Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally know why...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015 | 09:20 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member

one thing you will find is Harley's are flexible, you can change things easily like seating position, handlebar position an looks and performance with tons of aftermarket support. Windshield an saddlebags are available for every model. I'm 5'8" an love my fatboy. Low seat height, low center of gravity...easy to maneuver comfortable. I prefer foot boards over pegs for comfort an with forward controls I think it's easier to keep your feet planted at speed. If you can ride a dyna go for it. I didn't care for the one I rode, if it were a switchback with boards an a diff seat an bars I prob could have made it work but I've wanted a fatboy since seeing terminator 2.

Old 10-26-2015 | 09:52 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member

A lot of good advice already. The reason being that there really aren't any bad choices, at least in the Dyna/Softail/Touring groups. Sportsters aren't bad either, but they are fairly crude compared to the big twin models, and they do use some cheaper parts to keep the prices down.

Having owned Sportsters, Dyna's and now a Softail, there are a few things you should know.

Dyna's are nice bikes. Actually, really nice bikes. If there is a downside, it's that they shake more than Softails due to their non-balanced motor and rubber engine mount. Also, cable driven throttle and some other "manual" features make it an up-close and personal sort of experience. These aren't negatives really, just a bit more raw. Than the Softail line-up. On the upside though, they can be made to handle really well with suspension upgrades. Overall, slightly lighter than Softails in general, and more flexible for making a hot-rod.

Softails are smoother and have a more refined feeling. You give up some ground clearance and have less flexibility for suspension mods, but they are really easy to ride and own. To me, it feels more substantial than the Dyna, but that might just be the smoothness of the suspension and balanced motor.

I suggest that you pick a model or two from each category based on how you like the look and overall appeal of the features. Then, learn about the extremes in each category. For example, the Breakout and the WideGlide have extended rake angles that aren't for everyone. The Slim and the Street Bob don't come with passenger accommodations. The Heritage and the Switchback are well equipped to travel right out of he box. These types of sub-categories will help you decide the style you really want. Then you can decide whether the up-close raw feel of a Dyna or the smooth-cruising Softail is your bike.

Good luck with the decision.

Old 10-26-2015 | 10:17 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member

I think the big question is what type of riding do you do the majority of the time? 2 up highway- might want to check into a road king or street glide. short rides around town in an out of city traffic- sportster. I like having my softail set up with a solo seat an quick attach pass pad with back rest for the GF. my v rod-all about speed.

Old 10-26-2015 | 11:33 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Buckmaster299
I think the sales guy that went with me on the test ride drove a springer. I'm not 100% on a fatboy, but after ridding one, I do have to say, I like em. LOL I'll keep test ridding till i am for sure of what I want.
I feel that your idea about test ridding till you are sure of what you want is the best way to go. After all, it's your butt and you'll also be the one paying for it.

Old 10-26-2015 | 11:57 PM
Nickatnyt
Road Warrior

I really liked my '13 Fatty, but I love my '16 Road King.

I would almost guarantee that 99% of the HD haters have never even rode one.

Old 10-27-2015 | 02:28 AM
Rocker B
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Buckmaster299
I do have a question for those of you that have managed to read this much into my post. Which of the softail models would you recommend to try next?
I have a Rocker C and a Breakout, love 'em both. I don't know what your looking to spend? but there are a lot of good deals on low mile Rockers out there!!

Old 10-27-2015 | 09:50 AM
Buckmaster299
|
Tourer

My cycle would be both weekend warrior and primary good weather ride to work till I change positions at work and get some better gear then it would be primary until snow and ice. I drive 100miles a day so comfort would come in and I think that's why I have opted out of the sportster category. I love the style of the wide glides and switchbacks but gotta test one to see if it would work. Love the heritage also. Reminds me of a beefier fatboy? If I had the funds, I would be looking at the road king, street glide, road glides but those r not in the budget for a few more years u less I stumble across one I just can't pass up.
I saw the fatboy s at the dealer and didn't know it had the 110 on it. I can only imagine the power to weight ratio on that lil machine. Lol. Tha KS for all suggestions. Definitely not set on one yet, but I'll find the one for me soon.

Old 10-27-2015 | 10:40 AM
oct1949
Club Member

If you want to do some touring and still want comfort for daily commutes, then don't overlook A Heritage.
I usually do 2 week long trips a yr and the rest of the time the wife and I putt around taking 2-3 hr long daily rides on ours when we can.

I've test rode several others since we bought ours in 07 ( IE -- RK's, St Glides,and Ultras), but for us our Heritage has always done everything we need a bike to do.

The Ergonomics is one of the best that MoCo makes in stock form, the mini apes and seat are so good that very few owners ever feel the need to change them out like some of the other bikes.

Many say It's the touring bike of the Softails and I agree 100%.

That said, some just don't like the spots and leather and because of that they overlook a great riding and handling bike,

We had ours for 8yrs now and have put 52K+ miles on it and We still love it. If we didn't there would be another bike in the garage.

A Heritage may not be your cup of tea, just saying, sit on one to feel how comfy they are and if you can, test ride one. For the money its a great all-around bike.
If you do, It might talk to you into taking it home..

Good luck in finding the right bike for you..

Old 10-27-2015 | 10:43 AM
Buckmaster299
|
Tourer

I just need to win the lottery and have 4 or 5 in the garage. Lol

Old 10-27-2015 | 10:46 AM
Buckmaster299
|
Tourer

Definitely plan on looking at a Heritage. To me the Heritage and Road King have that look that just draws me in. But I'll see about ride when I find a couple to test ride. :-)

Quick Reply: Finally know why...