Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster to Springer

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2015 | 08:48 PM
the blob
Road Warrior

Consider putting baffles in those pipes if their to too loud, to me I love the old school looks and sound of drags😄

Old 10-19-2015 | 02:19 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by tunaman4u2
So we needed new risers & luckily found a like new set for $150 VERY hard to find I guess. Got a free seat ! A friend has the same springer & changed out his seat due to back surgery, grabbed that. New straight bars coming in for $60. Will need some new pipes.

Went through the engine... I'm amazed at how poorly some people keep their bikes. Not well cared for but we'll clean it up.

I still dont want to sell my Sporty!! People can knock that bike all they want, its a great ride for city \ suburb \ commuting... but hey cant turn down a deal right?
Then keep your Sporty. Oddly enough, I had an '05 883 for a few years besides having my Springer. I kept it in my garage for a friend to ride when she came to visit. When she stopped coming over to visit, then I used to take it though the corners and it was a blast. Only had one problem though, for my size, I am just too big for an 883 and it didn't feel all that comfy for me. I knew that I probably wouldn't ride it much so I sold it.

Old 10-19-2015 | 02:24 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by the blob
Consider putting baffles in those pipes if their to too loud, to me I love the old school looks and sound of drags😄
I agree, and you can get baffles super cheap on eBay. I bought some to tone down my drag pipes.

By the way baffles or lollipop (thumbscrews) will add back a lot of power that drag pipes steal. Check out my thread on the subject.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...confirmed.html

Old 10-19-2015 | 02:35 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

An 883 for the last two years? About time you stepped up to the plate.

Old 10-19-2015 | 02:49 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tampa Fatboy
An 883 for the last two years? About time you stepped up to the plate.
While my buddies would agree with you (they call sportys dirt bikes), and I've never driven one, I bet that sporty feels pretty, well, sporty.

It weighs 85 lbs less and has 10 less HP than the evo springer from a quick Google search. I'll bet it feels a lot more nimble than those numbers would indicate.

I still personally bought a springer and wouldn't buy a sporty but in the op's defense I can understand why he might like it.

Old 10-19-2015 | 03:13 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Joe_G
While my buddies would agree with you (they call sportys dirt bikes), and I've never driven one, I bet that sporty feels pretty, well, sporty.

It weighs 85 lbs less and has 10 less HP than the evo springer from a quick Google search. I'll bet it feels a lot more nimble than those numbers would indicate.

I still personally bought a springer and wouldn't buy a sporty but in the op's defense I can understand why he might like it.
I agree, brother. I do hope the OP doesn't judge my input as negative, wasn't meant to be.

Old 10-19-2015 | 03:24 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Tampa Fatboy
I agree, brother. I do hope the OP doesn't judge my input as negative, wasn't meant to be.
Totally with you. And while I bet the sporty is a great bike, to me, nothing is like an Evo big twin and a springer is the top of the line in my book.

There's a ton of faster/more comfortable/better mileage/more practical bikes.

But I don't ride my Harley for any of those things. Hard to describe but nothing beats the feel and sound of a big twin.

I'm wondering if the OP feels that way yet.......

Old 10-19-2015 | 06:08 PM
tunaman4u2
|
Cruiser

Thanks for all the tips guys. No offense taken. Early on I had people calling it a Skirtster but after I rode it for the last 2 years I loved it & didnt care.

Quick question.... for a windshield. Does it need to be Springer model year specific?

Old 10-19-2015 | 06:12 PM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by tunaman4u2
Thanks for all the tips guys. No offense taken. Early on I had people calling it a Skirtster but after I rode it for the last 2 years I loved it & didnt care.

Quick question.... for a windshield. Does it need to be Springer model year specific?
Not model year specific. You can still get the mount from HD new, and the shields new from HD as well.

I bought the mount new as it comes with new mounting bushings (that tend to get torn up), new bolts and the proper throttle cable bracket (there are a few based on different models, the instructions are confusing but I figured them out). You want to make sure and use the right one as you don't want your throttle cables getting stuck in the fork travel limit stop.

I bought a used shield from eBay, actually, I bought a couple, a short one and a tall one. I bought a replacement shield only from Clearview Shields, a forum sponsor with a 10% discount. Their shields are thicker and nicer than HD's in my opinion and they do a recurve on the top which directs wind over your head.

Last edited by Joe_G; 10-20-2015 at 05:22 AM.
Old 10-19-2015 | 06:56 PM
tunaman4u2
|
Cruiser

Thanks, I just want one tall one when I need it for highway, otherwise its going off, it will be rarely used

Quick Reply: Sportster to Springer