Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blackline 200 Conversion (Pic Heavy)

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 03:36 PM
Rocker B
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

Nice mod!! Looks great!!

Old 01-26-2016, 04:04 PM
Blackp5ca
Tourer
Received 67 Likes on 48 Posts

Thanks guys..dropped the fender off today for Powder..going to try powder instead of paint on this one, see how it holds up. Have a good powder guy willing to give it a try for cheap...nothing to lose. I like the way it's help up on my heat shields so maybe it will be just as durable on the fender.

Here is the underside of the seat showing the two small pieces of the plastic pan I had to cut off..

And a pic of the fender mounted (loosly) without the seat on.

Old 01-26-2016, 06:20 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackp5ca
Thanks..I'll have a look at that calculator!
I was holding out on the front tire at the moment..kinda leaning towards a 23" up front but still on the fence...
sure 23" - hell why not?

Old 01-27-2016, 10:43 AM
Dogs57
Tourer
Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackp5ca
I can snap a pic of the fender without the seat..I have it off now ready for paint but I can pop it back on. The Danny Gray seat fits really tight to the 7" fender and the struts..it almost "wraps" the fender if that makes sense? There is no way it would even come close to wrapping the 8.5" fender unfortunately. There was no way to even modify that seat to make it work that I could see (I really liked that seat, it was comfortable and looked great!) Slim seat is quite wide along the back, was easily modified to fit the fender width..still a great looking seat, not as comfy..but I like the lines on it. (and I have a matching pillion for my kids when they hop on the back!

Heat shields have held up really well, put over 7000kms on the bike this past summer and they still shine like they were just done. They did stink for the first few rides but I've been happy with the outcome.. (nice looking Train by the way!)
Did you paint or powdercoat them? I painted the heat shields on my 91 Fatboy with Duplicolor Satin Black engine block paint. Had it on there for several years and it still looked new when I traded it in. Thinking about going that way again only with gloss black. Thanks for the compliment on my bike from one nice looking bike owner to another.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:47 AM
oneloudz71
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is going to be nice! I had an '09 Night Train and the thing that bugged me most when the blacklines came out was the skinny rear.

Old 01-27-2016, 11:26 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dogs57
Did you paint or powdercoat them? I painted the heat shields on my 91 Fatboy with Duplicolor Satin Black engine block paint. Had it on there for several years and it still looked new when I traded it in. Thinking about going that way again only with gloss black. Thanks for the compliment on my bike from one nice looking bike owner to another.
Something to consider- It's nearly impossible to shoot rattle can gloss black on anything and have it come out professional nice. flaws and un-even-ness of gloss will be present. only thing that shoots good gloss out of a can is lacquer, and that won't hold up to the heat.

For DIY on pipes / heat shields, stick with satin or flat from a rattle can, if you want good gloss you pretty much need to go with the powdercoat.

I'm only mentioning this since your bike is really nice and I don't think you'll be happy with the rattle can outcome.

Old 01-27-2016, 01:01 PM
Blackp5ca
Tourer

I agree with LA Dog, stick with Powder on the heat shields. It's pretty cheap to have done and it's held up great. Doesn't seem to scratch as easy as my painted parts too.
My heat shields were a little rough to begin with, terribly pitted (prev. owner had put exhaust wrap on heat shields..moisture got to the better of them) the finish on them isn't like glass but they still look decent!

I happened to stumble across a front wheel from a 2012 Dyna Wide Glide (same 21"x 2.15") but with a stepped lip and stainless hub, it would match the rear Crossbones rim perfectly. I believe all wide glide front wheels have the same hub?? (anyone?)
Think it's worth snagging or am I getting too **** with rims matching?? I have a feeling I'm the only one who will notice their different other than the die-hards?
I was really leaning towards a 23" but damn that Canadian dollar..the more I look into it it's going to cost me a fortune!

Old 01-27-2016, 02:04 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

[EDIt~~!!!] man I must be smoking something because I read that all wrong (that's what I get for multitasking). sorry for that if anyone read my stupid wrong info.

FXDWG is as you said, 21" 2.15. same wheel so same fit. if you get it cheap and it matches better, it'd do it.

but - a 21x3.5 is indeed a better size to run wit ha 120/70 tire. but understandably hard to find a match for your rear wheel.

Ref: http://www.bikeline.se/dokument/bibl...ackstorlek.pdf

Last edited by LA_Dog; 01-27-2016 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:46 PM
Blackp5ca
Tourer

Rear splash guard installed and rear fender came back from Powder yesterday..turned out ok..I think paint may have been a better option (would have had more depth and the painter would have worked out some of the fender inperfections) but this will work for now..I'll see how it holds up and maybe have it sprayed half way through the season if I get too picky. As you can see..lots of snow on the ground now so I wont be hitting the roads for a couple months.
Next on the docket is a new rear pulley (that's why the rear axle is in there loosely..back tire needs to come out again.)
Anyway..on to the pics. Overall, pretty happy with the lines..

The following 3 users liked this post by Blackp5ca:
Bluegrass Phil (01-10-2021), Phil McGrath (03-03-2021), Sith66 (06-03-2024)
Old 01-29-2016, 01:37 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member

Looks pretty sweet in the pics bud! I'd suggest painting the fender strut bolt heads gloss black to match- it's pretty easy to do with light coat of self etch primer and coat of gloss black epoxy or lacquer. it just fades them in better and they no longer stand out. I didn't remove my bolts to paint them, just did one side at a time- back the bolts out 1/8" get some tape around them and cover rest of bike, prime and paint the bolt heads, let them dry for a day and refasten. then do other side. if you put a small piece of masking tape on the torx bit face it won't chip the paint inside the torx bolt recess. but if it does, it's easy to touch up with a toothpick dipped in same paint. automotive stores carry the rattle can of self etch primer.

Quick Reply: Blackline 200 Conversion (Pic Heavy)