Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fatboy Lo Turn Signal/Brake Light Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 10:10 PM
Kailua Knight
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fatboy Lo Turn Signal/Brake Light Issue

Went out on an afternoon ride and noticed that my turn signals were not coming on in the front and the rear when engaging left or right switches. My buddy who was with me also noticed that my brake lights were not coming on as well. When I park my bike and walk away all lights front and rear blink when alarm is arming. Just to humor myself I moved by bike to see if front and rear turn signals would blink and sure enough they did.... So I went to check DTC's and found an error code b1126. I did no mods of any kind to the lights. My question is, could it be a blown fuse?

Old 10-13-2015, 12:24 AM
Kailua Knight
Intermediate

Ok...after searching this forum and the entire internet for an answer here is what I found:

1. There have been issues with Harley's and rear turn signal/brake light harness getting loose and hanging low enough for the rear tire to chew up protective sleeve until wires are exposed, touching and eventually grounding out.

2. DTC 1126 in my case was a blown fuse caused by exposed wires touching and grounding out (causing the fuse to blow).

I took off my seat and looked for the wiring harness that connected to rear brake light and turn signals and found the wires frayed and touching... I carefully separated the wires and check the Accessory fuse and found that it was blown. Replaced the fuse with a spare that was in the fuse box and turn on the signals and brakes and BOOYAH! Fixed... I am going to remove rear fender and properly secure harness, replace damage wires to prevent this from happening again... I hope this helps anyone with this similar problem... Aloha!

Last edited by Kailua Knight; 10-13-2015 at 12:26 AM. Reason: Bad grammar...lol
Old 10-13-2015, 08:29 AM
tas_todd
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 791 Likes on 384 Posts

Well done sir! Thanks for the update. I'm sure it'll help someone out.

Old 10-15-2015, 11:11 PM
Kailua Knight
Intermediate

I removed the fender only to find the harness was held in place by protective tubing that was fastened by adhesive. The adhesive failed and peeled off towards the rear of the fender causing the harness to touch the rear tire and rub through tubing exposing raw wire which frayed and touched causing the short. Really disappointed in the quality and workmanship that went into this design by Harley... I hope this helps anyone who may have this problem.

Exposed wires underneath rear fender...

Loose harness rubbed against rear tire and worn through protective tubing...

Cut damaged wires and spliced in 3" extensions with heat shrink tubing.