Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new ezpass installation

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007 | 04:52 PM
raaaaaa
|
Road Master
Default new ezpass installation

ordered a couple of ezpasses the other day for a 01 fatboy & a 04 sportster. I got the ones that are waterproof and black, that are usually installed on the front license plate of cars.
I don't like the look of an off whiteslice of cheese sitting on my handlebars. I have seen them painted black, but it is so big ruins the clean look of a Harley.

here is the one on my girlfriends sportster really the only way to mount it to avoid blocking the engine airway.

here is the one on my fatboy. looks a little better nice and low. out of the way.
[/align]

Old 05-10-2007 | 05:05 PM
Crusher
Road Master
Default RE: new ezpass installation

I assume there was no problem with them being read at the tolls?

Old 05-10-2007 | 06:55 PM
raaaaaa
|
Road Master

I have'nt gone for a ride yet, but my niebor has one on his honda civic which is droped 1 infrom the ground and has no problems, and another friend has his straped to the back of hisbike 32inches from the ground next to his tail light with no problems.....
will report soon.
my only concern is when you go runs and the tolls are picked up by the organizers who run it, how am I gona cover it so it does not read....

Old 05-10-2007 | 07:50 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member

And that thing that looks like the "View Master" is for...

Old 05-10-2007 | 11:20 PM
raaaaaa
|
Road Master

what do you mean?

Old 05-10-2007 | 11:57 PM
richmac64
Tourer

That's pretty handy and it looks good to me. Pretty handy that they have those in black for you to put on the bikes.If the small squares on the ez-pass is where it sends and receives the signal you could probably tape over those when you don't want it to be read. I guess you could always test it out beforehand to see for sure.

Old 05-11-2007 | 12:22 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace

ORIGINAL: raaaaaa
here is the one on my fatboy. looks a little better nice and low. out of the way.
That looks like the one that's used for cars that have those special metalized deicing windshields. Its actually ment to be mounted on the top edge of the front plate.
The one I have for my bike looks like the satandard white widshield stick on. But it has a big blue 'M' on it for 'motorcycle' and you get charged a lower toll rate for it.
I just keep it in the leather tool bag un the risers and it picks up fine there.

If you don't want it to be picked up by the sensors you need to put it in a shielded static bag. The kind they use for packing electronic components in. If you need one just go to the local E-ZPass office and ask for one, they are supposed to give you one when you get it and they generally have them there for the asking if you loose or missplace it.
For a setup loke yours raaaaa. I would keep a set of spare zip ties along with the bag and cut it off and stick it in the bag when you don't want it and use the spare zip ties to put it back on later. I don't think you would be able to use the bag toshield it where it is. The heat from the regulator would probably cook the plastic off and make a mess.

Old 05-11-2007 | 12:37 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace

I just went out and took a couple of pics of mine to show what I was talking about.

Here's the bag on the risers that I have it in. I used the windshield stick-on velcro to stick it to the inside front edgeand I keep the bag folded up in there behind it in case I need to shield it for runs.

Here's the pass and I unfolded the bag and put it on the laft side. Sorry its semi=transparent and doesn't show too well in the pic.

Ride safe [sm=biker2.gif]

Old 05-11-2007 | 03:13 AM
raaaaaa
|
Road Master

it is the one for the front plate on cars... they let you use them for motorcycles also here in NJ, I got it cause it looks alot better than buying$50 chrome holder for the handle bars. plus its water proof so no wories

Old 05-11-2007 | 03:14 AM
raaaaaa
|
Road Master

just got back from a small ride. it works fine I went through the slow lanes so I can see the display telling me to proceed or stop. I went through 5 of them and 5 back no problems.

Quick Reply: new ezpass installation