Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for all you Fat Boy owners

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 12:06 PM
Coaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Question for all you Fat Boy owners

I was wondering if any of you have done away with the stock floorboards and gone with forward controls? If you have, what are your thoughts about the results?

I'm leaning toward forwards on my springer classic and since this bike is new for 2005 it's hard to find anyone with the same bike and some mods. But the Fat Boy is pretty much the same setup so any opinions/experiences would be welcome.

Thanks!

Old 09-27-2005, 01:26 PM
CR3999
Road Captain
Received 119 Likes on 80 Posts
Default RE: Question for all you Fat Boy owners

I love the floorboards and will leave them. I think they give you more freedom of movement.

Old 09-27-2005, 01:43 PM
Bannana Boat
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

Not sure if that means you are dumping the floor boards and going to pegs, but... I just went from pegs to floorboards and will not go back to pegs again!

Old 09-27-2005, 01:45 PM
Fatbernie
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before I bought the Fat Boy I thought I would hate the floorboards. But now I love them. It's easier to find ways to relax the legs and feet with more room to move around. This doesn't help your questions, but it's my 2 cents worth anyway. Sorry.
BA

Old 09-27-2005, 02:15 PM
Coaster
Ultimate HDF Member

For me it's a height issue. At 6' I'm not overly tall but with a 34" inseam I just need to stretch out more to be comfortable for longer rides. I have to agree that floorboards offer a lot of benefits. I added mini floorboards to my forwards on my last bike and just kept thinking it was the best mod I'd ever done. Of course I think that after every mod Although this is my 3rd ride it's my first Harley and I have to say there are a ton of aftermarket parts and I'm just beginning to scratch the surface. With so many choices I'm trying to find the right one for me.

I'm still interested to hear from anyone who has gone to forwards. Maybe with some pics?

BB, nice softail by the way. Got any pics with the floorboards installed?

Old 09-27-2005, 06:53 PM
FatboyRules
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Floorboards all the way baby!!!

I've been riding bikes all my life and when I got my Fatboy back in '98, I decided never go back to pegs.

Old 09-29-2005, 01:48 PM
Coaster
Ultimate HDF Member

Well, I ordered forwards with a 3" extension kit. I'm pretty excited about getting them on there. I'm thinking about adding heel rests if I end up missing the floorboards. We'll see. Now I'm hoping I'll have my parts by tomorrow so I can install over the weekend.

Old 09-29-2005, 03:17 PM
Bigbender
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Floorboards are comfortable but every time I scrape them in a sweeping turn to the left, the thought of my kickstand being down makes my heart come up into my throat. I used to scrape my header on my old bikes but you had to be at high speed on a sharp turn to do that. It doesn't take much of a turn at all to scrape on my Fatboy and that's what I don't like about this bike. Heck, just last night, I was only going about 35 mph on a center crowned road and it scraped the left side board again. Before too long, I won't have much of the chrome frame left. One thing's for sure though, when I lower the back end, this problem will get worse and at that time, I'll seriously consider changing to a narrower board or making the switch to forward controls.

Old 09-29-2005, 05:06 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Coaster

For me it's a height issue. At 6' I'm not overly tall but with a 34" inseam I just need to stretch out more to be comfortable for longer rides. I have to agree that floorboards offer a lot of benefits. I added mini floorboards to my forwards on my last bike and just kept thinking it was the best mod I'd ever done. Of course I think that after every mod Although this is my 3rd ride it's my first Harley and I have to say there are a ton of aftermarket parts and I'm just beginning to scratch the surface. With so many choices I'm trying to find the right one for me.

I'm still interested to hear from anyone who has gone to forwards. Maybe with some pics?

BB, nice softail by the way. Got any pics with the floorboards installed?
Coaster, I get the impression it's not just about having pegs, but for long legged comfort. I found what I think is THE solution without having to go to extended pegs. I'm 6' with right about the same inseam...

Look into the Kuryakyn Cruise Arm Mark III's. They basically are mounts for any kind of peg, kyr' or Harley or other that mounts on your actual floorboards.. They keep the appearance clean but give you a highway peg that doesn't put you all spread eagle like engine guard pegs. Your foot stays low also, so you don't feel like you have your knees under your grips. I wrestled with the expense of going to forwards, but did this instead and I absolutely love them. Though there's a little modification to the floorboards (drilling a few holes), they look completely stock because the holes are covered up, except for the nice chrome highway peg mounts coming out from the front.

But the biggest thing is they are COMFY! big time.

http://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp?bn=harley&ci=3243

I really need to get some pictures up of these, but there's a "view on bike" link on this site.

Old 09-30-2005, 12:55 AM
Tx_Outlaw
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Babs

Coaster, I get the impression it's not just about having pegs, but for long legged comfort. I found what I think is THE solution without having to go to extended pegs. I'm 6' with right about the same inseam...

Look into the Kuryakyn Cruise Arm Mark III's. They basically are mounts for any kind of peg, kyr' or Harley or other that mounts on your actual floorboards.. They keep the appearance clean but give you a highway peg that doesn't put you all spread eagle like engine guard pegs. Your foot stays low also, so you don't feel like you have your knees under your grips. I wrestled with the expense of going to forwards, but did this instead and I absolutely love them. Though there's a little modification to the floorboards (drilling a few holes), they look completely stock because the holes are covered up, except for the nice chrome highway peg mounts coming out from the front.

But the biggest thing is they are COMFY! big time.

http://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp?bn=harley&ci=3243

I really need to get some pictures up of these, but there's a "view on bike" link on this site.
I installed the Mark III's on my Heritage and found the problem with them this past weekend...... stretched out (I'm 6'1" with 36" inseam wearing flat shooes, 38" with boots) cruising thru the country roads (approx 45-50 mph) with my wife on the back, came around a blind corner, and DEER everywhere! I was able to get everything under control and avoid the deer but made me think real hard about forward controls.
My wife has decided to take over my bike and let me buy a new one since there were still a lot of mods I wanted to do to it (she likes it the way it is but would have to lower the front and change te seat). I'm looking to purchase something along the lines of an '06 Night Train now.

Chuck

Quick Reply: Question for all you Fat Boy owners