Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing risers...

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 10:18 PM
kato1964
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing risers...

Purchased some 4 1/2" pullback risers. I'm hoping they'll help the problems I'm experiencing with the lower back, riding with the stocksetup on my Fat Boy. It is supposed to pour rain all day tomorrow, and I have a ride planned with some guys from work on Sunday, so I'm hoping to get them installed tomorrow. I've read several threads ref installing risers, and everyone claims it is quick & simple. I refer to the maintenance manual I have, and they talk about putting it up on a lift (which I have, if necessary), removing mirrors, brake/throttle housings, etc. Is all this necessary? I figured it would simply be a matter of covering the fuel tank with a thick quilt, removing the riser cover, pulling back the handlebars (gently, to the limit of the cables...) removing the bolts from underneath the stock risers, putting in the new risers, lining up the handlebars again, reinstalling the riser cap, and voila...I'm off to the races. I'm I completely off base here? Is there a requirement to put the bike up on a lift to do this change? Is this major surgery? I keep reading how easy it is. I certainly hope so. I want to get this done tomorrow, if at all possible, and be ready to ride for Sunday morning. (Which according to the local forecast, is supposed to be quite nice...) I've checked the tech section trying to find "instructions" on how it is done, but if they're there, I'm missing them. Can anyone either walk me through this, point me toward the right tech thread, or just confirm if my thoughts on how to do this are correct? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks folks...

Old 05-04-2007, 10:40 PM
monkey3
Intermediate
Default RE: Installing risers...

Kato it is very simple. As yu said protect the tank to lay the bars on.
Before you take off the old bars loosen the bolts coming up thru
the triple trees holding the risers on but don't remove until you take out the handlebars.
Same thing going back, leave the riser bolts loose in the new risers until you get the bars in then tighten everything. Should take less than an hour.

Old 05-04-2007, 11:09 PM
Slick02
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did mine this afternoon. I loosened the riser bolts. Loosened and removed the bar bolts and laid the bar gently on the covered tank. Removed the risers and bushings and reversed the whole process. Watch your wires and cables. My front brake is the only questionable one and its kinda tight but it seems to be ok for now.

Now the 5 minute job installing the luggage rack turned into a nightmare and I still dont have it done yet I had to take the sissybar to the dealer because I started rounding out the 4 torque screws because they are stuck with locktight and I didnt want to make a bad deal worse.

Old 05-04-2007, 11:09 PM
Hammer02
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep...just put pullbacks on my wife's Sportster to bring the drag bars a little closer to her. It took about 15 minutes.

Old 05-05-2007, 05:22 AM
mfmjos
Novice

Do you have a part number for that riser kit? How much difference is it than stock? If my bars were about an inch and half closer I'd be perfect.

Old 05-07-2007, 01:46 AM
CyclChyk
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the 6 1/2 in pullback risers - its stock NightTrain drags on my 883 Sporty - the NightTrain came with 6 inch straight risers. The pull backs gave me just enough room that I'm not streached out and its very comfy now.

http://www.dragspecialties.com/fatbook/15/268/3870509

Old 05-08-2007, 03:11 PM
jchildress21
Cruiser

If it takes more than 30 minutes, it's because you stopped to drink a beer! Cover your tank, loosen the riser bolts under the top tree, loosen the 4 bolts on your top clamp. Remove bars, riser. Install riser, bar. Go ride. It really is that simple.

Old 05-08-2007, 11:49 PM
HDSilvrStreak
Advanced

I'm new to the forums and definitely new to doing anything on a bike myself. However, having read a few threads here there a few things I would like to do. This sounds like something I need. I'm only about 5'7" and ride an '04 Heritage. I had been to the dealer a few weeks ago asking about new handlebars. I feel like a reach just a tad too far. I don't really notice it unless I'm on the bike for over 2 hours. Then I start to feel it in my shoulder. What I was thinking was that I would like the bars to be just a little bit closer. I already loosened the main clamp and "rolled them back", but it wasn't quite enough.

Is a new riser the answer I'm looking for? If so, can someone point me in the correct direction as far as part numbers go? I think it is something I could do myself, just not sure what to order.

TIA - HDSS.

P.S. - Of course the dealer told me not to do this type of work myself because you might have to replace the cables, etc. From what I've read above, I'm assuming that to not be true?

Old 05-09-2007, 12:22 AM
Hammer02
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A small pullback would most likely not require longer cables.

There is usually some slack in the existing cables albeit not much.

As for risers...you can find them at numerous places.

I'd try here first. A 2 inch pull back is a good place to start.

http://www.dragspecialties.com/fatbook/15/268