Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stalling on clutch pull... WTH?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 01:51 AM
dm.logan
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Stalling on clutch pull... WTH?

Hello again guys!!!

So this one is regarding my 2001 FLSTF... No "I". I'm over here in Japan... Still and the weather has recently gotten cold. Go outside 5 am. Pull choke pump throttle a couple time she fires right up (higher RPM) but that's to be expected. Now I live on a housing base with all kinds of cranky people so I'm a bad owner and kind of idle walk my bike away from people and let it warm up on the go. Less than 3000 rpm. Once with bike warms up off I go. I have a nice long straight away so finish warming up but when I get to the end of my personal drag strip and pull the clutch in the RPM's take a dive and the bike stalls. (Btw choke I already pushed in by this point). The bike then takes a few times to start again and with out the choke out will do this everything for about 30 min. By the time I get to main base choke is in and RPM are completely stable no matter what I'm doing. I use off base gas and it's good stuff. I'm using 20w50 for oil which I recently changed. My thoughts go to ignition system. Plugs were in a sad state of affair, front plug has a nice tan I'm burning good look to is. Rear is ohh look at me I'm fluffy and black and have too much fuel. I changed them out for some NGK iridium xi thinking that hotter spark means better burning of fuel... Maybe? Checked wires there decent but meh maybe I should replace them? It seems to be a little bit better but not 100% sure. Can y'all think of anything I'm missing? Any suggestions? Stop me before I end up replacing the entire damn ignition system!!!! Btw it ONLY does this in the morning when the temps are around 35-38 degrees. Won't do it in the afternoon:/ maybe my bikes like and and just not a morning person.... Thanks!

Old 02-15-2016, 11:12 AM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 537 Likes on 461 Posts

A lot of bikes are setup very lean to meet EPA emissions standards. It also can take a mile or so before the bike is truly warmed up. Try pushing the choke in about half way as you ride and see if the bike will idle when you get to the main base. Another possibility is that you might have an intake leak that will cause the bike to run lean. If you're having a hard time restarting the bike after it stalls, try pulling the choke out.

Old 02-15-2016, 11:19 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

odd issue indeed. how old is your coil and how are the wire connections? I've seen coils do weird things when extremely cold or extremely hot, but act normal otherwise. same with the coil wire terminal connections- e.g. some corrosion or a slightly loose connection. I had a 2001 evo that would start, but cut out and die cold - it ran fine once warmed up- traced it back to a broken wire at one the coil terminal connections.

it could be variety of things but this is just off top of my head if it helps. anyway good luck- tracing down intermittent issues like this can be a real PITA.

Old 02-15-2016, 05:46 PM
CagelessRoy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

9 months ago I had a similar problem, but dying on idle was more random. It finally stayed in fail mode one afternoon all the way to the dealer, so they saw the failure, then after restart it was fine. They traced it to the ignition switch, which took 10 days to get a replacement. 2013 FLSTC

Old 02-15-2016, 05:56 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,803 Likes on 9,866 Posts

Is the VOES operating properly?

Last edited by QC; 02-15-2016 at 06:05 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:00 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 82 Posts

Sounds to me like you are taking the enrichener (choke) off too soon. Leave it on longer when it's cold out.

Old 02-16-2016, 03:09 PM
dm.logan
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

tba is for all the input. Everything seems to be in order lots of nice fuel smell.... Don't know about the coil just got the bike a while ago. I'll check switch. Far as leaving the choke out longer, I mean the choke is out for a good 20-30 min last time I was messing with it. I tested it out today. New plug definetly helped it was 25 out. But still shaky. Gonna check coil and change out wires... Sounding like I need to give the fuel system a good once over too

Old 02-16-2016, 03:26 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 82 Posts

Yes sounds like a carb that could use a good cleaning. If you leave it sit with e10 in it for a long time, it'll evaporate into chalky stuff that you will need to disassemble and clean out. You might get away with a fuel system treatment but I wouldn't hold my breath.