Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Raw Gas Smell After Shutdown, Need Recommendation For A Charcoal Filter For Tank Vent

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2015 | 08:38 AM
Joe_G
|
Stellar HDF Member
Default Raw Gas Smell After Shutdown, Need Recommendation For A Charcoal Filter For Tank Vent

===========
SOLVED
===========

Evidently it's a very common problem to have a strong raw gas smell in the garage after a ride. I read scores of threads on the subject with no solutions.

I've traced the smell to my tank vent in front of the back tire. I have a 49 state bike which means I have a one way fuel vapor valve which allows the tank to vent directly to atmosphere, with a spring loaded mechanism in the valve that shuts off the flow if the valve is not upright (such as if the bike tipped over, the valve prevents liquid gas from coming out the vent tube). I removed my front rear fender panel, removed the valve and checked it, it appears to be working properly.

Newer California bikes have a big charcoal canister on the front down tubes that the tank vents into (cars have had this type of charcoal canister fuel tank vent since 1968) so that there is no tank vent direct to atmosphere and no smell. Older bikes like my TC softail have the canister above the shocks in the area behind the transmission, accessible by removing the rear fender close out panel at the front of the fender (two bolts and a clip on top hold it in place).

I would like a small charcoal canister to vent my tank into, and there's a little room above the swing arm for a small canister. I'm tired of the garage smelling like gas for a while after I ride.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a small charcoal canister for this purpose? Thanks in advance.

===========
Turns out the factory charcoal canister for CA bikes works perfectly and solves this problem.

Here are the part numbers if anyone else wants to get one to solve this problem. You have to order the parts for a 2010 softail, I snipped the catalog page below for anyone's convenience.

Last edited by Joe_G; 01-17-2016 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-31-2015 | 08:47 AM
Joe_G
|
Stellar HDF Member

The canister I need will go on the end of tube 19 on the diagram below. Item 27 is the one way spring loaded vapor valve that allows the tank to vent out to atmosphere.

Old 12-31-2015 | 10:04 AM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member

I feel we covered this already.... : icon_bricks:

Old 12-31-2015 | 10:36 AM
HenryT
Road Master

I have not had this strong gas smell you speak of? Mines not a Cal model either. This does not sound normal. Shouldn't you try and address the cause of it, instead?

Old 12-31-2015 | 11:12 AM
Joe_G
|
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by HenryT
I have not had this strong gas smell you speak of? Mines not a Cal model either. This does not sound normal. Shouldn't you try and address the cause of it, instead?
There are pages of threads about it (150 hits on one search of HDforums https://www.google.com/search?q=hdfo...&bih=758&dpr=2

Funny thing is I read I think every one of those threads and there are no solutions that I can see. A couple of people had actual fuel leaks but I've checked and double checked and I have none.

So I don't think there is anything wrong with my bike. When the bike is cold it can sit for a week or more and no smell. After a ride when I pull in the garage and shut the door, a few minutes later I can smell raw gas coming from that vent hose. Seems after I park the heat from the engine heats the tank and the fumes expand and come out that vent as designed. I've tried opening my cap for a minute or two after a ride and sometimes it helps, but not always.

I'm hoping someone has figured out a small charcoal canister to capture these fumes. That would solve my problem.

Old 12-31-2015 | 11:22 AM
HenryT
Road Master

Originally Posted by Joe_G
There are pages of threads about it (150 hits on one search of HDforums https://www.google.com/search?q=hdfo...&bih=758&dpr=2

Funny thing is I read I think every one of those threads and there are no solutions that I can see. A couple of people had actual fuel leaks but I've checked and double checked and I have none.

So I don't think there is anything wrong with my bike. When the bike is cold it can sit for a week or more and no smell. After a ride when I pull in the garage and shut the door, a few minutes later I can smell raw gas coming from that vent hose. Seems after I park the heat from the engine heats the tank and the fumes expand and come out that vent as designed. I've tried opening my cap for a minute or two after a ride and sometimes it helps, but not always.

I'm hoping someone has figured out a small charcoal canister to capture these fumes. That would solve my problem.
They do caution not to overfill the fuel tank....could that be it?

Old 12-31-2015 | 12:02 PM
Joe_G
|
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by HenryT
They do caution not to overfill the fuel tank....could that be it?
No, I don't overfill, and I don't fill up and return home. Most of the time my tank is about ½ full in my garage. But I do appreciate the ideas, who knows I might be missing something. I've researched this pretty well and I think its due to the fuel heating up when the bike is shut down and causing vapors to release.

I suppose I could try plugging the vent hose - my riding lawn mower doesn't have a tank vent and it never smells in the garage.

I should mention that I tested my gas cap and it's working as designed - you can draw air through it but it blocks air from coming out.

Old 12-31-2015 | 05:28 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator

Both my bikes smell of raw gas for about 12/24h after parking in the garage. I also rarely fill up just before getting home. I've just gotten used to the smell or I open the garage door for about an hour. I didn't know there was a fix and I definitely don't have any leaks. Pretty sure my Heritages also did the same.

Old 12-31-2015 | 05:37 PM
Joe_G
|
Stellar HDF Member

Lauren the California bikes (and every car made since 1968) have a charcoal canister.

A Springer brother is going to send me his canister and tubing from his CA bike.

I'll post up if it fixes the problem. I expect it will.

Old 12-31-2015 | 05:38 PM
JustDave13
Extreme HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

The fuel filler cap would be a place to look, if you can't find leaks that would be first on my list to check

Quick Reply: Raw Gas Smell After Shutdown, Need Recommendation For A Charcoal Filter For Tank Vent