Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New w/ TC88 questions....

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 11:50 AM
SaltyDog-1
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New w/ TC88 questions....

Yep, that's me... new!
Ha, well, new to the forum... just wanted to introduce myself.
Name's Walt, friends call me Salty. You'll learn about that later, I'm sure.

Currently, I'm riding a stock '06 Night Train, TC88, EFI, staggered short shots, 18" apes....

Reason for joining - Well, I've stalked this forum for quite some years, researching tips and tricks for past builds I've put together over the last 8 years. So far, I have to say, there's always been some great input without even being the one to ask directly... Thanks Guys!

So, this winter I'm turning my TC88 into a 98ci Beast, and, hopefully going to come out in the Spring blowing the doors off most, both in style and performance.
I already purchased a great set of 2012 103ci heads that only have 2000 miles on them, can you say ACR!
I really want to go gear drive cams, but I hear "run out" may be an issue?
I'm planning to use the Revolution 98in kit... local Harley Tech says the 103 heads bolt right on?
I have a lot of questions being this is my first EFI bike... until now, I've been all about the old Iron and carb. hardtails... getting old I guess!

Any input, ideas, tips or tricks, are all welcome... I'll save the questions for when their really needed.

Glad to be a part the gang!

Old 10-19-2015, 08:45 PM
olongapo1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Walt,

Welcome to the forums. You may be new to this site but apparently not new to Harley's. Sounds like you've turned a wrench or two.

My name is Bob. Retired from the US military and living in the Philippines. I have a small shop where I work on a lot of bikes from around the area. Not a business but rather a hobby which keeps me off the bar stool. I've had the opportunity to use most of the tuners on the market. My recommendation for your build would be Dynojet's Power Vision. Tuning your bike should be part of your build plan and not an afterthought. Dynojet has great tech support. Give them a call and discuss your pending project.

If you have any questions shoot me a mail at olongapo2@gmail.com

Old 10-19-2015, 09:05 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 429 Likes on 259 Posts

I did a 98CI upgrade to my TC88, a 2001 Road King. If I was to do it again, I would just do cams. Just my opinion, since my base gaskets ended up weeping. It did run a bit stronger, but, in my opinion not worth the money and effort. I really was careful installing everything; used the gasket kit that came with the upgrade kit. Guess I just messed something up; I can live with it, it's not bad, just pisses me off that I can see the "weep-of-oil".

Old 10-19-2015, 10:48 PM
SaltyDog-1
Novice

Thanks, Bob! I'll definitely keep in my contacts and look into the DynoJet. Appreciate you reaching out!
Sorry to hear about your weeping issue SoCal... I'll keep your issues in mind as well.
Thanks guys for welcoming me to the forum... good to know we've all got brothers somewhere.
Salty-

Old 10-20-2015, 12:14 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 129 Posts

What is your riding style like?

What are your performance goals?

Why are you buying parts without a thought out plan?

Old 10-20-2015, 01:14 AM
SaltyDog-1
Novice

No, actually my plan has been formulated for quite some time...
I'm a do it yourself kind of guy, cause when it breaks the person ridin' it needs to know how to fix it!
My ridin' is moderately aggressive with a sh*t-ton of respect for all concerned at any given moment. I'm a throttle junkie for real, but only when it's right does that idiot a**hole come out for an open straight or a few miles of some fun curves.
Plan- at LEAST 100hp/100tq...!
Revolution Performance 98in big bore -
Matching set of 2012 103in heads w/ACR (under 2k miles when they were replaced for upgrades...)
Fueling's 510 cams /equiv.
Obviously, I want to gear drive. I get mixed stories between the runout on the crank even being an issue for the TC88, (sometimes, I hear it's only the 96 and 103's).
Plus, that cams are better picked when doing the initial DynoTune. So, while I've done some research, I haven't been too worried about the decision... simply because, everything says any of the cams designed near the 510 will be decent, and allow me to save my money by not having to do much, if anything, around the bottom end.
I'm confident in my abilities, and don't let the fear of failure stop me.
Salty-

Old 10-20-2015, 01:15 AM
SaltyDog-1
Novice

Oh yeah.. and I much respect the question!