Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing the grips

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2016, 12:41 PM
hotrodbob
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Changing the grips

I have some new grips. How hard are they. The instructions say to put a 5/32 insert between the brake lever. Can some give me some advice?

Old 01-08-2016, 12:54 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 82 Posts

Google it on YouTube and you'll find great how to videos. I don't know if you have throttle by wire or throttle cables, the install is a little different so I can't link a video to you. There are many and it's not a hard job. If throttle cables, put a towel down so when those little ferrules fall (and they will) they hopefully won't roll under the workbench.

Old 01-08-2016, 02:13 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,440 Likes on 4,753 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G
Google it on YouTube and you'll find great how to videos. I don't know if you have throttle by wire or throttle cables, the install is a little different so I can't link a video to you. There are many and it's not a hard job. If throttle cables, put a towel down so when those little ferrules fall (and they will) they hopefully won't roll under the workbench.
Towel? Thought I was the only one did that. I throw an old sheet on the floor when disassembling anything small for the same reason. I hate spending 20 minutes looking for stuff. *grinz

Old 01-08-2016, 02:17 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Lol TFB age and experience teaches us a few things huh!

Old 01-08-2016, 02:41 PM
mmarkfa
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hotrodbob
I have some new grips. How hard are they. The instructions say to put a 5/32 insert between the brake lever. Can some give me some advice?
They are very easy to do especially if you have TBW. Squeeze the Front brake and put in a 5/32 allen wrench between the brake lever and the housing. For the Clutch side install of the grip I use double sided masking tape (used for Golf grips) to keep the grip secure then if need be to remove you just use some mineral spirit injected between the grip and handlebar.

Good Luck.
Mark

Old 01-08-2016, 02:44 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

If you do not put something between the brake lever and switch the brake switch will most likely break. I used a small index card piece folded up. Squeeze elver and stick it in between the elver and the switch housing prior to opening the switch housing.

Old 01-08-2016, 02:59 PM
Mother
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

This video covers both cable and throttle by wire, which I believe the OP has based on his other thread about his 2016 Slim.

Old 01-08-2016, 03:04 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

I use my wife's hairspray to keep my left grip on. I have to re-spray it every 6 months or so as it will start to loosen up. I think newer controls hold the left grip like they do the right grip so this is unnecessary.

Old 01-08-2016, 03:09 PM
Mother
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Yeah, the newer ones mechanically interlock with the switch housing.

Old 01-08-2016, 03:40 PM
SP1978
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The left grip is easy as others described. I had to replace the right grip and it was a throttle by wire. I could not find good instructions so finally took it to a local dealer. It took them just a few minutes to replace the grip. Since they do this a lot. They also were able to get the right amount of spacing between the grip and the housing so that it feels good and yet has enough free movement.

Quick Reply: Changing the grips