Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Fatboy Lo Load Equalizer

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 11:05 PM
j_aguilar5142
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 Fatboy Lo Load Equalizer

I installed the alloy art led blinkers on the front and the custom dynamics integrated taillight on the back. I am getting the usual fast blink on the dash and now I'm getting some weird flickering on the taillight. I called custom dynamics and asked about their load equalizer and they told me I didn't need one and sent me an email with how to hack the CANBUS system. I appreciated that they did that bc it would save me $$, but I have tried and tried their hack and just cannot get it to work. Has anyone here with a '11 softail been able to override the system using a hack or will I need an equalizer after all?

Old 11-17-2015, 12:56 AM
1320Exotic
3rd Gear
Default 2011 Fatboy Load Equilizer

I also have a 2011 Fatboy, I have LED's and the Red Security/Electrical Fault Light stays on, I have a Load Equalizer, took it to Local Harley Dealer, their answer was that the 2011 was the first year with that ECU, and that it was so sensitive, that it picks up the LED's as low volt short in system. Supposedly 2012 they changed and it's not a problem. But I still have light on in dash.
I changed the Load Eq. and had no effect...F.Y.I.

Old 11-17-2015, 01:36 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,437 Likes on 4,752 Posts

Originally Posted by j_aguilar5142
I installed the alloy art led blinkers on the front and the custom dynamics integrated taillight on the back. I am getting the usual fast blink on the dash and now I'm getting some weird flickering on the taillight. I called custom dynamics and asked about their load equalizer and they told me I didn't need one and sent me an email with how to hack the CANBUS system. I appreciated that they did that bc it would save me $$, but I have tried and tried their hack and just cannot get it to work. Has anyone here with a '11 softail been able to override the system using a hack or will I need an equalizer after all?
Curious, have you tried removing the rear LED and see if the problem still exists? If so, keep the front, had a bud with the same issue with his '11 Heritage. Front LED worked as long as he didn't install the rear. Maybe it'll work for you too.
As for my '14, I had installed the HD run/brake/turn adapter prior to ordering the rear LED. Have to use CD's adapter for the rear LEDS, they will not work with the HD adapter.

Last edited by Tampa Fatboy; 11-17-2015 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11-17-2015, 01:51 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I have front and rear Custom Dynamic Led's along with their led tail light and a led head light. I have no issues and no equalizer on my 2011 Fatboy Lo. Just a fast flashing signal light on my speedo but the lights are normal.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:20 PM
j_aguilar5142
Novice

Originally Posted by Misbehaven
I have front and rear Custom Dynamic Led's along with their led tail light and a led head light. I have no issues and no equalizer on my 2011 Fatboy Lo. Just a fast flashing signal light on my speedo but the lights are normal.
I appreciate the replies, I forgot I had another thread in the electrical forum as well. Turns out the problem I had was that my tire rubbed through part of the wiring under the rear fender, causing the open output codes and the flickering. Once the wiring was rebuilt the bike is operating as expected, normal blinker rate but rapid flashes on the dash indicator.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:42 PM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

If you check your codes, you will find that the system thinks your front bulbs are burnt out. That is why the dash blinks fast. The bulbs still blink at a normal rate though. The fast blink drove me crazy so I put normal bulbs back in the front.
The system seems to only care about the fronts being LED. My system is working fine with LED rear and normal front.

Old 11-18-2015, 02:14 AM
Nostradamus74
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

On my 2014 Breakout I installed front led turn signals without load equalizers and had turn signals and dash light fast blinking. Read somewhere to try and leave the turn signals blinking for some minutes, this way the ECM would "learn" to recognize the new led turn signals. Told my dealer to try this "procedure" and they said it was BS...guess what? They left turn signals blinking for about 15 minutes and the DCT code disappeared, turn signals blink normally as well as dash light. They couldn't believe to their eyes.
Same thing with a friend of mine on a 2015 Touring model.
Don't ask me how it works and if this strange procedure works for all led lights or models because I have no idea. Just thought my own experience could be of help.

Old 11-18-2015, 10:47 AM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Nostradamus74
On my 2014 Breakout I installed front led turn signals without load equalizers and had turn signals and dash light fast blinking. Read somewhere to try and leave the turn signals blinking for some minutes, this way the ECM would "learn" to recognize the new led turn signals. Told my dealer to try this "procedure" and they said it was BS...guess what? They left turn signals blinking for about 15 minutes and the DCT code disappeared, turn signals blink normally as well as dash light. They couldn't believe to their eyes.
Same thing with a friend of mine on a 2015 Touring model.
Don't ask me how it works and if this strange procedure works for all led lights or models because I have no idea. Just thought my own experience could be of help.
Tried the same procedure and for me it didn't work....but I do have load equalizers installed for the front and rear turn signals. Dash light is still blinking fast. But anyway, it's worth a try!

Old 11-18-2015, 11:18 AM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Misbehaven
A simple trick that was given to me by Custom Dynamics to stop the fast-flashing dash lights...
Cycle your four-ways on for a minute or two, this is supposed to "re-sync" the flash rate. This has worked for me although sometimes I'd have to run the four-ways for longer than two minutes, and for some reason the "fast flash" always seems to return randomly...