Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 FATBOY Stage1 tune or not ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2015 | 10:27 AM
SACHD
|
6th Gear
Default 2005 FATBOY Stage1 tune or not ?

Hello all,

I just bought a stock 2005 fatboy FI, and have been reading that it might have come from Harley with the Stage1 tune already done. I would believe it on a CVO bike, but this one is not. My question is how do I tell?

Thanks Scott

Old 10-28-2015 | 10:40 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Angry

Originally Posted by SACHD
Hello all,

I just bought a stock 2005 fatboy FI, and have been reading that it might have come from Harley with the Stage1 tune already done. I would believe it on a CVO bike, but this one is not. My question is how do I tell?

Thanks Scott
They don't come from the factory with a stage 1 tune. A dealer wouldn't do it, unless a previous owner paid to have it done. The majority of people don't do a tune, unless they at least change to a performance air intake, and typically pipes. Also, most typical tunes increase the rev limiter.

So, IMHO...
- if you have the original air intake
- have the oem pipes
- have the oem rev limit..

I'm guessing you wouldn't have a tune.

So, why not make it your own:?
- add a nice air intake & good pipes
- if you dont want to spend for a Dyno tune, get the Vance & Hines tuner, and one of their canned maps.

Old 10-28-2015 | 11:05 AM
SACHD
|
6th Gear

Originally Posted by TriGeezer
They don't come from the factory with a stage 1 tune. A dealer wouldn't do it, unless a previous owner paid to have it done. The majority of people don't do a tune, unless they at least change to a performance air intake, and typically pipes. Also, most typical tunes increase the rev limiter.

So, IMHO...
- if you have the original air intake
- have the oem pipes
- have the oem rev limit..

I'm guessing you wouldn't have a tune.

So, why not make it your own:?
- add a nice air intake & good pipes
- if you dont want to spend for a Dyno tune, get the Vance & Hines tuner, and one of their canned maps.
That is what I plan to do is make it my own, but doing a google search for flashing the ecm, there are posts from 2005-2006 that Harley had done a stage one flash from the factory on the anniversary models.

Old 10-28-2015 | 11:16 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member

The 15th Anniversary model of the Fatboy (one with gold tank badge, not one with decal) came with the piston / cylinders for a 95". It used the same cam as the 88".

I know this because when I bought my '05 Fatboy, the dealer tried unloading the Anniversary model on me but I made them order a regular 88" version.