Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time to change the oil?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 12:59 PM
TIMHD777
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Time to change the oil?

I have committed bike abuse I know! I have only put around 3000 miles on my Heritage in 18 months. It has HD full synthetic oil in it. I am wondering if I should change it because of time or would I be throwing away perfectly good oil away? Thanks for your input.

Old 09-28-2015, 02:42 PM
Staggie
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't consider it bike abuse. I change my oil in my bike at 5K or at the start of each season. Usually I'll ride about 5K a year here. If you live in a colder area where you aren't riding in the winter, I'd prob change it at the start of next season if you're putting the bike away soon. If it's an area like where I lived years ago (Vegas), I'd change it at 5K. But I don't see the harm if you're running Syn

Old 09-28-2015, 03:09 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,911 Likes on 4,134 Posts

The factory recommendation for engine oil changes is every 5000 miles or one year; whichever comes first.

Old 09-28-2015, 03:48 PM
Tampa Fatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,440 Likes on 4,753 Posts

Manual is based on dino oils. Personally, I wouldn't change the synthetic, I'd put another 2K on it unless it was going to sit up another 18 months.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:23 PM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Most oil manufacturers (even synthetic) state 5K or one year. Which ever comes first.

You spent a lot of $ investing in your bike, feeding it new oil every year is such a low cost to see it last you a very long time.

Last edited by Gommee; 09-28-2015 at 09:31 PM.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:47 PM
Fat_Boy
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

My opinion would be to change it unless you are going to park it for a while. Then I'd change it when you get it back out again.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:21 PM
smokyheritage
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You've gone the 18 months. When in doubt and you've got the money, just change it. I don't put all that many miles on my bike and will probably do mine before then. It's fairly cheap to do and I'm sure your scoot won't hate you for it.

Old 09-28-2015, 11:06 PM
chief08
Road Master
Received 210 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by TIMHD777
I have committed bike abuse I know! I have only put around 3000 miles on my Heritage in 18 months. It has HD full synthetic oil in it. I am wondering if I should change it because of time or would I be throwing away perfectly good oil away? Thanks for your input.
yes u would be synthetic is good for 10,000 unless it's dirty as hell I would leave it. I use dino oil change it every 5,000. u think if oil sits it will go bad. don't believe all the hype it will be fine. u should ride it more.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:46 AM
0796bob
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Oil

Remember your oil has just as much to do with cooling the engine as it does lubrication in an air cooled motor! Watch your oil temp! If I have sat in traffic and my oil gets to hot I'll change it. As soon as it starts breaking down it won't transfer heat or lube as efficiently. I've changed my oil with as little as 500 miles on it. When you spend 20k on somthing why wait as long as you can ? $20 - 40 for oil and knowing my bike is in top running order is a no brainer for me!

Old 09-29-2015, 07:03 AM
grapeapes
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Its not the oil thats going bad sitting there. Its the contaminates it picks up.
I like Baker's explanation. Figure it applies to the engine oil even more since the combustion has air & carbon.

Q: How often should I change my transmission & primary fluid?
A: At least once a year, and preferably when you do your ‘before’ winter service. Oil, once exposed to oxygen through the vent, will begin to attract moisture and other contaminants that can eat away at seals, rust parts and degrade the fluid. A transmission breathes through the vent in the top cover as it is thermally cycled. As the transmission warms up, it exhales through the vent. As it cools, it breathes in through the vent. The primary drive housing also breathes through the vent in transmission top cover via the hole through the center of the mainshaft. Changing the fluid when warm is preferred as all the oil and its contaminants are in a homogenous solution and you will remove more of the heavy particulates and debris.

http://bakerdrivetrain.com/frequently-asked-questions

Quick Reply: Time to change the oil?