Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gas cap question

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015 | 12:55 PM
Freak Show
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Default gas cap question

i've noticed this problem a few times but, i went to the pump and filled up. went riding and after 50 or so miles the gas gauge reads less that half, by 80 miles it reads just above a quarter tank. so i go back to the pump and i put fuel in and it's 1.8 gallons. why does the gauge keep doing that. anyone else have this trouble. i want to replace them anyway and possibly go with a dummy for the left side.

Old 11-16-2015 | 01:14 PM
rickybrandt
Novice

I have a kuryakyn gauge on my left side tank - it's the LED style and seems to read pretty accurately. The one issue I have is that after every fill-up my fuel light comes on (the one on the speedo face), and stays on for 50-75 miles. Sounds like a different but possibly related issue? Maybe a float or sending unit problem?

I found some interesting discussions on

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...s-it-work.html

Old 11-16-2015 | 03:18 PM
Freak Show
|
Seasoned HDF Member

seems a few people have this problem. i always paid more attention to my mileage than the gauge anyways. thanks for the link

Old 11-17-2015 | 07:07 AM
cocky
Outstanding HDF Member

My deluxe does exactly the same thing. I only pay attention to it until it gets into the 1/4 range and then i monitor it by the dash readout.

Old 11-17-2015 | 08:19 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Freak Show
seems a few people have this problem. i always paid more attention to my mileage than the gauge anyways. thanks for the link
I still do this as well. From back in the day when I had no gas gauge at all. Just remember to reset the trip meter at every fill.

Old 11-17-2015 | 08:31 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Your sending unit in the tank is probably bad. Like other mentioned, I reset the trip and that is my gas gage most of the time. Even on day trips, 100 miles for me and I need a stretch anyway. My gage works correctly and the light comes on at about a gallon left. Only reason I know is I checked. Other bike is carb and only has a reserve. After reaching down a few times to turn reserve on, I knew I did not want to do that silliness running out of gas with idiot cagers tailgating me ever again. I fill up ever 100 miles. Not big deal for me however. Son's bike is newer and does not work period.

Old 11-17-2015 | 08:37 AM
jam436
Supporter

The stock gauge is notoriously inaccurate anyway.
I changed my speedo for a new analog one from HD
(Combination Analog Speedometer/Tachometer, 5" - Spun Aluminum Dial - p/n 74774-11)
That one is far more accurate... When the stock gauge pegs at "E", the new one says 1/4 tank left, which is right.

Old 11-17-2015 | 10:57 AM
Freak Show
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Your sending unit in the tank is probably bad. Like other mentioned, I reset the trip and that is my gas gage most of the time. Even on day trips, 100 miles for me and I need a stretch anyway. My gage works correctly and the light comes on at about a gallon left. Only reason I know is I checked. Other bike is carb and only has a reserve. After reaching down a few times to turn reserve on, I knew I did not want to do that silliness running out of gas with idiot cagers tailgating me ever again. I fill up ever 100 miles. Not big deal for me however. Son's bike is newer and does not work period.
so since the sending unit is probably bad, then even if i got a different gauge it's still not going to work correctly? maybe i'l just stick to using the trip and get a dummy cap

Old 11-17-2015 | 12:50 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

You need to update your signature with another line with your year,model and Harley letters. What is it?

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 11-17-2015 at 12:55 PM.
Old 11-17-2015 | 12:53 PM
Freak Show
|
Seasoned HDF Member

there ya go

Quick Reply: gas cap question