Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deluxe driver seat fixing

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015, 07:45 AM
millionizer
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deluxe driver seat fixing

When replacing the driver seat on my Deluxe 2006, one of the fixing screws fell through its hole. Can't seem to find it, have wheeled the bike forward and backwards in case it fell on the tyre, but can't find the screw. Even if i had the screw, how do I fit it back through? Not enough space to fit my hand under the fender to get any sense of location etc? any tips much appreciated, thanks.

Old 11-18-2015, 02:28 PM
djdeluxe
4th Gear

They are both connected under the fender with a strap. You can try to fish a hangar up the side to push it back around to the hole or you may have to remove the fender to locate it. Mine has slipped twice and I'm becoming a pro at fender removal/install. Its not difficult. 10 minutes max.

Old 11-18-2015, 04:31 PM
millionizer
Novice

Many thanks for that, djdeluxe, got it. There is a rubber cover which is fixed with one plastic screw to the fender. (just around the area where the strap is located on the inside of the fender) I took this off, lifted the cover slightly and was able to slip my hand into the space to guide the strap with bolt back into place. Glad I learned something new ;-) Thanks again.

Old 11-19-2015, 03:32 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 82 Posts

If you remove the computer (4 bolts) you can remove the little tray it sits in, then you have all the room you need to reach in and hold up those bolts.

You can buy replacement plastic washers to hold them up at your HD dealer or if you're cheap like me you could make them out of a milk jug.

While I"m talking about it if you ever lose the rear seat nut, you can drop some string in the hole, tie a little stick or something to hold the nut, pull the nut in place then drop the string back through. Thus, no fender removal needed.

Oh if you ever need to remove the fender for another reason, get a Torx 47 bit from an auto parts store. Most kits come with T45 an the MOCO puts so much loc-tite on those bolts that you'll likely strip the bolts. The proper bit helps a lot.

Just a few tips there from what I've learned sometimes the hard way.

Old 11-20-2015, 01:47 PM
millionizer
Novice

Many thanks Joe_G, great tips, will definitely try out. Great to learn more. While with my previous Ironhead Sportster I've learned mostly the hard way also, this time round I made the effort to get onto this forum to learn as much as possible to do with my Deluxe so to avoid costly mistakes. Thanks again.

Old 11-20-2015, 02:00 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by millionizer
Many thanks Joe_G, great tips, will definitely try out. Great to learn more. While with my previous Ironhead Sportster I've learned mostly the hard way also, this time round I made the effort to get onto this forum to learn as much as possible to do with my Deluxe so to avoid costly mistakes. Thanks again.
You're more than welcome and very smart move on your part asking a question on the forum - I've learned a ton from forums in the last 16 years since I started with them! In my experience I think it's wise to post up for any project you plan to do, you'll get some best practices from folks who've already been down the road you are about to embark upon.

I should mention in my note above, the rear seat nut is held up in the fender by a clip, but if you lose it, the HD dealer has the nut and clip for a few dollars.

Old 11-20-2015, 02:08 PM
millionizer
Novice

Thanks Joe_G, am actually planning on some work over the winter so will definitely be back here. Will get some pictures posted to get conversations going. I've started with custom saddle bags in a nice brown and now plan on changing the seats' leather to match, then overall paint job to go with new leather outfit - that should keep me busy over cold and wet winter - ;-)

Old 11-20-2015, 02:13 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Oh yes please post up pics! I like to document my mods online as well with pics, you often get a good idea from someone.

Being an 06 you might want to take a peek at your cam chain tensioners, it's an easy job, I did a little how to.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...with-pics.html