Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My "Part Install" Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2016 | 10:27 AM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Unclesams_Slim
My question is; where did you put the grounding wires? Right now mine are using the same bolts but just on top of the pogo bracket. I don't like the way it looks so I want to find another location.

I have the bracket installed and when I tighten the base where the spring is, it seems to bind the "T bar" up some. For that I can just shim one side with a washer to fix that.....not sure if you ran into that same problem.
I used to have my grounds on top as well when I had the harley top cover.
I have since moved them to a 'bus bar' that has two old school type flat
'woven copper' cables to oil tank-frame mounting tab.

Set the 'angle' so the pin slides in/out easy and lock it with the jamb nut.
Then tighten down the small bots on the sides. (its a bit sketchy IMHO)

Here are some pics of what it used to look like. Its not 'neat' but
the cover hid all the mess. All of this had to change with the flat
frame cover...

Old 08-14-2016 | 01:55 PM
Unclesams_Slim
|
Cruiser

Thanks for the pics. That is where mine are as well, I will have to look for the other grounding points since I'm not a fan of where they are now.

I plan on making a "flat-ish" cover for mine, and secure it by using the mounting bolts for the base of the spring housing.

Old 08-18-2016 | 10:20 PM
Unclesams_Slim
|
Cruiser

Got my seat in today (Ebay special) and installed the pogo mount (jp cycle).

It is more of a change then I thought it would be as far as body placement. I would say about 3" up and 2" forward if I were to guess. I have room to slide the seat farther forward on the bracket and I probably will just to make shifting more comfortable.

I'm 5'10" and I can still put 2 feet flat on the ground.

Since I am not really happy with any of the after market battery covers, I am going to make one out of sheet metal. For the ECU, I plan on tucking that between the rear tire and battery. I will fill the fender opening with sheet metal and then probably make a bag to make it look nicer and to cover the metal.

Old 08-20-2016 | 06:16 PM
Unclesams_Slim
|
Cruiser

I finished up making the battery cover, now i just need to decide if i am going to paint it or cover it with fabric.

I also relocated the ecu to a space between the rear tire and battery. I shaved down the factory ecu bracket and just attached a small padded bag in its place (Perfect for sunglasses). I will probably either look for a bigger bag, make one that will match my solo bag or find an old military wool blanket and put it there.

Old 09-17-2016 | 02:28 PM
Unclesams_Slim
|
Cruiser

Installed a LED headlight and headlight visor.

- The headlight was a direct fit, the harness that was supplied connected to the stock plug. Also I did NOT need any adapter for the headlight as both it and the LED transformer both fit in the headlight bucket perfectly.

Here is the link for the headlight;

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Link for the visor; (I painted mine black)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 09-21-2017 | 10:26 AM
Sporty429
Stage II
Default Quick Question

Do you have more images on how you attached the ammo can? I think this is such an amazing look mod, that I want to try it myself but I have got no absolute clue on how to do it. Huge kudos to your bike it looks amazing!!

Old 10-17-2019 | 08:35 AM
Unclesams_Slim
|
Cruiser

I have added and swapped out a few items since my last posts. The green saddle bag that I made ended up dragging on the ground and getting a hole in the bottom and decided to swap it out until I can repair it. I found this leather messenger bag off of Amazon so I figured I would see if I can make it work. I also swapped out the seat for a leather Corbin seat, finally I got rid of the stock floor boards for ones that look a little more utilitarian.