Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone try a Walmart Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2016, 03:39 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Anyone try a Walmart Battery?

My battery is starting to show weakness despite being on the trickle all the time when I'm not riding. It was supposedly new from the prior owner in 1/14 so it's two years old.

Softails take HD part number 65989-97C for $129, one year warranty. The battery is 6.9"x3.4"x6.1", 330 cca from the website.

This translates to "X20L" part numbers if you search.

I have always had very good luck with Walmart batteries, I've been running them for 20+ years. I think they are made by Johnson Controls. They have part number ES20LBS that is the exact size we need, for $75.

Has anyone tried the Walmart battery? $55 savings could go to more chrome...

Appreciate any advice on the Walmart battery or other batteries folks have had good luck with.

Edit
My 2.5 year old Harley Battery that is always on the trickle charge failed me. Luckily in my garage. I ended up buying a Advanced Auto battery with a great 40% discount thanks to USCanuck below. See the code in this thread. I thought it was going to have the good terminals like the HD battery but it doesn't, It has the lousy terminals with a separate nut that will fall out if you are not careful. HD has a nice terminal but it's not worth double the price to me. With the discount the Advanced Auto is about the same price as Walmart with a similar 90 day warranty.

Last edited by Joe_G; 02-09-2016 at 11:14 AM.
Old 02-02-2016, 04:05 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 786 Likes on 473 Posts

I haven't tried a Walmart motorcycle battery but I've always run them in my autos and they seem to last 3-4 years but I've had a few only last less than a year.

I think before I went with a Walmart battery with a 90 day warranty I'd either go to Batteries Plus and get a Duracell for $125 with a 2 yr warranty or if I had the time I'd order a Big Crank from batterymart.com which is $100 shipped and carries a 1 year warranty.

If I needed it in a pinch I wouldn't have a problem going with a Walmart battery.

Old 02-02-2016, 04:34 PM
GibT
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My daughter put one in her metric bike. Worked great. She didn't have it that long as she traded the bike in on a Dyna. I put a Yuasa in my Heritagelast fall and its working great also. I keep a battery tender on mine. I look for the most cranking amps I can get on the battery also. The 330 that you have mentioned looks pretty good.

Last edited by GibT; 02-02-2016 at 04:38 PM.
Old 02-02-2016, 06:00 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

I don't see a problem with it other than the short warranty. But if it makes it 90 days then chances are it will last 2yrs. They are decent batteries inside. Put a cool sticker over the Walmart label

But really don't ask me because I have a $400 AntiGravity LiFe battery in the Breakout. Weighs like nothing and takes up half the space of a normal battery. Ya I know crazy right? Got it from a friend who reps for AntiGravity, cheap. It's been damn solid but I'd have a hard time paying retail for it.

I like Yuasa too. No problems there. As GibT stated go for the most cranking amps for the buck.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:37 PM
uscanuck
Road Warrior
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Try this one from Advance Auto Parts.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/a...0hl/16940007-P

Use code TRT41 which gives you $40 off on line, return your old battery core and it is $64.

I bought the one for my Ultra about 2 years ago and it is still cranking over fine. Looks a little different but the one I bought was made by Deka.

Old 02-02-2016, 07:52 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by uscanuck
Try this one from Advance Auto Parts.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/a...0hl/16940007-P

Use code TRT41 which gives you $40 off on line, return your old battery core and it is $64.

I bought the one for my Ultra about 2 years ago and it is still cranking over fine. Looks a little different but the one I bought was made by Deka.
Uscanuck THANK YOU!

This is what I will buy. That battery in the pic has a better terminal than the Walmart one which will keep the terminal down where it belongs

I will get this one tomorrow. Thank you for sharing your code with me!

Old 02-02-2016, 08:03 PM
uscanuck
Road Warrior
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Uscanuck THANK YOU!

This is what I will buy. That battery in the pic has a better terminal than the Walmart one which will keep the terminal down where it belongs

I will get this one tomorrow. Thank you for sharing your code with me!
Your welcome. I found the code online a couple years ago and as long as your cart is $100 or more it works.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:07 PM
2wheels4ever
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I put one in my fatboy, at least 4 years ago. It had some kind of fiberglass mat in it that soaked up the acid. Still using it.

Old 02-02-2016, 08:58 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by uscanuck
Your welcome. I found the code online a couple years ago and as long as your cart is $100 or more it works.
Order placed. Again, thank you for taking your time to share that with me (I should say us!). I've made a note of that and will use it as Advanced is 2 miles from my door, it's my parts store.

You made my day sir!

Old 02-02-2016, 09:49 PM
pccoder
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I agree on the comment about Batteries Plus. I've always had great success with all their products.

Quick Reply: Anyone try a Walmart Battery?