Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RECALL

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007 | 01:15 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Default RE: RECALL

Got mine done today, and it's now a fact, sombody upstairs hates me.

When I brought the bike in for the map update about three months ago it was winter and chilly, but nice and sunny out. But on the way home it started to rain with ice mixed in. Lots of fun trying to ride down a highway with only a half helmet and getting smacked in the face with ice crystals at 70 mph. That stuff can hurt.

So today I bring the bike in for the battery recall and its nicesunny, and warm. They do the job in about 45 minutes and I'm back on the road home, and don't you know it.Again I'm zipping along down the highway at 70 mph and it starts raining again. Not just any little drizzle, but the 40 days and 40 nightsHUGE drops deluge kind of rain.

Now my bike looks like it took a bath in one of those mineral bath mud pits. Its going to take at least 3 hours of work to find out if I really do have a black and chrome bike under all thetan colored mud.

Old 05-16-2007 | 06:36 AM
deadeye
Road Warrior

Anybody already post before and after pics of the recall mod?

Old 05-16-2007 | 11:42 AM
djkolp
Road Captain

Sorry to hear about your wet ride home, but inquiring minds really want to know what the caddy looks like. Is the battery caddy a complete plastic box that the battery sits in, or is it just a plastic shield that slides into the front of the battery, protecting the cables?

DJK

Old 05-16-2007 | 12:19 PM
flyboy9994
Tourer

ORIGINAL: djkolp

Sorry to hear about your wet ride home, but inquiring minds really want to know what the caddy looks like. Is the battery caddy a complete plastic box that the battery sits in, or is it just a plastic shield that slides into the front of the battery, protecting the cables?

DJK
How about it Citori?? Your pretty good with the tech stuff. Give us the details. Pics would be great.

Old 05-16-2007 | 02:04 PM
frisco42
|
Cruiser

My appointment is not for a couple of weeks so last night I pulled the battery to check it out.
There is nothing even remotely close to rubbing on anything, but since it's a factory recall I'll take the bike in to clear the paperwork.

Old 05-16-2007 | 06:01 PM
blkfxstc
Advanced

Had mine done when the 1000 mile services was done but have not had the time to see what they actually did. I will try to post some pics of installed battery box post recall.

Old 05-16-2007 | 06:45 PM
vertigo14
Outstanding HDF Member

I brought mine in for the recall and they put this big plastic thing in to protect it from the frame..

whatever

Old 05-16-2007 | 06:45 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus

ORIGINAL: flyboy9994

ORIGINAL: djkolp

DJK
How about it Citori?? Your pretty good with the tech stuff. Give us the details. Pics would be great.
Thanks for the vote of confidence. As for the pics I planned on doing them last night. But life (read wife) had other ideas about what I was going to be doing.
So I promise I herebyswear to pull the seat off and post pics of whatever I find under it before tomorrow morning. I sometimes like to do stuff like that after 'she' has gone to bed around 10. Me, I'm something of a night owl and normally don't go to bed before 2AM.

Old 05-17-2007 | 12:48 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus

Ok gentelman, and I use that term loooosley. Here's the pics of the "new" battery box, tray, protector, or whatever it is.

Without removing the battery I can't tell if it's a whole assembly, but it does appear that the battery is mounted higher than before. Its a lot easier to get at the terminals than when I put the tender wires in that's for certain and there seems to be more room. Like the wires werepulled and zip tied back up under the frame tubes. There is also a new piece of heavy duty plastic zip tied in a horseshoe around the frame tubes along the front and sides of the battery.

In this pic I put an arrow to the plastic along the left side of the battery. Sorry the arrow came out a little smaller than I intended, but you get the idea.

In this pic I marked the plastic piece on the rigth side.

This is the front of the battery looking down from the front. You can see what I mean about there being more room. If I had to guess, and I do, it looks like the battery is about 1/2" to 3/4" higher and the wires have been pulled or rerouted farther forward and away from the battery.

I also put an arrow in this one to show where the new plastic piece goes across the front of the battery. I moved the main fuse (think that's what it is) up and out of the way for the pic. Normally its tucked up under where the frame tubes come together in front of the battery.

Overall it looks a little like micky mouse engineering. But I know how hard it is to engineer good looking'fixes'like this to machinery that's already assembled and operating. I expect that production bikes made from now on will have something with a little more 'finished' look done to them. But on balance it should do the job quite well as the tank edge is now well below the terminal and wires and its unlikely to get any closer to it mountedthis way.

My only regret it that I didn't get a chance to take any pics of it before it was done. Or have the chance to take pics of it while they were doing it.

Old 05-17-2007 | 07:30 AM
tmac
Advanced

You're the man. Thank you,

tmac

Quick Reply: RECALL