Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pics of installing wideband O2 sensors on VH Big Radius pipes

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016 | 07:40 PM
LA_Dog
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Post Pics of installing wideband O2 sensors on VH Big Radius pipes

Nothing too special, just snapped a few pics of the process for locating / measuring the new wide band O2 sensor bungs on late model pipes that come only with the small narrow band bungs. In case anyone wants to see the basic steps and is thinking of doing same.

Wideband bungs need to be closer to the exhaust port than narrow band sensors, hence the need to relocate them higher up on the pipe. Typically place them about 4" from the head end of pipe but no more than 6". Using 45 degree angled stainless bungs as it gives a more correct angle to the sensors. I did this to support adding the new Target Tune module to my Powervision.

Some of you may have "combo" sensor ports on your aftermarket pipes that accommodate both 12mm and 18mm narrow band sensors. Don't try to put 18mm wide band sensors in those locations as the sensor will not give accurate readings. just an fyi-

big pics so let them load-

Rear pipe with new bung taped in place for positioning. kind of hard to see but the next pic shows it from the other side of bike. you need to do this first with pipes on to ensure that the sensors will install and not be hitting anything or touching the cylinders.

rear pipe, taped on bung, other side view. this ensures I will be able to screw in the sensor after it is welded on.

front pipe, drew scribe lines around the perimeter of new bung to mark location and alignment. I used the upper scribe circle since it tucked in a bit nicer than the lower scribe circle. For the rear pipe I had to do the scribing with pipe off of bike which is why I taped that bung on and not the front one.

rear pipe laying flat and just drew scribe line around the outside. I use a dental pick for scribing lines on steel it works great.

Since I will not be doing the welding, I am drawing index lines on the bung and pipe. this is so the welding shop has positioning marks for tack welds to ensure it comes out the way I want it.

with bung taped on pipe I used my dental pick to scribe the inner hole area, through the bung opening. the hole in the pipe must not obstruct the sensor tip or exhaust flow to sensor.

I used a carbide drill to make a few pilot holes then used a carbide tip on dremel to enlarge to scribe lines. I double checked work by placing bung in position then looking through it to ensure the hole I made was large enough.
Yeh the hole is a bit messy but I smoothed it out later.

pipes ready to go to welding shop. I *really* need to buy a small mig welder.... I could have been done already ;p