Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Raw Gas Smell After Shutdown, Need Recommendation For A Charcoal Filter For Tank Vent

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2016 | 12:39 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Dang it, man, if I didn't smell oil & gas I'd think something was wrong.
@ Joe, I'd be interested in the charcoal canister install and what you think at the end.

Old 01-03-2016 | 01:41 PM
Joe_G
|
Stellar HDF Member

TFB you know I'll be sure and post up my results, good or bad. I am very confident this will work. The canister is about $40 list price so it's not expensive if it ends up working like I think it will.

Old 01-04-2016 | 03:36 AM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member

I think the cap on the canister shown is a air bleed/vent on the port to allow slight venting so it doesn't suck fuel out of the tank or put a vacumn on the tank. on carb bikes any vac in the tank would cause issues with the gravity style feed to the carb. with fuel injection a vent on the canister isn't needed because of the elec fuel pump and a vented fuel cap. any possible vac pulled on the tank by eng vac would /should be vented by the cap.

on the original canister you posted you could connect the solenoid vac port to the air cleaner side of the throttle body if there was a way to hook a line into the back side of the air cleaner housing.

you could also just run a hose down to the bottom of the frame rail leaving it just below frame with a slight angle on it and while driving down the road the air passing over the hose would create a natural vac on the system.

Originally Posted by Joe_G
FFB thanks for your post! I didn't realize that the original canisters were open to air.

The service manual page for my 2003 canister is below. As you can see, it is a simpler system. Only the tank vent and the vacuum from the throttle body hook to the canister. I can't tell if that elbow on the back is a cap or not. On the carb bikes that port goes to the air cleaner. My factory air cleaner doesn't have a port on it.

On my bike the throttle body port is on the air cleaner side of the throttle blade so it doesn't have constant vacuum, only partial vacuum when the throttle blade is open. Thus the canister gets the cleaning vacuum only during part throttle cruising, not at idle.

The question is would this canister work and for how long if I didn't run the vacuum line to the throttle body. Since it's pretty easy to raise the tank and run the line I'll probably do it the right way.

Old 01-17-2016 | 06:45 PM
Joe_G
|
Stellar HDF Member

This problem is solved.

The factory canister does a great job. I picked up some 5/16 fuel like from the parts store, ran the ported vacuum line from the factory port on the throttle body, under the frame, down past the oil tank and battery next to the factory tank vent, hooked up both lines to the canister (it's marked which port is which) and viola, problem solved. The charcoal canister absorbs the fuel vapors, and the ported vacuum draws off the fumes and burns them when the engine is running. I am currently using zip ties to hold the canister but I've ordered the factory bracket as well, it's just not in stock yet.

Old 01-17-2016 | 07:20 PM
Tony_N
Road Master

Glad you got it worked out Joe.