Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deluxe rear fender question

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 08:04 AM
BustedKnuckles9
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deluxe rear fender question

Guys,

Hoping someone can help me out with a question I have. Im planning on putting a stretched rear fender on the bike this winter(13 Deluxe). Im planning to buy one of Klockwerks 4" stretch fenders with stock light mounting holes. From anything I am reading it looks like the mounting holes are for a FLSTC tail light. So here's my question...

Can someone tell me if the light mounting cutout on an oem FLSTC and oem FLSTN fender are the same for light mounting. I can only assume they are very different, being the FLSTC light looks wider. I really want to stay with the tombstone light, not considering going with the Heritage light. Cutting a blank fender out isn't really that big a deal for me if that's what I gotta do, just wondering if any of you could confirm if you have fenders laying around or have some knowledge of both layouts.

sorry for being a windy bitch boys, just hopin for some info..lol

thanks in advance guys!

Old 02-14-2016, 09:21 AM
yzergod
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Not the same... sorry

Old 02-14-2016, 09:27 AM
BustedKnuckles9
Novice

I figured this was the case, but figured I would ask. Looks like Im buying the blank fender and doing some cutting.

thanks yzergod

Old 02-14-2016, 09:34 AM
yzergod
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Shouldn't be difficult. What are you going to do with the license plate? I put it below, but with an extended fender, a side mount looks good too.

Last edited by yzergod; 02-14-2016 at 09:37 AM.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:55 AM
BustedKnuckles9
Novice

was either going to mount below like yours or go with the frenched fender that the license plate can sit in. I do like the side mount look, not sure on which direction yet. If I use side mount I will fab it myself.

Old 02-14-2016, 10:23 AM
gregeinsc
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

If I were you I would rethink the KW fender. I went that route and the finished product was as heavy as a boat anchor. The sides of the fender show a lot of tire. Just really came out horribly. You may fare better.

Old 02-14-2016, 02:11 PM
BustedKnuckles9
Novice

is your ride stock height? I noticed looking thru 100's of pics that the stock height rides do show a lot of tire, but with the 2" drop in the rear the fender really complimented the bike.

How heavy is the KW fender? I cant imagine with an extra 4" that it would give it that much excess weight, but Im not sure what gage steel the stock fender is either.

Do you have any pics of your bike with the KW fender on it?

Old 02-14-2016, 06:50 PM
gregeinsc
Road Captain

No. My bike is lowered 2" in the rear. I am telling you. The KW fender is stamped out of heavier gauge steel than stock. I spent a fortune for a local "custom" shop to stretch the KW fender because they assured me that they could make it look any way I wanted it to. In a word; Bull$h!t. When they were done it was absolutely hideous. This is the only pic I have. This was AFTER I had them skirt the sides of the fender because it showed way too much tire. When they gave this thing back to me for paint it literally weighed in the neighborhood of 25lbs. No ****. I had to eat this and start from scratch with a stock Deluxe fender.

Last edited by gregeinsc; 02-15-2016 at 06:53 AM.
Old 02-15-2016, 03:03 PM
BustedKnuckles9
Novice

hey greg, thanks for the insight on your experience man, I actually saw your bike flippin thru pics a few times looking at the KW fenders. I think its actually changed my decision. Im going to stay with stock rear tin, drop her down 2" and leave it alone for the time being. If I come across a cheap fender at some point I will probably cut and extend the stock fender.

how's the ride quality with the 2" drop?

Old 02-15-2016, 09:39 PM
gregeinsc
Road Captain

Ride is good for me but I am not your average whiskey barrel build and don't do 2 up. Here is a pic of a Deluxe fender stretch I had done after the KW fiasco. It still wasn't what i was looking for, but was way better than the KW stretch. I am actually having it reworked at present by one of the best custom shops in the southeast. As you can tell, I am still chasing that stetched fender look. This was close, but no cigar. Hoping 3rd time is a charm. If sharing my pics with you has caused you to rethink your direction than my loss is your gain for sure.

Last edited by gregeinsc; 02-15-2016 at 09:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Deluxe rear fender question