Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension now or later

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2015 | 06:16 PM
stphardcore
|
Intermediate
Default Suspension now or later

On a 2013 FLS I plan on powder coating the fork legs this winter. Since I'll have the forks disassembled I want to install lowered progressive monotubes... shotgun shocks will have to wait a while for funds. My question is this: would it be awkward to have a lowered front suspension while waiting a few months for new rear suspension? I ask because I really don't feel like taking apart my forks twice.

Old 12-12-2015 | 08:52 AM
badluckfxsts
Advanced

Originally Posted by stphardcore
My question is this: would it be awkward to have a lowered front suspension while waiting a few months for new rear suspension?
I can't answer your question so I'll make a suggestion. Lower the front and buy the lowering collars (kit) from dead creek cycles. I think they even have a discount code around here. Guys that bought it swore by it. It's cheap and will get you by till you get the Shotgun funds.

Unless I'm totally wrong and and missed bad reviews on it. If that's the case forget I said anything.

Old 12-12-2015 | 09:02 AM
HenryT
Road Master

Originally Posted by badluckfxsts
I can't answer your question so I'll make a suggestion. Lower the front and buy the lowering collars (kit) from dead creek cycles. I think they even have a discount code around here. Guys that bought it swore by it. It's cheap and will get you by till you get the Shotgun funds.

Unless I'm totally wrong and and missed bad reviews on it. If that's the case forget I said anything.
Then your doing the rears twice pretty much. Do the fronts now and hurry up and get that money together for the rear.

Old 12-12-2015 | 09:10 AM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member

On a 2013 FLS I plan on powder coating the fork legs this winter. Since I'll have the forks disassembled I want to install lowered progressive monotubes... shotgun shocks will have to wait a while for funds. My question is this: would it be awkward to have a lowered front suspension while waiting a few months for new rear suspension? I ask because I really don't feel like taking apart my forks twice.
IMHO, do it now, cause a couple of months is still winter and you're not
going to be riding much up north anyway.

T.

Old 12-17-2015 | 08:21 PM
J.D.1
Former Sponsor

6 month interest free financing available through PayPal for Shotgun Shocks

Old 12-18-2015 | 12:06 AM
Hocus-Pocus
Road Master

I would wait until you can do it all at once. Lowering the front without also doing the rear is going to steepen the head angle and make the steering quicker. JMHO.

Old 12-18-2015 | 06:34 PM
HenryT
Road Master

Originally Posted by Hocus-Pocus
I would wait until you can do it all at once. Lowering the front without also doing the rear is going to steepen the head angle and make the steering quicker. JMHO.
This is the best choice. But since OP is in the north he probably will not be riding much or at all the next few months. So as long as he's not riding the bike in the unbalanced state you mention it should be OK.

Old 12-20-2015 | 04:19 PM
stphardcore
|
Intermediate

Thanks for everybody's input. I said f it and went with JD's advice. 6 Months no interest made it a much easier route. I'm really looking forward to new suspension on the slim, I've heard it makes all the difference in the world.

Old 12-20-2015 | 09:37 PM
kinect
Cruiser

Thanks for everybody's input. I said f it and went with JD's advice. 6 Months no interest made it a much easier route. I'm really looking forward to new suspension on the slim, I've heard it makes all the difference in the world.

Please provide feedback on the PAYPAL CREDIT zero interest plan after a couple or so months. I also wanted to go this route but I prefer to save for the total amount of the shotguns after hearing not so nice reviews on paypal credit formerly known as the bill me later. I also already know how good the shotguns are based on reviews so I don't need anymore feedback on that. Thanks.

Old 12-22-2015 | 09:26 AM
Heritage Classic 5007
5th Gear

I was in the same boat and did the front forks lower chromed and progressive mono-tube kit to avoid doing the job twice.

I saved up for the rear shotgun shocks and now have both the front and rear completed.

If you can do the rear I would get them done and you will love the SS on your ride. ✊😁

Quick Reply: Suspension now or later