Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quiet baffle install

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 03:57 AM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Quiet baffle install

Ok, got my V & H quiet baffles for my Big Shots Long...... Can someone tell me the correct way to install? Thanks in advance.

Old 05-12-2007, 05:48 AM
T_Rob666
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Quiet baffle install

There should be a bolt or screw on the outside of the pipes...take it out, get some needlenose pliers, pull out the old ones and put in the new ones.

T

Old 05-12-2007, 06:39 AM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member

I proceeded to take the screws holding the end caps off, but noticed a screw inside that looks to be holding the existing baffle in. Nowit looks to me like I need to take my heat shields off to get to those.............

Old 05-12-2007, 08:38 AM
UltraBrian
Road Warrior

The screws that hold the baffles in is on the outside of the pipe between the pipes and the frame of your bike. Reach around the heat shields to get to it. It should be an allen head screw.....like the screw you took off for your end caps. Make sure you tape up the fiberglass nice and tight around the baffles. If not, it will bunch up while you are trying to slide it into the pipes. Use the same screws to secure them into place.

Old 05-12-2007, 10:27 AM
moggsy
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As stated above you have to take the tips off first,just 2 allen screws.The baffle screws which are also 2 allen screws sit between the pipe and the heat shield.
You have to remove the heat shields to get to the screws which is a pain.Obviously you have to undo 4 clamps on each pipe to remove heat shields.
Then get some pliers or something similar (i used a bar with a lip on it) to get the baffles out.I had to spray a bit of wd40 because it was pretty tight.
Then put the quiet baffle in and do the reverse.
And the answer is yes,if v&h just put a hole so you could access the baffle screws.....

Old 05-12-2007, 10:35 PM
UltraBrian
Road Warrior

You have to remove the heat shields to get to the allen screws on the Big Shots Long pipes? I have the Big Shots Staggered and I did not have to remove the heat shields to get to the 2 screws. On the other hand, I did remove my heat shields in order to mount my Thunder Monsters 6 inches inside the pipe....had to drill a 1/4 inch hole for the screws to secure the baffles. Sounds KILLER now!!!

Old 05-13-2007, 05:34 AM
T_Rob666
Banned

ORIGINAL: JonnyD

Ok, got my V & H quiet baffles for my Big Shots Long...... Can someone tell me the correct way to install? Thanks in advance.
Jonny,
Let me know how those Quiet Baffles turn out for ya...

Tim

Old 05-13-2007, 05:40 AM
Josey Wales
Cruiser

To me Quiet = Earplugs!

Sorry Had to do it!!!

Old 05-13-2007, 05:53 AM
T_Rob666
Banned

Yeah, same for me normally. But, over hear in Germany, if it's TOO loud...the German police tend to mess with ya a bit.

Old 05-13-2007, 09:42 AM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member

Somewhere on here I read to wrap em in plastic and spray em down with cooking spray before you install em, it keeps the plastic from sticking to the inside of the pipe and helps the install. Did it, and they slid right in and had a nice buttery smell after heat up.............. I do like the new sound, not much different but definitely a little deeper tone which I did want. Having to take off the heat shields was a pain, that was an engineering snafoo!!!! Anyone from V & H reading this??? Gotta love that FuelPak! Thanks for all the help guys/gals......

Quick Reply: Quiet baffle install