Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are your thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2015 | 09:44 PM
Freak Show
|
Seasoned HDF Member
Default What are your thoughts

I believe that everyone has a right to own their dream. But what if they own the bike and it's to big and you see them. Do you say something? I just saw a woman post that she bought a 2013 FatBoy Lo. All she had was a pic of the bike. When i looked at other pics of it, she was sitting on it but was on her tippy toes and the bars had high risers and her arms were extended all the way out.. You could see this was an accident about to happen. She told me that on her sportster she could only have one foot on the ground. People want what they want, but should they have it...Your thoughts..

Old 10-18-2015 | 10:12 PM
langwilliams
Elite HDF Member

a change in bars an seat an maybe shocks will get most bikes fitted to most riders. I have a 30" inseam an put a seat with thin padding an a 2" drop kit on my E glide to get my feet planted an then I lowered the stock bars as far down as I could to get the pressure off my bad shoulder an had a nice fitting bike after only spending $200. I ended up selling it because I didn't like the weight. I think the softail platform is the best for smaller people, that's why I went back to one after getting rid of the E glide.

Old 10-18-2015 | 10:14 PM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate

To each their own, she will probably ending up customizing it to fit her. We all start off with a blank canvas and make it our own with our own vision. The Fat Boy Lo is as low as you go.
My Lo looks nothing like the stock bike I bought. It is almost there, but who knows what I will change next...

Good on her for following her dreams...

Old 10-19-2015 | 02:18 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member

You should see some these tiny little Japanese women handle a big twin. Sexy as hell, but they usually get the shocks adjusted to go as low as they can go, get the lowest available seat and some of them still have to wear platform boots to reach the ground.
My arms are pretty well fully extended with my handlebar setup. Haven't crashed since I put them on in 2011 (knock on wood)...

Old 10-19-2015 | 05:52 AM
atrox88
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Like has been said to each their own. I've seen what you were talking about before. I have a friend whose wife is short and rides a Deluxe. Same thing. I've made a suggestion but she is more concerned about the look of the bike than about comfort or safety. Her choice.

Old 10-19-2015 | 08:55 AM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member

Well, some bikes don't even pretend to allow their riders to flat foot the ground when the bike is at rest.

I have seen numerous BMW motorcycles that put the rider so high that you would have to be 6' 4" or something like that to be able to flat foot the bike. And no, Germans aren't usually that tall either. Obviously the BMW designers didn't think being able to touch the ground with both feet was all that important.

Now me, I do think that it is important and I love my Fatboy because it is a powerful bike that nonetheless allows both of my feet to touch the ground solidly when the bike is at rest, with no adjustments to the bike as shipped from the factory. Kudos to Harley for remembering that people under 6 foot buy motorcycles too.

Old 10-20-2015 | 10:33 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member

If the rider is comfortable and can handle the bike at ALL times, I don't see a problem.

Old 10-20-2015 | 11:01 AM
Freak Show
|
Seasoned HDF Member

but can someone who is on their tippy toes really handle the weight of the bike when you have to come to a fast stop and have to put your feet down. I say good way to drop a bike or break a foot or worse.. when I get home i'll post a picture. I knew a girl that bought a deluxe and her arms were to short to turn the bars all the way and was on her tippy toes. she wrecked it a month later. I just see it as a safety thing, but I'm no one to be telling anyone not to buy their dream.

Old 10-20-2015 | 11:37 AM
SG_Jim
Road Master

I have seen some very small women handle very large bikes and make it look easy. She will learn too, so I would not say anything negative.

Old 10-20-2015 | 08:28 PM
Lou'sUltra
Extreme HDF Member

Saw a guy the other day on a Street Glide. He was literally on the tips of his toes. As long as they can handle the bike, I wouldn't worry about it.

Quick Reply: What are your thoughts