Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tank shift started- ideas for foot clutch

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 09:29 AM
saz
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hey Man
There's nothin' like jammin' with a jockey through the city.

Chopper riding through NYC - YouTube
Yeah!!! I miss that $hit! I haven't been on a jockey bike in over 10 years. After an accident last year I almost lost my leg but I'm back up and not pulling back anymore. After 5 deployments and almost getting killed at home by some jackhole running a stopsign, you realize life is too short to hold back.

Anyways, I have to mess with the tank shifter mount (didnt figure the motor mount would have that much flex to it) and finish up the clutch perch today. Ill post up some pics when I'm done. Now yall have to be nice, I am by no means a master fabricator, but Ill make it work.

Old 10-18-2015, 10:01 PM
saz
Cruiser

Well, it is together and I took it for a spin earlier tonight. It isn't the prettiest thing in the world, but it works really well. The tank shifter was just some 1/2" bar stock and 1/8" plate I had laying around. It is mounted directly to the upper motor mount via a 5/16" stud where the horn used to be. I tried 3 different things with the foot clutch, and I couldn't get the geometry right, or I didnt have the right materials on hand etc..... I was trying to pull towards the back of the bike, and just didn't work out. Did I mention that I suck as a fabricator? Finally I found some threaded rod, made a little bracket to hold the cable and voila! Like I said, it aint pretty, but it works.

The following users liked this post:
FUJILICIOUS (02-24-2021)
Old 10-19-2015, 06:51 PM
tehan2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 5,585 Likes on 1,254 Posts

looks great. I just saw your post. I'll take some pictures in the morning when the sun's out

Old 10-19-2015, 08:02 PM
saz
Cruiser

Ok, so I now have about 150 miles on this setup one thing is very obvious- I am an IDIOT for not doing this a long time ago!!!! I forgot how much fun it makes riding the bike! But seriously I need to make a longer toe peg for the clutch pedal. I have to tweak my foot so far in it starts wearing on my knee. Other than that, rock solid so far!

Old 10-19-2015, 08:05 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

great job man!!!.. I also ride with foot clutch and hand shifter.. although my setup is different in the sense that I ride with mid controls.. I was about to suggest you install a Rekluse Auto Clutch... but I see you on a budget.. :-)

question.. the parts you used.. are they rust resistant?.. where I live I must use stainless parts, otherwise they will rust and fail quickly... if I cannot find stainless, then I apply a heavy coat of epoxy paint.. it does the trick and hides the parts, the black paint makes the assembly less noticeable..

Anyway.... here is my thread about my clutch, mid controls and shifter arrangement:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...-controls.html

Last edited by joebotics; 10-19-2015 at 08:11 PM.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:58 AM
saz
Cruiser

Thanks man! The metal is all mild steel, but there isnt much chance for rusting right now but after a week or so I am going to pull them all off and powdercoat. Just trying to make sure the design is solid and no changes are needed first. I'd hate to spend the $$$ on powder, just to strip it all off to weld etc....

Old 10-20-2015, 02:20 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 82 Posts

Joebiotics, that centrifugal clutch you have is awesome tech! Any downside to it?

Saz you might want to look into that... with the centri you can look cool when you want, but it'll let you put both feet on the ground when you need to.

https://rekluse.com/faq/

Old 10-20-2015, 06:43 PM
joebotics
Road Warrior
Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts

Yeah Joe_G .. I wanted to suggest the Rekluse centrifugal clutch but I know that saz is on a budget.. and well. .the clutch itself is about $800 .. :-(
There is no downside to the clutch.. in fact.. the only reason I went with foot clutch / hand shifter is because REkluse makes this clutch..

Old 10-21-2015, 02:13 AM
Da-Rza 21
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

rekluse clutches are awesome!i have them on both my ktm 350 and my husky fe 501..you can do clutch less up shifts and come to a stop with engaging clutch pull...amazing how it puts power down to the ground