Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Softail Deluxe - sissy bar and saddle bags

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 09:38 PM
pccoder
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Softail Deluxe - sissy bar and saddle bags

I am planning an ambitious, long ride this summer; but need as much storage as I can carry.

I love the look of the saddle bags designed for the Deluxe, so they're a certain purchase. For storage they're minimal.

I'm thinking with some sort of duffle bag laying across the passenger seat, strapped with bungee from the built in driver seat rear chrome ring to the small "luggage rack" in the back, I should be covered. However; I don't trust that staying put, and don't want to constantly worry about it either.

SO... Anyone know if I can get a sissy bar to place in the back for even more support? It would not be a full time add on. In other words, I'd only use this setup for long overnight rides. All other times the saddle bags would be installed for good.

I'm hoping some sort of quick release that also allows the saddle bags to be permanently in place, where I can quickly install/remove the sissy bar.

Old 01-29-2016, 06:38 AM
kneesinthebreeze
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

http://www.harley-davidson.com/store...-01-5361805--1

I use this with a backpack that slips over the sissy bar. Works perfect.

Old 01-29-2016, 06:44 AM
CaptKirk
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

You know, I was looking around for a detachable sissy bar for my Lux also. This one looks nice. But, would it work with my easy brackets set I have for my detachable bags??

Old 01-29-2016, 07:17 AM
cocky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 124 Posts

+1 on the sissybar. It works with my leatherpro bags and should with easybrackets. I think someone with the easybrackets will chime in soon. I also have the HD weekend bag that slips over the sissybar and rests ln the stock luggage rack. Between the saddlebags and the weekend bag, plenty of storage.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:21 AM
fatboy slim
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptKirk
You know, I was looking around for a detachable sissy bar for my Lux also. This one looks nice. But, would it work with my easy brackets set I have for my detachable bags??
The Harley detachable sissy bar will work with the Easy Brackets, you just need the spacer kit from Easy B. Had this set up on my Fatboy.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:42 AM
pccoder
Road Warrior

What are "easy brackets"? Where can I get them? Is this something sold by a 3rd party? I'm definitely interested in making sure I can use both the sissy bar and the saddle bags at the same time. Can "cocky" maybe show a picture?

Old 01-29-2016, 08:52 PM
kneesinthebreeze
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Easy Brackets came on my Bags. Very solid and easy to use. I have the detachable sissy bar and I got the mounts with my bags. Here is an example.

http://www.greatbikegear.com/index.p...-backrest.html

Old 01-30-2016, 07:11 AM
cocky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 124 Posts

Mine arent easy brackets and do not have those type to hold them on the bike. However, the principle is the same. There is a spool that gets bolted on the fender rail and the sisssy bar locks in on the portion closest to the seat, then the bags slide on over the end portion of tne spool. My bags use a cam and lever system and locks them to the bike from the inside of the bag and then the bag lid locks also.

Old 02-01-2016, 01:18 PM
greatbikegear
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We are the manufacturer of Easy Brackets, a quick detach system for saddlebags. Easy Brackets attach to the outside of your sissy bar mounts, allowing each to work independently of the other.

Easy Brackets

Recommended Leatherworks saddlebags

We offer a 10% discount to forum members with code HDFORUMS.

If you have any questions, let me know!

Old 02-01-2016, 02:29 PM
pccoder
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by cocky
Mine arent easy brackets and do not have those type to hold them on the bike. However, the principle is the same. There is a spool that gets bolted on the fender rail and the sisssy bar locks in on the portion closest to the seat, then the bags slide on over the end portion of tne spool. My bags use a cam and lever system and locks them to the bike from the inside of the bag and then the bag lid locks also.
That is EXACTLY what I want. Can you let me know how/where you got everything. And...will it work with the bags made specifically for the FLSTN (Deluxe)?