Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultimate Backrest Seat for Fatboy

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 05:28 PM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member
Received 691 Likes on 381 Posts
Default Ultimate Backrest Seat for Fatboy

Well, I finally got the Ultimate Backrest Seat on my Fatboy and went for a long test ride. Here are some comments and pictures.

1. Fitment. Fair. With a little bit of effort, it goes on the bike just like the stock seat. Not quite as easily, but it goes. The seat will NOT work with the stock passenger seat using the backrest. Right now I am using the bib to replace the passenger seat. I have ordered the Ultimate matching passenger seat which does work with this seat.

2. The Backrest. For those who are unfamiliar with the Ultimate backrest seat, the backrest is adjustable as to whether it leans forward or rearward to essentially any extent that you would want. It is NOT height adjustable. Unless you are very big or very small, given the generous size of the backrest pad, I do not think that this is going to be a problem for most riders. But note that it is NOT height adjustable if that matters to you.

The backrest very nicely swings down for rider and passenger dismounting. Nice little touch.

It is no exaggeration to say that the backrest totally changes the feel of sitting on the bike -- for the better! I have lower back pain (nothing serious, but annoying -- at times Ibuprofen is my friend) and let me tell you, that backrest is nice to have. Now if only I could get something like this for my truck.

3. The seat. The seat is somewhat similar to the stock seat in that as far as I can tell it does not change the height at which the rider sits in the seat. It is very comfortable and I can tell that it seems to be molding to my body. Since I have only had it for a day, I really can't say a whole lot more at this point.

Here are some pics:

And folded down:

Old 10-09-2015, 05:43 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator
Received 3,390 Likes on 1,561 Posts

I ordered one Wednesday and received it yesterday so that's a big plus. But the tab that fits over the fender bolts was bent and will not sit flat on the fender. I called them today and they are sending a replacement tab.
However, there's no way I could fit the seat on the bike. The tech I spoke to said it's a tight fit and I should move the fender bib a little and it will go on. I'm guessing I don't have enough brute strength to push the flat tab under the tank. A friend is going to help but until I get the new clamp that goes over the 2 fender screws I have to wait.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:01 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator

Ok, Ultimate seat update. After using pliers and struggling to realign the fixing bracket I finally straightened it out enough to make it fit the bike. OMG what a tough job for this weakling lady by herself. Yes the tank bib needs to be untucked and with much heaving and pushing the seat goes on. Then holding the rear of the seat down over the screws without dropping one and starting again was a bit of a nightmare, only had to start over 3 times. I'm sweating as my Florida garage is about 90 degrees tonight.

It's looking nice, so far just sitting on it it lifts me a little higher which is good because my FB Lo is more than low enough for my long legs. Can't wait to ride tomorrow, forecast 85 and sunny.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:09 PM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by uklauren
Ok, Ultimate seat update. After using pliers and struggling to realign the fixing bracket I finally straightened it out enough to make it fit the bike. OMG what a tough job for this weakling lady by herself. Yes the tank bib needs to be untucked and with much heaving and pushing the seat goes on. Then holding the rear of the seat down over the screws without dropping one and starting again was a bit of a nightmare, only had to start over 3 times. I'm sweating as my Florida garage is about 90 degrees tonight.

My installation experience was similar to yours. You have to mess with the bolts a bit to get them aligned, through the bib and then get purchase with the screws. But we did it!

Old 10-09-2015, 07:10 PM
HDmikie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts

It's looking nice, so far just sitting on it it lifts me a little higher which is good because my FB Lo is more than low enough for my long legs. Can't wait to ride tomorrow, forecast 85 and sunny.
Long legs.....now I'm really looking forward to meeting you in Ocala. Just kidding. Glad you found comfort with the backrest.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:33 PM
uklauren
Florida Crew Moderator

Originally Posted by HDmikie
Long legs.....now I'm really looking forward to meeting you in Ocala. Just kidding. Glad you found comfort with the backrest.

They are long, 31" inseam and I'm only 5'6".

Are you gonna be at the Fl Crew Rally? Cool.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:59 PM
HDmikie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 88 Posts

They are long, 31" inseam and I'm only 5'6".

Are you gonna be at the Fl Crew Rally? Cool.
Well, I'll be heading down on 10-20-15. Not sure if the transport guys will have my bike down there in time. May have to spend a few nights at Super 8. I sure am looking forward to warm weather and meeting you fine folks.

Old 10-10-2015, 05:21 PM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member

I went for my first long ride (approx 95 miles) with the Ultimate backrest seat today. Wow, it really makes a positive difference to have that backrest! I am in the middle of one of my lower back pain episodes, and this backrest made the difference between constant pain and a relaxing ride. I am definitely keeping the seat.

Other observations: as far as I could tell the Ultimate seat did not change my height above ground to any noticeable degree. It MAY be a tad higher, but if it is it is 'way less than an inch.

The seat itself is very comfortable. The backrest is very adjustable for forward/backward lean. Other users have said that the seat "breaks in" over time to fit one's body better. We'll see.

Overall I am pleased with the seat and I am going to keep it. (They have a 14 day return policy.) It looks great on the bike and feels even better than it looks.

Old 10-10-2015, 05:38 PM
RandyL
Road Captain
Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

I tried a ultimate, had no mounting problems at all, mounted up perfect, just like it was OEM.
But, the bad part, every time I road, it got less comfortable. First ride I thought great seat. After about 10 days I finally had to send it back, it really was unbearable.
Hopefully you will have better luck with the comfort than I did.

Old 10-11-2015, 03:36 PM
Redlegvzv
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by RandyL
I tried a ultimate, had no mounting problems at all, mounted up perfect, just like it was OEM.
But, the bad part, every time I road, it got less comfortable. First ride I thought great seat. After about 10 days I finally had to send it back, it really was unbearable.
Hopefully you will have better luck with the comfort than I did.
Which goes to show that a motorcycle seat is a very individual thing.

I have done two pretty long rides and several short ones with the Ultimate seat, and I am really loving it. The back support is great, and I can flat-foot the bike great with this seat. It really is very very comfortable for me.

My bike today in Huntington Beach, CA which is Surf City USA:

Quick Reply: Ultimate Backrest Seat for Fatboy