Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chrome Front for Fat Boy

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 09:34 PM
Ed45
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chrome Front for Fat Boy

I am considering chrome sliders, covers and tins and wonder about a chroming firm that will swap out; that is, sell me the chromed parts and allow me to send them my take offs for credit. I have been saving original parts but at the rate its going I just will need a frame and motor and I can build another bike! Economically, swithing them out makes sense. May I have your advice please? Thank you, Ed

Old 09-26-2005, 10:06 PM
billvaughn
Tourer
Default RE: Chrome Front for Fat Boy

I've got the same problem with Deluxe parts....I've seen a lot of stock parts on ebay going for peanuts. I may just end up hanging them up on my shop wall for decor!!!! Good luck and let us know if you come up with a solution.......

Old 09-27-2005, 07:20 PM
FatboyRules
Cruiser

Do a search on eBay for this seller "rick9662".
The following is what he wrote to me when I asked him a question:

"these are Gunuine harley fork sliders, No covers here. There is alot of 99 and down parts that are hard to get , they do not come around that easy. I have plenty of 2000-up parts. If you want to save some money , You could strip all the parts that you want chrome and ship them to me And I will chrome them for a lot less. .The more parts the more marier.If you decide to do that just let me know?

Rick"

I've never dealt with him but you could ask him whatever you want and proceed at your own risk.

I, however got my chrome wheels 2 weeks ago from these guys "http://www.chromeprosplating.com/"
and they're great, no problems whatsoever. You might want to ask them if they chrome your parts.

Good luck.

Old 09-29-2005, 04:00 AM
raaaaaa
Road Master

I'm sorry is just me but I don't see the math. I don't think in the long run it is worth getting parts plated and run the risk of peeling and having to pay for new harley parts plus labor.

Old 09-29-2005, 12:17 PM
FatboyRules
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: raaaaaa

I'm sorry is just me but I don't see the math. I don't think in the long run it is worth getting parts plated and run the risk of peeling and having to pay for new harley parts plus labor.
It's all about Priorities raaaaaa,.... But I understand what you're saying

Old 09-30-2005, 01:53 AM
Ed45
Cruiser

raaaaaa makes a good point. I did contact Rick and have some levers coming from him which I need and also as a sample of his work. The prices are not all that much cheaper and I was told by a friend that sometimes chrome processes produce slightly different color results. I am saving my money for factory parts, at least that is my tentative plan. Thanks everyone. Ed

Old 10-09-2005, 02:46 PM
Fatboy_Bob
Cruiser

My two cents…

I would buy the part(s) already chromed and keep your old stuff (because I am a pack rat). That way you can inspect the part first hand.

I also understand that not all parts/items for your specific bike or application are offered in chrome. i.e. Chrome shops, if you ask around at your local bike dealers or custom shops you might be surprised at how many chrome shops are in your local area or near you. That way you can go visit and see the process, and also save a bunch on shipping of big items.

Another source for miscellaneous chrome/stainless nuts & bolts could be your local hardware store. Example: When I have extra money the old change jar, I’ll run down to my local hardware store on Saturday and buy chrome/stainless goodies. Like the stock exhaust mount holes left vacant after I installed my new pipes and some acorn nuts for the bottom of my mirrors etc.

I do recommend stainless for exhaust hardware, it can be polished up pretty good with a Dremel tool.

When I put my AN bars on they recommended that I order the AN riser bolts also…That was another $20. Hardware store had them in stainless for $2.50, sweet.

Down here in Florida everything will eventually rust. Ack!

[IMG]local://upfiles/4543/28F02839DE8F4E79BA16D17EC9BA7265.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4543/62D794F057344F90995EE0E24357D0F9.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4543/B2D88EE6882F4A51AC659E83F9A358D5.jpg[/IMG]