Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cables - Is There A Difference?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2015, 10:55 PM
Berick
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Cables - Is There A Difference?

I just changed out my bars to 14" Carlini Flying Apes and I need to replace my throttle cables, clutch cable and brake line.

Is there a difference as far as quality is concerned between the HD brand and the aftermarket guys? Does anyone sell cables that are guaranteed not to break or snap... or are they all pretty much equal?

Old 12-12-2015, 07:24 PM
JeffJA
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

i wouldn't be surprised if the "aftermarket guys" also make the "HD brand" cables..
anyway, i have Burlys on mine, so far they look good and work great.

Old 12-12-2015, 07:32 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,784 Likes on 3,157 Posts

Any cable with the silicon liner (almost maintenance free,) is the way to go. My last cable replacement came from Barnett.

Old 12-13-2015, 03:43 PM
Freak Show
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 515 Likes on 453 Posts

just did my 14 Carlini Evil apes on my FB Lo, only thing i was worried about was having enough slack. most cable kits call for using them with a standard 2 inch rise, but my risers are 2 1/2 inches... Plenty of slack, used Burly. They came with the extension wiring.

Old 12-14-2015, 11:19 AM
FLS103
Road Warrior
Received 240 Likes on 154 Posts

I use Barnett, they are the cable of choice for Carlini and LA Choppers. Figured they wouldn't use them if they were junk.
On my last bar change I used the Barnett cables and a Goodridge brake line. A+ quality on both

Old 12-14-2015, 11:52 AM
Berick
Road Captain

I was considering going with Magnum Black Pearl lines but nobody has mentioned their quality yet. Their website shows kits for the height of your apes and the overage over OEM they use for the varying heights of bars..... which I found quite helpful when mocking things up on my bike.

Old 12-14-2015, 05:49 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Berick
I was considering going with Magnum Black Pearl lines but nobody has mentioned their quality yet. Their website shows kits for the height of your apes and the overage over OEM they use for the varying heights of bars..... which I found quite helpful when mocking things up on my bike.
I am running the Magnumshielding Black pearl cables and brake lines. So far after three years no issues with them. Top quality in my book. Only complaint is that the do appear to be more on the grey side then black. I would definitely buy them again.

Old 12-15-2015, 07:29 AM
Otter
Road Master
Received 117 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Berick
I had the Black pearl on my slim. They worked great, and for the most part looked great. The outer clear sheath did separate in a few places causing the cable to look grey rather than black in a few places, for that reason I wont be using them again, especially since they are spendy. I’ve also used Burlys before and I have no complains about them, and thats probably what I’ll order for this bike also

Old 12-15-2015, 02:55 PM
Berick
Road Captain

I'll have to look into the Burly's and Barnett's. I don't want to spend what Magnum is asking for their lines just to have something like the clear sheathing let go. They are quite expensive!

Old 12-15-2015, 03:20 PM
Freak Show
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 515 Likes on 453 Posts

that's why i went with burly, think it was 230 something for the 14 inch kit

Quick Reply: Cables - Is There A Difference?