Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Original oil or Syntheic

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 10:40 AM
Crazy Biker
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Original oil or Syntheic

Synthetic oil can with higher temperatures, and in an air cooled motor that's not a wasted of money.

Old 05-05-2007, 10:44 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

ORIGINAL: AceHog

Are synthetic oils better, yes. Is it worth it, no.
I agree 100%. Sure, somebody is gonna come on here and say that he rides harder than Evel Knievel and in heats hotter than hell in July, so he need synthetic oil. However, in my experience it is not needed. I have 64k miles on my Road King using dino. It runs like new, doesn't smoke and doesn't use oil. I've never used synthetic in any vehicle and have never had an oil related failure. I've got some old vehicles and none are oil burners.....I'd like to hear from someone who wore out a properly maintained Harley engine due to the poor lubrication qualities of using dino oil.

Old 05-05-2007, 12:33 PM
BarryN
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been using full syntheticallthrough,i.e. tranny and primaryon my lowrider that now has 16,000 miles on it without any problem and going to do the same with my Softail when I go in again for service. My HD tech say he likes to see people use the regular oil for about 2,000 plus miles to give everything a chance to break in and then switch.

Have read alot of stuff about oil and synthetic and from what I have read, synthetic will not break down as fast as regular oil. Just my .02 cents.

Old 05-05-2007, 04:43 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

The argument is pretty much correct on both sides. Regular oil, changed at proper intervals, for that aprticular brand of oil, ain't ever cause an oil-related failure. OTOH, if you regularly ride in hot conditions (not likely in northern areas) where it'll start hittin' the 90 - 110 F mark in April through October, then the syn might be an advantage.

Most regular oils will drop in viscosity from a 20w-50 to a 10w-40 in less than 1000 miles. A good syn will probably maintain its 20w-50 rating all the way to the 2500 mile mark. A lesser quality syn will still maintain the original viscositylonger than a regular oil. These can be important, especially under less than optimal conditions. And these aren't assumptions; I've seen the UOAs on hundreds of samples.

Bottom line is if you change your oil at or before 2500 miles, and don't get stuck in traffic mid-summer, or do parades. either oil will do just fine, as long as your choice is a quality one. Get stuck in taffic, activate the heat management system on these Twinkie motors, and you've probably significantly damagedthe oil's ability to properly lubricate. Change it at the first opportunity. Common sense, whether it's synthetic or regular oil.

A final note is that the motors I've seen the innards of are nearly always cleaner when they were used with synthetic oil. That normally equates to less wear, but not always.

Old 05-06-2007, 01:03 AM
nikonf8
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

On this old subject brought to light again, I find it funny that when Harley had no syn oil they did not recommend it now that they have one its just a great product. I my self say you can have it I do not like it. In my opinion changing the oil is the cheapest maintenance you have> I change my oil and filter every thousand miles tranny and primary ever 2500. Ill use the red line in my tranny and syn in the primary but the engine gets regular 20-50. Even if you put 10,000 miles a year on your bike and change it every thousand miles what's a couple of hundred dollars for the season. If you decide to use syn i would not recommend it for at least 3000 miles and i do not agree with leaving the first oil change to 1000 miles I would change it at 50 to 100 miles and when you do take a look at the magnet on the oil plug and you will know why. One other thing you should know Harley and every car dealer out there has a time in mind for your ride to be ready for a new one and there maintenance schedule is drafted up with that in mind like a car manufacture thinks you should have to buy a new one in five years hum just about the time most people pay them off. I would cut what ever recommendations they make for an oil change in half at the least My two cents on this subject

Old 05-06-2007, 01:32 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,296 Likes on 483 Posts

ORIGINAL: nikonf8

On this old subject brought to light again, I find it funny that when Harley had no syn oil they did not recommend it now that they have one its just a great product. I my self say you can have it I do not like it. In my opinion changing the oil is the cheapest maintenance you have> I change my oil and filter every thousand miles tranny and primary ever 2500. Ill use the red line in my tranny and syn in the primary but the engine gets regular 20-50. Even if you put 10,000 miles a year on your bike and change it every thousand miles what's a couple of hundred dollars for the season. If you decide to use syn i would not recommend it for at least 3000 miles and i do not agree with leaving the first oil change to 1000 miles I would change it at 50 to 100 miles and when you do take a look at the magnet on the oil plug and you will know why. One other thing you should know Harley and every car dealer out there has a time in mind for your ride to be ready for a new one and there maintenance schedule is drafted up with that in mind like a car manufacture thinks you should have to buy a new one in five years hum just about the time most people pay them off. I would cut what ever recommendations they make for an oil change in half at the least My two cents on this subject
Every thousand miles? Yer downright ****-retentive!

Old 05-06-2007, 01:44 AM
nikonf8
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Cheapest maintenance money can buy, money well spent on the most important maintenance of your 20,000 dollar investment. I spend that kind of money on coffee in a week people spend more money to kill them self's smoking cigarettes in a week thats taking it ****

Old 05-06-2007, 04:35 PM
softail2005
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: pococj

The argument is pretty much correct on both sides. Regular oil, changed at proper intervals, for that aprticular brand of oil, ain't ever cause an oil-related failure. OTOH, if you regularly ride in hot conditions (not likely in northern areas) where it'll start hittin' the 90 - 110 F mark in April through October, then the syn might be an advantage.

Most regular oils will drop in viscosity from a 20w-50 to a 10w-40 in less than 1000 miles. A good syn will probably maintain its 20w-50 rating all the way to the 2500 mile mark. A lesser quality syn will still maintain the original viscositylonger than a regular oil. These can be important, especially under less than optimal conditions. And these aren't assumptions; I've seen the UOAs on hundreds of samples.

Bottom line is if you change your oil at or before 2500 miles, and don't get stuck in traffic mid-summer, or do parades. either oil will do just fine, as long as your choice is a quality one. Get stuck in taffic, activate the heat management system on these Twinkie motors, and you've probably significantly damagedthe oil's ability to properly lubricate. Change it at the first opportunity. Common sense, whether it's synthetic or regular oil.

A final note is that the motors I've seen the innards of are nearly always cleaner when they were used with synthetic oil. That normally equates to less wear, but not always.

Good solid advice. Regular Harley oil changed at the 2-2.5K point works fine unless you are in a very hot climate, do parades, rush hour traffice in LA, etc.

If you look at the cost, Harley oil isn't cheap from the dealer. Switching to Amzoil and changing at 5K instead of 2.5K can bring the cost of the syn down to a more reasonable level.
I suppose if you are going to keep the bike for 100K the syn thing might make more sense too.
Kind of an opinion thing I guess, bike works fine either way.

Old 05-06-2007, 10:51 PM
Road_Clam
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

The syn vs. mineral debate has got to be the #1 argued thread in any combustion engine forum. I think the key factor one should consider when pondering swapping over to syn. is does my bike reallyneed it? Under normal driving the answer is no. BUT if you are a hardcore milage rider, or you live in the deep south where temps are always in the 80's and 90's, or you live in thecolder areas where you are riding in temps in the 40'sor you have a heavily modded bike, now you need to consider syn.I am thinking of swapping simply because of I frequently commute to work when the temps are only inthe low 40's, and I have a 30 min ride on the highway.

Old 05-07-2007, 07:37 PM
heavypic
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Isn't the key getting the dirt out?? I'm guessing that cleaner dino is better than dirtier syn. I read on another threadthat the change intervals are somewhat overkill even for the dino oil.

On my last change for example, the motor oil was ready for change at 5K...the primary still looked and felt good (clean enough with lots of lubricity)...I'm thinking the primary could be changed at 8K intervals if needed and the tranny at 10-12...unless you're redlining all the time.

Going forward...I'm planning to change the motor and primary at 5K and the tranny at 10K intervals...I think more than that is overkill for the average rider in average conditions.

Criticisms welcomed...I'm here to learn...

Quick Reply: Original oil or Syntheic