Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Mods Thread - 2016 Softail Slim S

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 06:13 PM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,364 Likes on 987 Posts

I know you dont want to "relocate" the rear turnsignals, so this may/may not be
an option for you. I have a pillion pad on the fender that my larger bags sit
on and I've added some tabs to the blackline/slim QD sissybar to allow the mounting
of the HD arerorack. Since the rack is attached to the sissybar, the whole mess
comes off as once piece in 5 seconds. Just presenting some options...

hope this helps,

T.

Old 01-22-2016, 09:36 PM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

I like that set up WKNDS. Wish I had gone that route.
Wachuco, consider a tank lift and a coil relocatin. Makes cleaning a whoe lot simpler.
And a 140 mi is so dooable on the stock seat. I can think of worser seats than that LOL

Old 01-28-2016, 12:53 AM
xIceHoundx
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wachuko
Quick update. Wiring for the LED lights done. I connected them inside the headlight bucket to the low beam. They go off if I switch to high-beam.

Luggage rack modified and now it fits without having to relocate the lights or tag mount. Great!

And it locks without issues...

Done...

And now some install fluid to celebrate...

Hey mate you happen to have the templates still around from that grind work you did on the solo rack? I've got a Slim S as well and am really wanting to throw a solo rack on it but like yourself I don't want to relocate the plate or change the stock setup of the tail lights either. What you did looks awesome and I'd love to do the same for mine.

Old 01-28-2016, 08:27 AM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by xIceHoundx
Hey mate you happen to have the templates still around from that grind work you did on the solo rack? I've got a Slim S as well and am really wanting to throw a solo rack on it but like yourself I don't want to relocate the plate or change the stock setup of the tail lights either. What you did looks awesome and I'd love to do the same for mine.
I do not. But easy enough to take the rack out and make another one. Will do so over the weekend and share a .pdf on it...

Old 01-28-2016, 08:56 AM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member

hummmm.... Stop it! I do not want to buy more parts!!

I might built a larger platform that can be bolted down on the rack to make it easier to mount the luggage... but that is it.

As much as I like that sissybar... I don't think that I will be adding one... I don't want to buy more parts!

Originally Posted by WKNDS
I know you dont want to "relocate" the rear turnsignals, so this may/may not be
an option for you. I have a pillion pad on the fender that my larger bags sit
on and I've added some tabs to the blackline/slim QD sissybar to allow the mounting
of the HD arerorack. Since the rack is attached to the sissybar, the whole mess
comes off as once piece in 5 seconds. Just presenting some options...

hope this helps,

T.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:03 AM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Smile

Originally Posted by splattttttt
I like that set up WKNDS. Wish I had gone that route.
Wachuco, consider a tank lift and a coil relocatin. Makes cleaning a whoe lot simpler.
And a 140 mi is so dooable on the stock seat. I can think of worser seats than that LOL
I was really surprise on the seat and how it worked for the trip... I really did not wanted to spend the $$ on a new seat at the last-minute...

I am really trying to not make any additional modifications to the bike... I did the coil relocation on the 48... but I am trying to leave this one alone.

I will do the small mods just for the comfort on longer trips... that is it. That is why I try to not read all the threads on mods... all those are very tempting...

I even sold the HD springer seat I had from the 48... that one was not easy to let it go... I was looking forward to seeing how it would look in my bike. But the lack of availability of the mounting hardware made the decision to sell it an easy one.

My main focus these days is finishing the car projects that I have... enough procrastinating with those. The bike runs great, I just need to clean it and that is it!

Old 01-28-2016, 09:49 AM
Sticks24
Road Warrior
Received 382 Likes on 191 Posts

Curious why so many are trying so hard to make up their own rack, when I think the Motherwell rack suits the bike perfectly. Just curious.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:54 AM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sticks24
Curious why so many are trying so hard to make up their own rack, when I think the Motherwell rack suits the bike perfectly. Just curious.
That rack looks great on the bike, but I question its usefulness when really loading the bike... the weight is on the fender... versus the one from HD that is supported on the side brackets.

So yeah, for looks.. great... for actual use, I would not trust it simply due to the damage that the fender could suffer.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:59 AM
Sticks24
Road Warrior
Received 382 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by wachuko
That rack looks great on the bike, but I question its usefulness when really loading the bike... the weight is on the fender... versus the one from HD that is supported on the side brackets.

So yeah, for looks.. great... for actual use, I would not trust it simply due to the damage that the fender could suffer.
Well the fender was designed to carry a passenger, was it not? Are you more worried about the small pressure points where the rack touches the fender. For long trips I have my FJR1300, so I don't really need the slim to be a pack horse. Would just like to tie the odd purchase down.

Old 01-28-2016, 10:10 AM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Sticks24
...Are you more worried about the small pressure points where the rack touches the fender...
Correct. That was my worry with that rack. I am down to just one bike... so it is my do-it-all...

Quick Reply: My Mods Thread - 2016 Softail Slim S