

Old 02-09-2019, 03:07 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by WKNDS
Les Brown, MetalArts Inc .
Yeah, that's him. He's a slug.

Read on. This is all I could find today. I found much more information about him years ago when his business was open. All the reviews were the same... took money and never shipped.

Below is my previous post (number 18) in this thread.

Mine was made by a company called Metal Arts. It was owned by a low life named Les Brown. He would take your money and never ship out his products. It's sad because his horns are very well made. Essentially he makes custom covers and trumpets for Wolo compressors.

After purchasing the horn I waited 2 months before calling my credit card company and getting the funds back. There wasn't any other air horn with dual trumpets I liked. I waited 1.5 years and stumbled upon the website, http://www.kromekandy.com/. They had the horn I purchased directly through Metal Arts. I picked it up immediately and had it in hand in a few days.

This was the horn Amazon.com: Retro MOTORCYCLE AIR HORN, Dual Trumpet: Automotive

My horn is not available anymore and Metal Arts no longer exists.

Old 02-10-2019, 09:18 PM
crtfibl
Grand HDF Member
Received 8,715 Likes on 2,910 Posts

With the drivers in my town, I'm thinking I need something like this ...

Old 02-28-2024, 12:50 PM
erniek70
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Let's do a little comparison at Kamp.

I think you'll find my Stebel to be the loudest. Not the prettiest perhaps. But the cheapest, $50 or so on eBay.

Steibel Air Horn on my Harley Heritage Springer - YouTube
Works great, chrome is crap. I am on my 3rd plastic air horn, and they all have crap chrome. Any other options? Rivco?

Old 02-28-2024, 12:53 PM
erniek70
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are the trumpets, and rain guards, metal, or plastic?

Old 02-29-2024, 06:10 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by erniek70
Works great, chrome is crap. I am on my 3rd plastic air horn, and they all have crap chrome. Any other options? Rivco?
I now have a Howard’s Horn. It’s awesome but I don’t know if they are still in business.