Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RECALL

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007 | 10:55 AM
djkolp
Road Captain
Default RE: RECALL

And finally, the main reason I bought a T-Max.Just remove the stock ECM, and pop in the ThunderMax.

[IMG]local://upfiles/19578/45F0C866C3E043D48F27CE8FE0AA6269.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-18-2007 | 03:52 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace

ORIGINAL: djkolp
I think we are just about to run this battery caddy B.S. into the ground, ifwe haven'talready.
Agreed, and thanks for the pics. The only obvious difference seems to be that yours has a piece ofred rubber/plastic on the positive battery terminal where mine didn't.
Again Thanks.

BTWHow well has the T-Max w/Autotune worked out so far, and how hard or not was the inital setup programing?

Old 05-18-2007 | 07:53 PM
djkolp
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Citoriplus

ORIGINAL: djkolp
I think we are just about to run this battery caddy B.S. into the ground, ifwe haven'talready.
Agreed, and thanks for the pics. The only obvious difference seems to be that yours has a piece ofred rubber/plastic on the positive battery terminal where mine didn't.
Again Thanks.

BTWHow well has the T-Max w/Autotune worked out so far, and how hard or not was the inital setup programing?

If the positive cable is run at the 30-45 degree angle that the service manual requires, I don't believe that chaffing against the bead of the oil tank is a problem. Like you mentioned in a previous post, the recall addresses the lowest common denominator. The T-Max has been on my bike from day one. Setup is very easy, but reading the manual twice really helps. Having a decent working knowledge of computers is amust.Zippers updates the maps occasionally, as feed back from customers comes in, but their base maps are very good. The latest update has my bike running superb.

Ride safe!

DJK

Old 05-19-2007 | 09:20 PM
Heritage07
Road Warrior

Had mine done today. I agree doesn't look like much but I guess it will do the job and I will have my piece of mind.

Old 05-19-2007 | 09:38 PM
rbabos
Banned

Citori: It would appear that I won't be getting the recall as my install came just like yours from the factory. It is a March build but wasn't sure of the date. Every time I look at that pile of spegetti I have to shake my head. No way to short out now, at least from that source. I see that the original rubber boot for the cable is missing. Mine was on originally but it was a mangled piece of crap just stuffed in there with no way of working with the horrizontal cable. First time I had the seat off after reading about the burnups I ripped it off and threw it over the fence. It just made me puke to look at it.
Ron

Old 05-20-2007 | 12:48 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace

Ron,
Well at least you won't have to worry anythings going to happen while you wait for them to get in parts for your"fix".
Your right it is a bit much.I think that if I had known exactly whatthey were going to do I might have been tempted to leave thefix I had in there and not bothered with thedealerat all.
Oh well live and learn. At least now if anything does happen we can point at the dealer and saythey screwed it up.
Frank

Old 05-20-2007 | 01:12 AM
philgrocks
Cruiser

My FXSTC got the recall today. The only difference I can see is the plastic component at the front of the battery for the cables. This new part routes the cables in a channel of the plastic to protect from the oil tank and the battery. Pervious to the install it had some wire loom protecting the main cable.

Phil

Old 05-20-2007 | 02:19 PM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior

FYI: The plastic "horseshoe" as seen in the photos has nothing to do with the recall or the fix at least not on Softail models. As on my Fat Boy which has not yet gone back for the recall, that plastic channel was always there as came from the factory with it. As I posted in another thread, I took care of my own positive battery cable by surrounding it with a cut-to-fit piece of high pressure/high temp transmission hose. FWIW, my inspection of the battery compartment found two things. One, the weld bead on my oil tank was as smooth as silk, i.e., not abrasive at all and two, there were absolutely no signs of abrasion on the battery cable. However, since I already had the battery out, I went ahead and covered the positive cable as previously described.

Old 05-20-2007 | 06:20 PM
rbabos
Banned

Citori: Took another look at mine and there are some differences on the factory install. I have a metal clamp that positions the two bundles running on the frame rails. Plastic channels with wires in them are ty rapped to the inner parts of the rails The only thing that looks like it don't have a home is the main fuse , which justs lays on top of the battery.
It would seem that the quality of work will depend a lot on the skill level of the person doing it. At least from the appearance standpoint. I don't think there is enough room between the seat pan and battery for my future PowerCommander. Short of making a much longer harness for it and mounting it somewhere else on the bike, I'm not sure what else I could do. What ideas do you have on that?
Ron

Old 05-20-2007 | 07:22 PM
copterdoctor64
Intermediate

I installed my PowerCommander on my bike after having the recall done and I didn't have any troubles. I installed it in the spot above the alarm, behind the mud-flap as per the DynoJet instructions and didn't have any troubles fitting the wiring bundle under the ECM.

Quick Reply: RECALL