Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tank shift started- ideas for foot clutch

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 06:55 PM
saz
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tank shift started- ideas for foot clutch

So I have not had a hand shifted motorcycle in over 10 years, so this afternoon I found some scrap steel in the pile and got started. I decided to go with a tank shift as a jockey with 18" apes gets to be a pain in the butt with heavy traffic. So this is what I have so far, gotta final weld, thin out excess metal and thread the rod for the shift ****.

I'm still brainstorming the clutch assembly, so any ideas are welcome!

Attached Thumbnails Tank shift started- ideas for foot clutch-20151016_165329.jpg   Tank shift started- ideas for foot clutch-20151016_165335.jpg  
Old 10-16-2015, 07:40 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

Good Luck. I rode a jockey shift in the 70s and while it looks cool shifting, the foot clutch gave me fits. Never again.

Old 10-16-2015, 09:52 PM
tehan2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 5,585 Likes on 1,254 Posts

take the 40 minute ride south to Denver and pick up the clutch pedal and cable from labrolia.

Old 10-16-2015, 10:06 PM
Hocus-Pocus
Road Master
Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Foot clutch, hand shift bikes are cool however, their not my cup of tea. I suppose if you started riding with that set-up, you'd be comfortable with it. Not knocking this, but not for me.

Old 10-16-2015, 11:43 PM
saz
Cruiser

Originally Posted by tehan2
take the 40 minute ride south to Denver and pick up the clutch pedal and cable from labrolia.
That's where I am getting the cable from. Doing this on a tight budget, and just buying parts and bolting them on isn't any fun........

Old 10-17-2015, 09:37 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 82 Posts

I love a good project so I'm in to see how this turns out.

I don't have a suggestion but a question - are you going to use a rocker setup that will hold the clutch disengaged without your foot being on it like the old footboard setups, or are you going to use a simple foot lever that forces you to use your foot to keep the clutch disengaged? I'm wondering if it's even possible to fabricate an over center setup with forward controls like you have.

I'd have to think the latter type would be a bear to deal with, particularly in a hilly area where you might want to put your left foot down when stopped.

Old 10-17-2015, 10:36 AM
saz
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Joe_G
I love a good project so I'm in to see how this turns out.

I don't have a suggestion but a question - are you going to use a rocker setup that will hold the clutch disengaged without your foot being on it like the old footboard setups, or are you going to use a simple foot lever that forces you to use your foot to keep the clutch disengaged? I'm wondering if it's even possible to fabricate an over center setup with forward controls like you have.

I'd have to think the latter type would be a bear to deal with, particularly in a hilly area where you might want to put your left foot down when stopped.
Thanks Joe! No rocker setup, just a suicide clutch. When in a pinch and about to flop on the left side, you must be very familiar where the kill switch is located, just dump the clutch and hope she dies, or hang on for the ride......

In all honesty, it makes you a very aware rider as you are anticipating everything.

Old 10-17-2015, 11:07 AM
tehan2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 5,585 Likes on 1,254 Posts

Originally Posted by saz
That's where I am getting the cable from. Doing this on a tight budget, and just buying parts and bolting them on isn't any fun........
my fatboy w/ floorboard set up is a little different than your forward controls, but if you want some dimension or close up pics, let me know.

It looks like you can weld, and the piece doesn't look that difficult/complex to make

Old 10-17-2015, 04:44 PM
saz
Cruiser

Originally Posted by tehan2
my fatboy w/ floorboard set up is a little different than your forward controls, but if you want some dimension or close up pics, let me know.

It looks like you can weld, and the piece doesn't look that difficult/complex to make
Absolutely! I would like to see a closeup showing the relation between the end of teh cable to the shifting (now clutch pull) shaft. Specifically the distance between eyelets, and the approximate distance between the center of the shifting shaft and the heim joint. Thanks!!!!!

Old 10-18-2015, 08:32 AM
Hey Man
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,209 Likes on 2,886 Posts

There's nothin' like jammin' with a jockey through the city.

Quick Reply: Tank shift started- ideas for foot clutch