Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apes - another question

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 12:12 PM
ga4boats
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Apes - another question

I sat on some bikes at a dealer in Arizona this weekend that had apes. I liked them. I see a lot of posts here from riders who have put minis, 12", 14s, etc. on and have said "I wish I had put 16" ones on." My question is there a rule of thumb for the best size? I am not focused on looks; I want comfort for both long and short rides. I am 6' tall and have a 35" sleeve length. Thanks for any feedback that may be provided.

Brent.

Old 05-07-2007, 12:41 PM
DickGrayson
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Apes - another question

If it matters, you might want to check the laws in your state before you get set. That might impact your decision.

Old 05-07-2007, 12:48 PM
bak n blak
Advanced

I'm 5'10" and have 16" apes w/a 2" riser, wish I had 18's on there. My bike is lowered 2" and my hands are slightly above shoulders, if I'm sitting back. If I see the law, I sit very upright and they match in line w/my shoulders. It's very comfortable, and I wouldn't ride w/anything else. I'd recommend riding someone's who has 16's and see where that puts you.
rob

Old 05-07-2007, 12:53 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

5'9" with 16" Wild1 Chubbies. I had 12.5" Apes before and wanted them a little taller for maximum comfort. I think comfort can possible be different for each person and riding the bike once may tell you a little but once you get used to it, that is when you find out if it is comfortable or not. When I first got my bike withthe 12.5" apes on it it was difficult to say if I was comfy. Once I took her on a long trip I verified it was comfy but would be more comfy with bars a little higher.

Old 05-07-2007, 01:13 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

For me comfort seems to be maximized somewhere +/-1" to shoulder level. I'm 5'8". 12.5's on the stock risers hit me just right. I've got 10" mini-apes on my Sporties. Those sit a tiny bit lower but are still comfortable, perhaps even a bit more so than the 12.5's. I'm not factoring in seat height or anything here, only the bars.

Now I believe all my bars are comfortable. I'm merely confirming which bars are more comfortable relative to the others I own. I'm not trying to say that taller bars = less comfort although I do think the law of diminishing returns does apply to apes.

I believe there is another factor. Something I haven't seen a lot of reference to is the bar widths. I think that plays a role on comfort, at least as much as height. Taller plays a role. But so does wider. That's why I think my Sporties feel more comfortable over the Springer. The Springer bars are wider. That extra width brings my arms out further. Generally, people's arms will become fatigued faster when extended. For example: Most people can do fewer wide-grip pull-ups versus a standard pull-up with their arms straight over their head.

There doesn't seem to be a magic formula. It’s extremely dependent on personal preference. You have to try as many out on other bikes as you can and then take the plunge and put a set on your own bike to try them out.

Of course you need ensure you conform to the legal requirements too.

Old 05-07-2007, 01:17 PM
ga4boats
Road Warrior

Dick, I checked the AMA site that gives a link to state motorcycle laws. For Georgia the law is as follows:

Maximum of 15" above seat

Does anyone know exactly how that is measured? My seat, like all seats, is not flat like a board. If stopped, do they measure at the highest point or somewhere else?

Old 05-07-2007, 01:50 PM
DickGrayson
Road Captain

I think here in Maryland, the law says that it is measured from the point where the rider sits. I'm guessing they'd measure from the lowest butt area on the seat. Knowing how most cops are jerks, they'd measure to give you a ticket.

Old 05-07-2007, 03:19 PM
ga4boats
Road Warrior

Dick, you are probably right, which means I would have to go with 12.5 or 14 to be safe. By the way, I looked at your attached pictures, and the bars on your Standard look nice as well. Are those Carlini's? Which model are they?

Old 05-07-2007, 04:32 PM
DickGrayson
Road Captain

Yeah, they are Carlini Clean Sweeps. I can't remember the dimensions, but I think they have a 7" rise.

I was going to get apes on mine and measured to see how much higher they would be than the Carlini bars. The bars I have now are something like 12 and half inches from my butt groove. My stock buckhorn bars would probably be illegal on my bike, which is just ridiculous. I'll probably put some 14's on there eventually and just deal with the law when I have to.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:47 PM
bak n blak
Advanced

ga4boats - where are you in GA? I'm in Alpharetta - guess I'm probably riding an illegal bike too! We need to get a bunch of the GA boys on the forum together for a ride!
rob

[IMG]
[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Apes - another question